Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Add a line in to stock head?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 03:08 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

if it has options for a CD changer you MIGHT be able to find one from a company that makes add-on cables to use OEM heads with aftermarket changers:

http://www.blitzsafe.com/
Old 11-29-2004, 04:57 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by ldivinag
if it has options for a CD changer you MIGHT be able to find one from a company that makes add-on cables to use OEM heads with aftermarket changers:

http://www.blitzsafe.com/

In a Subaru? The site you post above specifically says it makes nothing for any Subarus at all...
Old 11-30-2004, 07:09 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

well i dont know if the forester offered add-on cd changers...
Old 12-07-2004, 04:47 PM

Car Info: Black 2001 2.5RS
Originally Posted by MattB123
Thanks, but no tape player. I've now replaced the head with an inexpensive Aiwa from Crutchfield that has a mini plug line in right on the face plate. It will also play MP3 CDs, which is pretty cool (100 songs or so per CD). It works pretty well.

But now I have a new problem - my factory option sub woofer isn;t working and I can;t find any info on it. I'm going to start a new thread on that and see if anyone knows anything about it.
damn so the FM transmitter sucks huh. i have heard this about changes that use the FM modulator as well. But i to just got a stock 05 head unit for my 04 sti.... i want to be able to get some good sound outta my ipod mini.,..... when santa brings it.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:23 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX wagon, Stock... for now
Originally Posted by testify4
There is a way to kludge an aux in port on the Forester factory radios. There is a 13 pin DIN connector on the back. Why it is there, we do not know (since the factory unit already has a 6 disc changer) but pins 1-4 are line level inputs.

The kludge is that it mixes the input with whatever source is playing on the unit. You get around that by burning a 75 minute blank CD. Play the CD, pipe your source in to the head unit, and you get a crystal clear input.

Check ScoobyMods.com for the whole writeup. You can get a 13 pin DIN cable for about 6 bucks, which you then solder a phono jack on to. Works great!

Only problem I am having is with my XM radio. My MP3 player sounds awesome, but the XM has some kind of input issue I have been trying to work out.
Is it just me, or is ScoobyMods a tough place to find info? I signed up for an account and still couldn't view half the posts. Maybe a problem on my end, but seemed like it was privledge/pay orriented site.

Anyhow, the easiest (though not as inexpensive as the mod above) is a FM modulator (NOT TRANSMITER) These are the same units that aftermarket CD changers use to connect to non integrated head units. They sit inline with the antena right before it goes into the head unit, and thus don't have a much better success rate than the external FM transmiters working off the cigarette lighter or the iPod's power. You can grab a modulator from most stero shops for about $40.

Chris
Old 01-02-2005, 01:13 PM

Well,

I got another email from Scoobymods, and was able to get my account straightened out. Much easier to navigate when you have access to all the threads I'm pulling my factory HU out in an hour to see if the 13 pin din plug is there. If so, I'll jam down to the electronics store, see if they have one and go from there. In looking at the pinout there are some unknown pins. It could well be that if one of those is shorted to ground or jumpered to another pin, the HU would internally switch (if the functionality is there) off the other sources (discs and radio) which would then circumvent the need for the blank CD which is the only semi hokey part about the mod. As long as my 05 WRX HU has the 13pin plug, I'll be doing this and would be happy to share my experiences. If it doesn't I'll just got to a hard line FM modulator and suffer with slightly degraded sound quality.

BTW, there is a big difference in quality between an FM modulator like the ones used for CD changers, and a small FM transmitter like the Itues etc. Especially in LA, there is just no way the transmitter solution can compete with the over-crowded airwaves.

Chris
Old 01-02-2005, 09:12 PM

Bad News...

The 05 WRX head unit does not have the 13pin plug that the Forester HU has. Sooo, I had to opt for the FM modulator. Clean install, with only the 3.5 mini plug poking up through the lower center console. Tapped power off of pin 10 on the stock HU plug, and ground off the same ground that is going to the chasis of the HU. That should eliminate any feedback loops. I used a portable CD player to test (my iPod wasn't available) and it sounds pretty good. We'll check it tomorrow with the iPod.

For reference I used a Farenheit PLL (phase loop lock) FM Stereo Modulator PN EFM-01. $39 from Good Guys, an inexpensive RCA 6' minjack-male RCA $4.99, and (2) wire taps. After a near miss on scratching the center plate with a taped screwdriver, I switched to an assortment of plastic kitchen spatulas to pry the required interior panels.

First you pull out the ash tray. Then you unscrew the shift ****. Next you pry up the trim ring around the shifter boot, disconnect the plug going into the cigarette lighter, and remove that portion of the console. You then unscrew the two screws under the arm rest and up where the lower center console meets the dash(right under the shifter boot plate you just removed). The last portion of disassembly is to remove the center plate that houses the HU and HVAC controls. There are two screws at the bottom and the rest of the assmebly clips in. Carefully pry it loose up top on the sides and it will come loose. Then gently move it to the side (I didn't disconnect the HVAC controls) while you remove the 6 phillips head screws securing the HU to the interior. As you pull out the HU, you'll notice a nice little cubbie hole where you can mount your FM Modulator without any interference in fitment from the HVAC controls or the HU. You can either tap your 12v swtiched lead on the cigarette lighter, or on pin 10 of the factory HU loom (if I rememer correctly its the yellow wire with a green stripe). http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/att...achmentid=1961. I pulled the ground off the same lead going to the chassis of the HU in hopes to avoid a ground loop situation. I think that so long as I don't use a 12 charging aparatus for the iPod, this should be fine. If I DO pickup a hum when using a car charger, I would tie a ground from the cigarette lighter to the ground on the HU chassis.

I'm in the LA area and used 89.5 as my station to transmit on, and it seems to work fine. It sucks that I had to shell out a little coin for an adapter with less than perfect sound quality; but because the Alpine HU that I'd prefer to have in the car would most assuredly intice one of the local thugs to smash and grab, I felt that compromising on the quality of sound was a prudent manuver while my parking situation is in its present state.

Hope that helps,
Chris

Quick Reply: Add a line in to stock head?