Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Grounding Mod - Alternator Wine

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 02:37 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX - Sedona Red
Angry Grounding Mod - Alternator Wine

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

I'm having some problems with alternator wine after doing the grounding mod.

I have a '02 WRX. I installed two amps a long time ago; one for a sub, the other is a 4-channel for the other speakers. I did it the "lazy" way and ran all the power cables / rca cables on the driver side. Yeah, I know that was stupid and of course, it recreated a pretty noticeable alternator wine. I will be re-doing it here this weekend to rerun the rca/speaker wires on the passenger side.

Today I decided to do the grounding mod. Not because I thought it would help anything (i.e. more hp, etc). I just was bored and wanted to do something to my car. I'm actually not done yet, but so far I've run a 8 gauge wire from the driver-side manifold grounding location to the battery; and ran a 4 gauge wire from the grounding location on the driver-side fender to the battery. I used a Rockford Fosgate battery terminal which required me to change out the stock battery terminal. I used pretty expensive wire and connectors for the whole project.

Once I was done, I took a spin in my car and noticed that the alternator wine was WORST. It was louder and more defined. Any ideas why the alternator wine is worst now? I would think it would get better if the whole grounding system was better.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help. Let me know if anyone has any questions or need pictures.

Thanks,
TheRedWRX

Last edited by TheRedWRX; 11-27-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:13 AM

Car Info: 90' integra ls
take the groundwires off and drive it around again. see its really from the ground wires.