Why does everyone in here like drifting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 03:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Why does everyone in here like drifting?

Just wondering.

I was apart of a drift team that compeited in D1 and Formula D for the past 2 years, and I still hate drifting.

Maybe I hate it because I was the guy who had to fix the damn car and all that drfiting is just a demonstartion of car control, not racing.

I'm not into drifting, road race is more exciting for me.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:58 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
dude you go out with the drift queen what are you tlaking about
Old 11-18-2004, 04:12 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by sigma pi
dude you go out with the drift queen what are you tlaking about

bah

I do not go out with the drift queen
Old 11-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by landsharkca

tlaking <------- mike your slipping
no no no you're slipping.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:47 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by landsharkca
drifting sux ***** drifters are guys who can't road race

tlaking <------- mike your slipping

Thank you

anyone else think mike sux *****.....er I mean drifting sux *****
Old 11-18-2004, 05:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Giant Bowery '84
you guys should compete and see who can slam their suby into the back of a semi first.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:40 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
I like drifting and road racing. No Nascar though...blahh
Old 11-18-2004, 06:45 PM
VIP Member

don't get me wrong, I like working on cars but drifting is just an exhibition, not racing. I've been watching speed and tech tv and I hate how they call it "drift racing." They're runs aren't even timed. Everything is based on showmanship like figure skating.
Attached Thumbnails Why does everyone in here like drifting?-180.jpg  
Old 11-18-2004, 06:46 PM

Car Info: MY04 WRX
Originally Posted by Cyrus923
I like drifting and road racing. No Nascar though...blahh
same here...tho only watching side by side drifting....none of that solo stuff no fun in it. and remeber drifting started in rally
Old 11-18-2004, 06:49 PM

Car Info: MY04 WRX
Originally Posted by LifePlaza
don't get me wrong, I like working on cars but drifting is just an exhibition, not racing. I've been watching speed and tech tv and I hate how they call it "drift racing." They're runs aren't even timed. Everything is based on showmanship like figure skating.

drifting is fun to watch...roadracing is fun to do....

(tho i have yet to roadrace....WANT TO THO!)
Old 11-18-2004, 10:02 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
I agree, drifting is not racing and was never set up in that way to begin with. Your scored on points for style and what-not, but just because the TV or some mags. say its "drift racing" doesn't mean that it is. We all know it's not, but why do you not like something just because its labeled by ignorant people something that its not?

I like it because it is a skill not easliy picked up. That is evident in that since it has been popular in Japan for so long the drivers are the best. Like anything to master, it takes time and practice. That is why no U.S. driver can match up yet. Plus all in all, side by side cars with enough hp to break the wheels out and slide around corners uncontrollably while still maintaining control is pretty killer to watch.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:06 AM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX -- RIP
Originally Posted by Cyrus923
I agree, drifting is not racing and was never set up in that way to begin with.
Actually, IIRC, drifting was started by I blieve the guy in 'Drift Bible'. I think his name was Takumi...and he drives an 86...I dunno. Some japanese guy. But anyway, this Japanese guy, who may or may not be the guy in drift bible, started drifting during road racing. Actually using it as a driving technique.

This isn't the drifting that you see today which is, obviously, not meant to be fast. Originally it was a method by which you could carry more speed into a corner, exceeding the tire's grip. At first he was considered wreckless, I'd be freaking out too if the guy in front of me was doing scandanavian flicks into corners. How're you supposed to pass that?

He eventually gained the respect of the other drivers, altho, I don't believe he ever won any races. While the original KEICHII TSUCHIA!!! THATS THE ****ERS NAME. While the origins of drifting are most likely the mountain races in Japan (togei for all you JDM folks out there), this is where it was introduced to the world. Japan anyway.

I'm a fan of drifting, just because it's fun to watch, and fun to do. Who doesn't like sliding around in their car? I have AWD and I miss my civic some days, Simply because I wanna pull the ebrake in a random parking lot, and I know I can't because of that damned center diff.

I may be making all of this up.

Danny
Old 11-19-2004, 07:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LifePlaza
all that drfiting is just a demonstartion of car control, not racing.

exactly! The ultimate in car control going sideways at +70 mph with a car inches away and not crashing, I think thats a feat of its own. Road racing is where its at but damn drifting is awesome to watch!
Old 11-19-2004, 08:29 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by icantdrive75
Actually, IIRC, drifting was started by I blieve the guy in 'Drift Bible'. I think his name was Takumi...and he drives an 86...I dunno. Some japanese guy. But anyway, this Japanese guy, who may or may not be the guy in drift bible, started drifting during road racing. Actually using it as a driving technique.

This isn't the drifting that you see today which is, obviously, not meant to be fast. Originally it was a method by which you could carry more speed into a corner, exceeding the tire's grip. At first he was considered wreckless, I'd be freaking out too if the guy in front of me was doing scandanavian flicks into corners. How're you supposed to pass that?

He eventually gained the respect of the other drivers, altho, I don't believe he ever won any races. While the original KEICHII TSUCHIA!!! THATS THE ****ERS NAME. While the origins of drifting are most likely the mountain races in Japan (togei for all you JDM folks out there), this is where it was introduced to the world. Japan anyway.

I'm a fan of drifting, just because it's fun to watch, and fun to do. Who doesn't like sliding around in their car? I have AWD and I miss my civic some days, Simply because I wanna pull the ebrake in a random parking lot, and I know I can't because of that damned center diff.

I may be making all of this up.

Danny
takumi is from initail D. togue is mountain pass. you can pull the e brake, ive doen it b4. all you need to do is have a sway bar, and do some massive wieght shifting. i have drifted the WRX before it was scary

Quick Reply: Why does everyone in here like drifting?