Yesterday's Technology at Today's Prices

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 04:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
04+ wrx's like to go boom even easier than 02~03 wrx's. damn epa mandated open loop delay.

that said... soggy, you should buy this
Old 01-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by sperry
Hey dude... want a UniChip?

All you need is a MBC (I got one of theose just lying around too), an up-pipe, TBE and you should be good to go w/ my crappy engine management!

Serously, I'd sell the MBC (it's a nice TurboXS screw-adjustable one) and the UniChip/EFi/Harness for like $100.

...assuming you can run an MBC on your car. I hear rumors that '04+ cars straight up can't use 'em.... Aaron?
Yea, in the 04+ MBC are a no no.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '94 SVX, '02 WRX
Someone drop some tech on me about this "open loop delay"... I've never heard any details.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
IIRC, open-loop delay = really, really bad partial throttle, full boost if the ECU isn't managing stuff. It doesn't start dumping fuel (open-loop) soon enough to prevent issues if you're running more boost than stock, since the closed maps assume you're running at a certain boost level when you're actually higher.

EPA voodoo to keep from dumping fuel into the motor when its not necessary.

Partial throttle, full boost = slagged pistons
Old 01-13-2005, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Aaron@S-S
IIRC, open-loop delay = really, really bad partial throttle, full boost if the ECU isn't managing stuff. It doesn't start dumping fuel (open-loop) soon enough to prevent issues if you're running more boost than stock, since the closed maps assume you're running at a certain boost level when you're actually higher.

EPA voodoo to keep from dumping fuel into the motor when its not necessary.

Partial throttle, full boost = slagged pistons
So basically, there's a delay between close to open loop switching that can mean the car is at full boost in closed-loop for longer than the simple parial throttle conditions we were seeing on the 02-03 WRXs?

I can see how that's bad.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:20 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

So basically, there's a delay between close to open loop switching that can mean the car is at full boost in closed-loop for longer than the simple parial throttle conditions we were seeing on the 02-03 WRXs?

I can see how that's bad.

Yeah, like 1-2 seconds. Injectors go from <60% duty cycle at full throttle at high RPM to ~90%, but only after a significant delay; EGT's shoot up to almost 1700 degrees, AFR's are like 14.5+

Bad stuff. I guess more accurately would be partial fueling, full boost, but that's basically throttle anyways.

They're trying to minimize open-loop conditions. A reflash from a good tuner ()will eliminate the issue, because the closed-loop maps are more accurate, and open-loop parameters are adjusted.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:21 PM
VIP Member

Yeah, like 1-2 seconds. Injectors go from <60% duty cycle at full throttle at high RPM to ~90%, but only after a significant delay; EGT's shoot up to almost 1700 degrees, AFR's are like 14.5+

Bad stuff. I guess more accurately would be partial fueling, full boost, but that's basically throttle anyways.

They're trying to minimize open-loop conditions. A reflash from a good tuner ()will eliminate the issue, because the closed-loop maps are more accurate, and open-loop parameters are adjusted.
Is that just an attempt to get better mileage results? Or is that a side effect of going to the fly-by-wire throttle?
Old 01-13-2005, 05:28 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Is that just an attempt to get better mileage results? Or is that a side effect of going to the fly-by-wire throttle?
More about mileage, as the DBW doesn't add more than .25ms tot he response time; it's enough that you notice it going from a DBW to a cable-driven car, but not on the same scope we're talking here.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:31 PM
VIP Member

More about mileage, as the DBW doesn't add more than .25ms tot he response time; it's enough that you notice it going from a DBW to a cable-driven car, but not on the same scope we're talking here.
I thought it might be an issue w/ the DBW programming in the ECU, not so much a delay due to the computer actuating the throttle.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

I thought it might be an issue w/ the DBW programming in the ECU, not so much a delay due to the computer actuating the throttle.
That suspicion has been raised; stranger still is that the issue doesn't seem to affect every car. Particularly, it looks like it's a constantly learning curve, where beating on the car will accelerate the switch to open-loop, while grannnying it delays it. The performance can be changed by just a day or two's worth of driving, which is a considerably faster learn rate than most of the other ECU parameters (in terms of advancement, the ECU is quick to cut values for safety.)
Old 01-13-2005, 05:59 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Is this an issue with the STi DBW? Does it have the same OL/CL delay? I haven't heard of a lot of STis having issues breaking.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:45 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
bump this, I want more info on this. Where did this open/closed loop information source from? I have seen a lot of posts on forums about this, but after googling, I can not find a reliable source of the bad side effects of this open/closed loop.

I just have a catless uppipe in my 04 wrx wagon and after 12K miles I am getting CELs P0544/P0546. I am thinking of getting EcuTek tuned after learning about this, assuming its true. =x
Old 02-26-2005, 09:52 PM
VIP Member

there's a sticky in the 2.0l forum over on nabisco all about it. engine management will fix the problem.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:16 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Originally Posted by RussB
there's a sticky in the 2.0l forum over on nabisco all about it. engine management will fix the problem.
nasioc IP banned me. =(
Old 02-26-2005, 10:27 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mcdrama
nasioc IP banned me. =(
congrats. i got barned a while back, but not IP banned.

Quick Reply: Yesterday's Technology at Today's Prices