Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Alpine Type S Sub Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 08:38 PM

Car Info: 2004 Prodrive Suabru Impreza WRX
Thumbs down Alpine Type S Sub Issues

Just as the title reads I'm having issues w/ my sub. Here a little info:

I have an Alpine 9830 deck, Alpine Bap 200 Mono sub amp, and Alpine 12" Type S sub in a sealed enclosure. The deck powers my door speaker which are stock. I installed the deck and Tweeter installed the sub and amp in 10/04.

Last week it was really cold and as I was driving to work my sub started making a rattling noise. I knew it was blown but it surprised me that it happened a fairly low volume level. Now I know the gain on the amp is not up all the way. I haven't touched it since Tweeter installed it. I keep the sub level on 10 (max of 15) on my radio also. have the high pass set on my doors and low pass on the sub.

So I call Tweeter last week and tell them what happened. They ask me to stop by and I do. The sales rep takes a listen and agrees the sub is dust. No questions asked the pull the old one out and pop a new one in. No paperwork no nothing (which I thought was pretty cool). The installer said that he thought if failed due to the cold weather.

So I'm on my way to work 2 days ago and the same thing happens. I haven't had a chance to call or stop by there b/c I've been busy w/ work. It was pretty cold the morning this happened also.

This has got me wondering what the deal is. I paid almost $600 for the sub/amp installed. The sub was $149.99 so it wasn't cheap. I had JL's in my last car and although I blew them more than once it was always at high volume levels and cold had no effect on them.

Anyone else have problems w/ Alpine subs? Type S or other? I'm sure Tweeter will at least replace it again but I'm not sure I want them to replace them w/ another Alpine. I definitely want to drop the car off and make sure there are no other issues with the wiring etc.

Anthony
Old 01-03-2005, 02:08 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

boy, i never had any weather issues with my subs.

i did blow a REFURB'ed soundstream REF SS12... it made a loud whiney noise and then nothing. i then smelled a burning smell...

i did have an old ROCKFORD sub that the magnet literally came off the basket.

but if you are having issues this frequently, i would have the amp taken a look at also...
Old 01-07-2005, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by tahoeturbo
yeah, man, I've blown 3 type-s 12's in the past year.... if your cone is polished, it's no good... but if it's a matte finish.... those are the ones you want. I have one now, and 12 months of hard hitting.... it's still truckin'!
Yeah I have the polished cone. I have an appt tomorrow @ tweeter to find out what is wrong. They were definitely pretty cool on the phone when I spk w/ them. They offered to replace the sub with a JL or another of my choosing. I asked them to check the amp first though. We'll see what happens...
Old 01-30-2005, 01:44 AM

Car Info: 04 Toyota Tacoma
If you do decide to get a new sub, I recommend JL audio. IMO the best subs on the market.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:49 PM

That's exactly what I did. I cost me a little more but I went with the JL W3. It absolutely pounds. It's been about a month and I haven't blown it yet. I think Alpine makes decent decks and amps but I would hesitate to buy their speakers.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I have a Alpine 12 Type R sub...had it since 2001 with a Kenwood Excelon X301 running about 600 Watts mono to it. I don't blast it all the time but I know that the sub's performance hasn't audibly diminished. I'm pretty happy with it but as I wrote up there...I have the Type R not the Type S...I guess there's a lot of difference.