Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

2006 front speaker mounting depth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 02:50 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX-TR
2006 front speaker mounting depth?

I have my 2006 WRX TR on it way here (late feb. delivery date), and I was in the process of ordering some stereo bits for it. It was looking at my friends 2005 and the pictures of the 2006 on the web, and noticed that the speaker area on the front doors is slightly diffrent. Does anyone know if this diffrence effects the possible mounting depths of front speakers? Thanks for all your help...
Old 01-15-2006, 06:05 PM

Car Info: 2006 wrx limited sedan
speaker mounting depth has been discussed numerous times, do a search under "front speakers, mounting depth etc etc" and youll find numerous threads and what you find may not be the exact answer you are looking for because there are numerous opinions on what will and will not fit. what you need to do is determine what your budget for front speakers is. do you want to do components or coaxials? all the wrx's have thin doors which dont allow a very deep speaker to be installed without some modifications. the factory size is 5 1/4 while most audiophiles opt for 6.5's. any reputable install shop should be able to make adapters for you or if you plan on installing them yourself there are spacers/adapter rings available from innovative auto performance. there is a link to their site on this forum. the deeper speaker you try to put in the more work youll have to do like fabricating a thicker spacer ring and also spacing the door panel away from the speaker so it does not rub. rather than do all this i opted for focal v-slims which are designed for cars with smaller mounting depths. they fit great, all you need is an adapter ring to allow the 6.5 size speaker. most install shops already have these made up and would probably sell you some if your intention is to do the install yourself.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:10 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX-TR
[QUOTE=equinn2823]Text...QUOTE]

I have read extensivly on the subject, here, iwsti, and several other forums, and the general thoughts are that speakers more than 2.8" are going to have problems, and even then, you are looking at thining the molded in grills etc. The speakers I am planing on using are 2.8" exactly, and so I was hoping that the re-designed grills on the 2006 wrx would give me alittle extra room without moving the window tracks and other tricks (other than spacers, which I know I will need no matter what).
Old 02-09-2006, 05:09 PM

Car Info: Bastard child of Saab and Subaru.
I have 6.5 Focal Utopias which are almost 3" deep. I didnt cut any metal, but I had to shave a screw a little bit, and space the door panel. Looks factory. You can also space the window bar back... This is an 05 though.