Why does everyone in here like drifting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 11:35 AM

Car Info: Silver bugeye sedan
I'm not the biggest fan of drifting, but being a car nut makes it difficult for me to not enjoy watching it. The machinery is always interesting, but the sideways nature makes me think of the ultimate motor sport, rally! Above all, rally is king. Second to rally is road circuit racing. Most every other motor sport holds my interest, except swamp buggy racing and NASCAR.

Just my opinion,
lugnutz
Old 11-19-2004, 01:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Giant Bowery '84
Originally Posted by icantdrive75
Actually, IIRC, drifting was started by I blieve the guy in 'Drift Bible'. I think his name was Takumi...and he drives an 86...I dunno. Some japanese guy. But anyway, this Japanese guy, who may or may not be the guy in drift bible, started drifting during road racing. Actually using it as a driving technique.

This isn't the drifting that you see today which is, obviously, not meant to be fast. Originally it was a method by which you could carry more speed into a corner, exceeding the tire's grip. At first he was considered wreckless, I'd be freaking out too if the guy in front of me was doing scandanavian flicks into corners. How're you supposed to pass that?

He eventually gained the respect of the other drivers, altho, I don't believe he ever won any races. While the original KEICHII TSUCHIA!!! THATS THE ****ERS NAME. While the origins of drifting are most likely the mountain races in Japan (togei for all you JDM folks out there), this is where it was introduced to the world. Japan anyway.

I'm a fan of drifting, just because it's fun to watch, and fun to do. Who doesn't like sliding around in their car? I have AWD and I miss my civic some days, Simply because I wanna pull the ebrake in a random parking lot, and I know I can't because of that damned center diff.

I may be making all of this up.

Danny
You sounded very contradicting in someway. Tsuchiya also used the drifting technique in circuit racing during rainy season back in the 80's. Tsuchiya might have created the Supa Unten Dorihutingu Tekuniku (a.k.a. usdm drift bible), but he adapted some of his techiques from a predecessor drifter of a 70's and 80's racer. I forgot his name, but he had raced with Prince Skylines (Original Manufacturer of Skylines before merging with Nissan). But I'll find his name and let you know. Which also made me wonder what kind of sports car did Nissan had before the Pince merge and the Datsu merge since Datsu had the Z.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
I use to like drifting, until I drifted into the side of a mountain.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 PSM STi
I may be making all of this up.

Danny
I love you

oh snap!!
Old 11-19-2004, 01:43 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
i had my car going completely side ways. my buddy behind me saw both of my head lights. it was uber scary but i pulled it out.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:49 PM
9 to 5 mod

haha the wing on top of those is funny
Old 11-19-2004, 08:45 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX -- RIP
Originally Posted by hey1
You sounded very contradicting in someway. Tsuchiya also used the drifting technique in circuit racing during rainy season back in the 80's. Tsuchiya might have created the Supa Unten Dorihutingu Tekuniku (a.k.a. usdm drift bible), but he adapted some of his techiques from a predecessor drifter of a 70's and 80's racer. I forgot his name, but he had raced with Prince Skylines (Original Manufacturer of Skylines before merging with Nissan). But I'll find his name and let you know. Which also made me wonder what kind of sports car did Nissan had before the Pince merge and the Datsu merge since Datsu had the Z.
Yea, like I said, I don't really know what I'm talking about. The point I was making is that it did begin as racing, whereas others in this post were saying drifting was never meant to be fast.

And about pulling the ebrake, I am the one in the black wrx you see above. Pulling the ebrake, and having a **** load of fun. Its not that you can't pull the ebrake, its just really bad for your center diff. Since I haven't put the time into learning differentials that I have engines, I can't tell you why it's bad, I just know...*creepy eyes*.

And as for you Kim.

STOP PLAYING WITH MY EMOTIONS!!!!

Danny

EDIT: I forgot to address the whole Initial D thing. Yea I know tak is the initial D thing. That was a joke. Not a great one apparently. And I guess I spelled touge wrong...I just like spelling it how it sounds, cause other wise I say "tooj".

And you can keep playing with my emotions if you want. Just, uh, kiss me on the back of the neck first.

Last edited by icantdrive75; 11-19-2004 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:01 PM
VIP Member

shut up and get your stupid facts straight. j/k
Old 11-20-2004, 12:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 PSM STi

And as for you Kim.

STOP PLAYING WITH MY EMOTIONS!!!!

LOL, im sorry i'll try and stop
Old 11-20-2004, 12:50 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
I am not talking about where drifting started. It may have been from a circuit race or rallying...whatever. It is the sport of drifting today that i was talking about. Not a race and was not supposed to be at all.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: GC8 v5 Impreza
Originally Posted by LifePlaza
Just wondering.

I was apart of a drift team that compeited in D1 and Formula D for the past 2 years, and I still hate drifting.

Maybe I hate it because I was the guy who had to fix the damn car and all that drfiting is just a demonstartion of car control, not racing.

I'm not into drifting, road race is more exciting for me.

Cause you are slipping out of control...but you're not...

actually, some girl said that, not me.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:44 PM
9 to 5 mod

monkey you liar that was you
Old 11-20-2004, 05:59 PM
VIP Member

Perhaps, it brings you the adrenaline rush similar to the ones brought to you from racing. Like I said, "Perhaps."