ISP DSL CABLE nerd talk

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:14 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
cable is awsome
i had DSL and that sucked

where is that one bandwidth test i did here at work where i was over 30000.0 Kbps
Old 01-18-2008, 10:17 AM

Car Info: oh seben lay-gah-C
Originally Posted by kenji815
digital cable internet. @@ huh?? digital cable TV still uses cable line except it receives digital signal instead of analog signal.
Unless US decides to put in fiber optic like korea. DSL and cable is all the same.. they both suffer from certain issue.
In the mean time, I still prefer cable over DSL. Now if the central office for DSL was closer to my home. I might have picked DSL.
The good and bad is totally area based.
cable wires carries signal better than phone line.
what do you mean put fiber optics like korea? what do the korean do differently?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 AM
9 to 5 mod

i had DSL and we werent far from the building less than half a mile and some times we would go to 100k

my cable kicks *** 5mb-3mb

to solve this problem everyone move to the ghetto

make a new thread!!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 AM

Please, spread the word. As most of you know, and to those that don't: you need a spanking, there is a marked difference between the two.

Throughput is the amount of information (pulses, bits, frames, packets, etc...) that can be sent through a conductor while it is under the stresses of real-life operation. These include improper wiring (crossed pair, anyone?), EMF or Magnetic Flux disturbances and noise, the Johnson's dog digging up your backyard, or plain old-fashioned, good old American collisions.

Bandwidth is the amount of information it is physically possible to send through the media of choice (copper, fiber, the Johnson's dog). This is the number you get when you sit down with your trusty TI-82 and the impedence charts from Physics and calculate out how many bits per second can be sent through a foot of copper/fiber/whatever.
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node...ode_id=1140332

after majoring in EE and having friends in EE I never adopt the bandwidth as speed though I do stand corrected that is is a synonym to throughput but speed or not.. before you edit your post, you can't say it's "no it's no the amount of data that's able to be transfered."
Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Pooparu
Originally Posted by silentkry
what do you mean put fiber optics like korea? what do the korean do differently?
My Korean friend had told me the entire Korea city infracture were layed out with fiber optic years ago. They anticipated and need for better communication infrastruture.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:22 AM

My Korean friend had told me the entire Korea city infracture were layed out with fiber optic years ago. They anticipated and need for better communication infrastruture.
so you're takling about like a city full of fiber running to their house?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:24 AM
VIP Member

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node...ode_id=1140332

after majoring in EE and having friends in EE I never adopt the bandwidth as speed though I do stand corrected that is is a synonym to throughput but speed or not.. before you edit your post, you can't say it's "no it's no the amount of data that's able to be transfered."
no you are correct. I'm just saying by limiting speed that's how ISP does it and it's in direct relationship of limited amount of data that is tranfered.
But it's not like a cellphone minute where they will limit you to X amount of GB you can d/l.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:26 AM
VIP Member

Hmm for some odd reason I can't edit my post using firefox today.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 AM
VIP Member

so you're takling about like a city full of fiber running to their house?
not their homes. I can't confirm that. But their main infrastrutures are layed out with fiber optics from waht I heard.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:46 AM

dam, the mod is on his game today.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

cmon mike get on it. and move those other threads over..!!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:51 AM
9 to 5 mod

HAHHAHA i do my job and the thread goes to the job of moding hahahaha
Old 01-18-2008, 12:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: rx8
dude, don't even get me started on my cable internet service... i have time warner cable now (city of chino hills) and since i've activated the service i've had 2 service calls, at least 5 outages (i had an outage 2 nights ago) and for the past week i was on the phone every night to call about sloow speeds. they "say" 7mbits down/1.5 up but lately i've been seeing about 1.5 down and .3 up... that translates into my 56K modem is faster...**** i think my cell phone internet is faster. my latency times to a site like google.com were all 100ms+ or just timed out... it gets better after 1am and gets slower progressively during the day to a crawl at night. i'm guessing theres just a lot of kids doing p2p crap killing my internet in this area but WTF.

and about the metered caps, it's reported that TWC is going to go this route - pay as you download - WTF is that, it's like back when cell phones you used to pay by the minute??
Old 01-18-2008, 12:24 PM
9 to 5 mod

screw them
screen shot the bandwidth test and say im not paying

a few times a month

they wont charge you and they will fix it

at least they did for me when i had DSL
Old 01-18-2008, 12:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: rx8
it suffer from poor phone line infrastructure because it just piggy back off exisiting phone line.
Also depend on your distance from your main hub your signal gets weaker if you live far away from main hub.
Copper line loses signal strength over distance.
Like I say, you may be lucky that you're close to the central office. but Cable upload > DSL upload speed.

FIOS is the way to go but verizon doesn't offer that at my place yet. 15mpbs up/down>>>>>cable . i think pablo mentioned he had fiber optic, u bastard hehe...

Quick Reply: ISP DSL CABLE nerd talk