awsome IM conversations

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by soggynoodles
could be the rear struts. I've started hearing that noise on my sti too

the rear struts are known to clunk on the sti's.
get some extra fog covers i hear that cures it
Old 04-18-2006, 10:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Meep Meep!
Originally Posted by kenji815
Jerry, there are no master mechanics in this world that can tell you what is wrong with your car just by you describing the sound.

I know that, that is why I was trying to explain to you what I was doing when I heard the sound... Then again, the popping sound is all that I really have to go on. I wish I could provide a more adequate definition, but that is all I have.

Soggy: Yeah i've read about the rear strut clunk problem on over on nabisco, but most ppl have that clunk at low speeds, or when they are powering through turns. In my case, I am hardly moving at all. It only seem to happen when im going up a steep enough driveway which promotes a good amount of flex to the springs. The sound is pretty distinct, I mean i've turned off my radio, and opened my windows. You can clearly tell its coming from the front wheels. Sometimes it's 2 pops one after another, sometimes it's both at the same time, and other times it's just juan.... With that said, I'm not sure that it's the same problem... But then again, im a n00b so I don't know.. =|
Old 04-18-2006, 10:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
don't like noise. Buy a legacy
Old 04-18-2006, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by LifePlaza
don't like noise. Buy a legacy
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like noise. Shat, If was worried about noise, I most DEFINATELY bought the wrong car, hehehe.. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't falling apart at the wheels because of the springs or something.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:20 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by UberMaus
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like noise. Shat, If was worried about noise, I most DEFINATELY bought the wrong car, hehehe.. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't falling apart at the wheels because of the springs or something.
Well if you're worried about someone miss-installing something, check it out yourself.

The spring component has no where to go so the odds of it failling is slim. The clunking noise your hearing is the stock strut re-bounding all the way and the spring does not have enough area to cover it. When the strut begins to bound and merge witht he spring that's the noise you're hearing.

Cars are meant to fail in break in controlled areas. Ask any engineer they will tell you the same thing.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:25 AM
VIP Member

Well if you're worried about someone miss-installing something, check it out yourself.

The spring component has no where to go so the odds of it failling is slim. The clunking noise your hearing is the stock strut re-bounding all the way and the spring does not have enough area to cover it. When the strut begins to bound and merge witht he spring that's the noise you're hearing.

Cars are meant to fail in break in controlled areas. Ask any engineer they will tell you the same thing.
Thanks....
Old 04-18-2006, 11:29 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
i was gonna guess axle

and eddie is just stealing my story
Old 04-18-2006, 11:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Pooparu
Originally Posted by sigma pi
i was gonna guess axle

and eddie is just stealing my story
i posted that just for you mike... after heard that story you told last time..
Old 04-18-2006, 12:22 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
I know that, that is why I was trying to explain to you what I was doing when I heard the sound... Then again, the popping sound is all that I really have to go on. I wish I could provide a more adequate definition, but that is all I have.

Soggy: Yeah i've read about the rear strut clunk problem on over on nabisco, but most ppl have that clunk at low speeds, or when they are powering through turns. In my case, I am hardly moving at all. It only seem to happen when im going up a steep enough driveway which promotes a good amount of flex to the springs. The sound is pretty distinct, I mean i've turned off my radio, and opened my windows. You can clearly tell its coming from the front wheels. Sometimes it's 2 pops one after another, sometimes it's both at the same time, and other times it's just juan.... With that said, I'm not sure that it's the same problem... But then again, im a n00b so I don't know.. =|
ARRGGHHH!! strut clunk. This has been prevalent on all Stis since their release here. I am at 20k and I hear no clunk. I must be one of the lucky ones. Go to iwsti.com and they have had discussions on it. I heard that usually ppl who do sus mods get the clunk (even a sway bar), but sometimes it happens to stock sus setups. Some ppl thought it was a bad seal on the strut, a loose sus joint or the strut bottoming out. Last time I looked ppl seemed to fix it by either replacing the clunking strut or re applying grease to the seals. Either way, I don't think that there is a closed solution to this problem yet. Plus, there hasn't been any type of safety issues resulting from the clunking so best bet is to just keep an eye on it. (or an ear)

Tim
Old 04-18-2006, 12:28 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by samurai
ARRGGHHH!! strut clunk. This has been prevalent on all Stis since their release here. I am at 20k and I hear no clunk. I must be one of the lucky ones. Go to iwsti.com and they have had discussions on it. I heard that usually ppl who do sus mods get the clunk (even a sway bar), but sometimes it happens to stock sus setups. Some ppl thought it was a bad seal on the strut, a loose sus joint or the strut bottoming out. Last time I looked ppl seemed to fix it by either replacing the clunking strut or re applying grease to the seals. Either way, I don't think that there is a closed solution to this problem yet. Plus, there hasn't been any type of safety issues resulting from the clunking so best bet is to just keep an eye on it. (or an ear)

Tim

listen to the engineer who puts freakin lasers on shark heads
Old 04-18-2006, 12:31 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by samurai

Tim
Thanks for the input Timmay.. I don't mind the clunk at all, as far as noise is concerned, plus it only happens when i'm about to park on an incline.... I've checked out Iwsti, nasioc, as well as I-club and most ppl were having issues with the rear, and under slightly different situations. I was mainly concerned that, it was an early indication my wheel was going to go AWOL on me while merging onto the freeway, especially with track day coming up. However, If no one has really reported safety issues about it, then whatever. Clunks, bangs, fangs, bongs, ***** do not bother me hehehe
Old 04-18-2006, 12:33 PM
VIP Member

Clunks, bangs, fangs, bongs, *****
A filipino, vietnamese, chinese family?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:36 PM
VIP Member

A filipino, vietnamese, chinese family?

lol sure why not.. No color lines...
Old 04-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by kenji815
wow you knew that from the "ding ding" how amazing...
i bow down to norcal master mechanic...
Thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 03:45 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
I was mainly concerned that, it was an early indication my wheel was going to go AWOL on me while merging onto the freeway, especially with track day coming up. However, If no one has really reported safety issues about it, then whatever.

If the archives on IWsti.com go back far enough, there was a guy whose passenger/front BBS rim broke at the spokes. The wheel from the bolts up to half the spoke stayed on while the rest of the wheel flew off somwhere else. He denied overtorquing the wheel bolts, but who know what happened there...

But yup, so far, no safety issues resulting from that so.. carry on...

Tim

Quick Reply: awsome IM conversations