Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Anyone here use diamond audio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 01:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
Anyone here use diamond audio?

Just curious to see what they are like now a days.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:47 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Complete CRAPPPPPPPPP....... Buy JL instead.:banana:
Old 01-14-2004, 02:44 PM

Car Info: GDA
Originally posted by pdqwrx
you're kidding, right?

i know of at least a few other members using diamond audio. i myself am using a diamond audio setup. don't listen to the JL supremacy posted above. go to an audio shop with both brands and listen to them side by side and you'll know what i mean. for subwoofer amps (500/1, 1000/1) JL is *decent*. for components, there are much better brands to use besides JL: focal, diamond audio, dynaudio, etc.

db
Old 01-14-2004, 03:03 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi
I use Diamonds and they sound awesome! Excellent quality too.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:04 PM

also, if you use a Diamond Audio amp, you can use the onboard x-overs to fine tune everything. for example, you can use a 4-channel DA amp (D7054) to run a set of s600 components: both tweeters take up two channels while both mid-bass drivers take up the other two channel output.

it's a bit pricey, but this is a very versatile setup since the DA amp allows you to tweak the output range as well as the gain.

see if you can audition such a setup...you won't be disappointed!

db
Old 01-14-2004, 04:33 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
you're kidding, right?

you're kidding, right?
Perhaps I should have explained a few other things in my post....First, I am a certified IASCA judge that has judged at the many regional and national events, I am also a 15 year car audio store manager/custom installer and my store carries both Diamond Audio and JL Audio as well as Boston Acoustics, Morel, Dynaudio, Eclipse and all your basic car stereo brands. Now as for Diamond Audio- I should have taken pictures of the pallet of amps and speakers that we sent back after our initial amp order having a 75% defective rate and a gaggle of soft dome tweeters blown up, and several woofers that didn't like having tinsel leads attached to them. We sent back something like 20 bogus amps from both the D5 and the D7 lines. Why? Because it was crapppp! Diamond was pretty good about sending us more defective amps though. As of CES this year we are not doing business with Diamond any longer as we can no longer waste our time to sell Diamond amps only to have to swap the customer in to a JL the next day. We would rather just sell better product in the first place. As for failures- The D7 amps are thermally unstable at anything under an 8 ohm load (Even with the internal fans). They are also greatly underpowered for their price. The D5 amps are equally unstable and underpowered plus they "benefit" from poorly designed preamp sections that are extremely sensitive to noise. In there defense, their coaxes sounded pretty good and never blew up.
Now let’s talk about JL. I agree that their Evolution product could sound better, but it is priced right and doesn’t fail. As for the amps that you mentioned, if the JL Audio 500/1 is just "decent" then how did JL sell more 500/1's last year then any other single model amp sold by any company (The 300/2 was 4th or 5th). I find it hard to believe that the number 1 amp sold in America last year was just "decent". They also have one of the best preamp stages available today with more adjustability and control then anything Diamond Audio could even conceive. JL Audio is one of the few companies that still takes pride in the products they make. Cheers
Old 01-14-2004, 05:15 PM

Re: you're kidding, right?

As for the amps that you mentioned, if the JL Audio 500/1 is just "decent" then how did JL sell more 500/1's last year then any other single model amp sold by any company (The 300/2 was 4th or 5th). I find it hard to believe that the number 1 amp sold in America last year was just "decent". They also have one of the best preamp stages available today with more adjustability and control then anything Diamond Audio could even conceive. JL Audio is one of the few companies that still takes pride in the products they make. Cheers
pardon me for not knowing your "qualifications."

regarding diamond's reliability, i have had my setup for over 1.5 years now and have not had a problem to date. the amp has not had any problems...running under an 8 ohm load. the speakers are also warm and lively..sonically, i am ecstatic listening to music on this setup. reliability-wise, i have also been very pleased. having no problems with diamond reliability, i wholeheartedly recommend their products based on my experience.

as for the 500/1 amp, i am running that amp for the reasons you stated above: "They also have one of the best preamp stages available today with more adjustability and control then anything Diamond Audio could even conceive." however, if cost wasn't the issue, i would have gone with zapco.

jl's pre-amp adjustability is indeed impressive. this is probably the very reason why it is so popular...the versatility coupled with its modest price. but to say that diamond audio gear is "crap" when i have had no reliability concerns thus far is unfounded.

again, i speak from my experience. if asked, i will comment on their products based on my experience as i'm sure you will too...

db
Old 01-14-2004, 07:45 PM

btw, i just noticed...where are you located in norcal? i would love to drop by the shop and audition some of your setups as well as to get some pointers from an IASCA judge!
Old 01-20-2004, 10:09 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Re: you're kidding, right?

