Who's signed up for Google Talk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 04:29 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by Aaron@S-Squared
use JAbber to connect to the Googletalk servers, works in Trillian Pro..

hooptywagon at gmail dot com
There was a rumor that Google Talk was going to be built from Jabber, but it looks like they just used their own client. I'm thinking of switching to a multi-IM client, which is betterer, Jabber or Trillian?
Old 08-25-2005, 04:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Google Talk is using jabber.

also, Jabber isn't analgous to Trillian. Jabber is a protocol. Trillian is an application.

So, Trillian is the beter multi-IM client
Old 08-25-2005, 04:33 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
Ah, thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Yeah, Jabber actually a pretty neat protcol (or more correctly, a pretty neat set of protocols), but was completely useless when it first came out.

The wierd thing is that it is totally decentralized. So, rather then connect to say "ICQ" or "AIM" you connect to a specific Jabber server, and hopefully its the same one all your friends are connected to (which in most cases, is true).

Looks like Talk will just be one massive Jabber server, so it'll still hold true, but since a whole lot of people will join the service, it'll seem more like a centralized service.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:20 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I use GAIM as my IM client. Freeware, open source, stable on a variety of platforms, not as bloated as Trillian although not quite as feature-rich, either. Works fine through my router/firewall.

"Gaim is a multi-protocol instant messaging (IM) client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows. It is compatible with AIM and ICQ (Oscar protocol), MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, SILC, GroupWise Messenger, and Zephyr networks.

Gaim users can log in to multiple accounts on multiple IM networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on AOL Instant Messenger, talking to a friend on Yahoo Messenger, and sitting in an IRC channel all at the same time.

Gaim supports many features of the various networks, such as file transfer, away messages, typing notification, and MSN window closing notification. It also goes beyond that and provides many unique features. A few popular features are Buddy Pounces, which give the ability to notify you, send a message, play a sound, or run a program when a specific buddy goes away, signs online, or returns from idle; and plugins, consisting of text replacement, a buddy ticker, extended message notification, iconify on away, spell checking, tabbed conversations, and more.

Gaim runs on a number of platforms, including Windows, Linux, and Qtopia (Sharp Zaurus and iPaq).

Gaim integrates well with GNOME 2 and KDE 3.1's system tray, as well as Windows's own system tray. This allows you to work with Gaim without requiring the buddy list window to be up at all times.

Gaim is under constant development, and releases are usually frequent.
"

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 08-25-2005, 11:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
I guess I'm behind the times, I don't have a gmail account