Perhaps I should have explained a few other things in my post....First, I am a certified IASCA judge that has judged at the many regional and national events, I am also a 15 year car audio store manager/custom installer and my store carries both Diamond Audio and JL Audio as well as Boston Acoustics, Morel, Dynaudio, Eclipse and all your basic car stereo brands. Now as for Diamond Audio- I should have taken pictures of the pallet of amps and speakers that we sent back after our initial amp order having a 75% defective rate and a gaggle of soft dome tweeters blown up, and several woofers that didn't like having tinsel leads attached to them. We sent back something like 20 bogus amps from both the D5 and the D7 lines. Why? Because it was crapppp! Diamond was pretty good about sending us more defective amps though. As of CES this year we are not doing business with Diamond any longer as we can no longer waste our time to sell Diamond amps only to have to swap the customer in to a JL the next day. We would rather just sell better product in the first place. As for failures- The D7 amps are thermally unstable at anything under an 8 ohm load (Even with the internal fans). They are also greatly underpowered for their price. The D5 amps are equally unstable and underpowered plus they "benefit" from poorly designed preamp sections that are extremely sensitive to noise. In there defense, their coaxes sounded pretty good and never blew up.
Now let’s talk about JL. I agree that their Evolution product could sound better, but it is priced right and doesn’t fail. As for the amps that you mentioned, if the JL Audio 500/1 is just "decent" then how did JL sell more 500/1's last year then any other single model amp sold by any company (The 300/2 was 4th or 5th). I find it hard to believe that the number 1 amp sold in America last year was just "decent". They also have one of the best preamp stages available today with more adjustability and control then anything Diamond Audio could even conceive. JL Audio is one of the few companies that still takes pride in the products they make. Cheers
can you drop me a line. I may need some more parts and or installing done by someone I can trust with my car. I am in NorCal as well. The last couple shops I went through were horrible experiences. Broken window which they refused to pay for. Installing cheaper and smaller speakers in my door....like I wouldn't notice....one shop actually stole everything out of my car and resold it in the shop...yes yes that is true believe it or not.

So it looks like you carry good stuff and I'd really like someone that knows subarus.

I am a huge huge fan of JL and not so huge of diamond. There stuff generally sounds awesome but I've also heard similar horror stories from shop owners about failure rates. I nearly bought some for my car but I may go a different route...possibly morel or CDT.

as for JL. I have run several different complete systems the last one/kinda 2 being completely JL. I doubt I'll buy another amp that is not JL. I love them. I ran a 300/4 in my civic with JL XR speakers and VR speakers in various forms. I had my 6x9's in the car for probably 3 years...pounded the living hell out of them and often times people sat in my car and asked where the sub was. They sound that good. I had one amp and one speaker blow and had a huge fiasco with replacing them that ended up costing me a crap load of money but that's cause the installers and the owner of the shop I went through were complete idiots.

I am in the process of doing my system in my wagon. I have a JL 300/4 and will likely add a 500/1 to it.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:48 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi
i have a diamond setup in my STi: hex series 5.5's in the front, and just reg'lar old diamond coaxials in the back....everything is in the "stock" place....and it sounds good, real good, actually.....BUT....
i cant abide the tweeters, they kill me.....rap and most techno is fine, but get a good punk riff on there, and it will drill straight through your ears......and i got the silk tweets, and have them set at negative 2.....

also, i can attest to what pdqwrx was saying about their amps.....i'm on my second amp, because the first one had to be ripped out and sent back......want some advice? stick with alpine amps, ive had the same V-12 powering my JL subs for six years.....and the STi is the third car they've been in....all the diamond stuff is new and finnicky. if i had to do it again.....i would do JL or boston acoustics.....diamond is way to bright, and their amps are subpar.

Last edited by dartheadz; 02-08-2004 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:15 PM

honestly, until this thread, everything i've heard about DA has been favorable to the brand.

instead of arguing, i have to THANK you guys for posting your experience/knowledge concerning the brand. one person's experience might be skewed, but taken together, i believe you guys.

*staring at my DA setup and crossing my fingers*

LOL
Old 03-02-2004, 01:11 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally posted by GReddy212
Diamond subs are very good, they sound awesome and hit hard if you have the right set up... dont buy JL
don't buy JL?

Any reasons behind that? I am yet to hear a single sub that hits harder than a w7 and looks as good doing it. Their stuff is very well engineered and sound incredible. I never got one complaint but got tons of awes and questions when riding in my old car...nothing but JL.

In my wrx I'll be running CDT speakers but JL amps and sub.

Quick Reply: Anyone here use diamond audio?