what would you do if you were being followed? (was: got a question)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 02:54 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
Originally Posted by pozzi
that will be nice when he pulls in behind your car and blocks all hopes of leaving!
if someone is that serious to follow you, don;t plan on stopping...
pulling into res neighborhoods you know and loosing them in the maze of suburbia is normally the best bet...or exiting the freeway and doing manuvers thru gas stations on the corner is always a nice ditch effect.
but never stop! geez...what are you....NEW?
haha, nah, you pull into a parking spot, if he pulls in behind you, back into his car once he gets out...not only will you ***** his car, but you have a chance of hurting him as he's getting out of a laterally moving car...
this is all last resort of course contingent upon you not being able to ditch him in the maze...
Old 12-21-2005, 05:37 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM WRX
Originally Posted by pozzi
that will be nice when he pulls in behind your car and blocks all hopes of leaving!
if someone is that serious to follow you, don;t plan on stopping...
pulling into res neighborhoods you know and loosing them in the maze of suburbia is normally the best bet...or exiting the freeway and doing manuvers thru gas stations on the corner is always a nice ditch effect.
but never stop! geez...what are you....NEW?
thats what was in my head, im not going to stop for nothing, and im not gonna let this guy find out where i live.. about 5 seconds B4 i decided to take off i was pulling up to a shopping center that was mostly empty, it was about 10:30 pm... this was when i made my decision to take off, i figured if this guy doenst turn in the shopping center, theres no other possible coincidence of why he may be following me, so i took off...took a roundabout at about 35mph, and hit the top of 2nd before i had to slow down and turn .. well when i was right when i hit the top of 2nd (65-68 mph) that i saw flashing lights..as it turned out it was a cop.. i have no idea what to do now, still shocked and still feel like i was entrapped...what alot of ppl have told me is, the 1st thing u do when sum1 is following you is find a very lit or poulated area and lead them there.. or lead them to police dpt or fire dept, or call 911....but that completely defeats the purpose of not stopping or slowing down.. and dialing 911 to tell your story and get help would take so long that id have to keep driving and possibly make the situation more tense, or risk screwing up.. thats defeats that... the thing that makes the most sense is to try to lose the bastard... my safety is alot more important than obeying traffic laws. atleast thats how you feel in that situation.. so i dono, is my way of thinking wrong?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:43 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
I'd take it to court (if you have the time to deal with that).
Old 12-23-2005, 11:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
someone really was following me one night (like 3 in the morning). I must have done something to **** them off. Anyways, I was on my way home and I was paranoid that they were following me, so I didnt take the easy way home. I was on a 2 lane highway, and when it widened to 2 lanes each way, I get going 55 (65 mph speed limit at that point) and the guy wouldnt pass me! so I moved over...he still wouldnt go by me. So anyways, we're coming up to the exit I need to take..I'm in the left lane, hes in the right lane. We get up to the exit, and since we were the only people on the road I slammed on my breaks, went behind him, and took the exit. He was in an SUV so he couldnt stop in time to follow me, although he did try. It was kinda freaky
Old 12-23-2005, 12:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Technically what you should do, is maintain your speed, place your hazards on and drive to a well lit populated area and call the police. Never drive home, don't shoot anyone, and don't try to dust them (could be a cop). Hazards will signal you know they are there, maintain speed as to not endanger yourself or anyone else, well lit populated area to deter any sort of action on the followers part, call the police so they can shoot the bastard.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:58 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
I was sitting in German Village (Columbus, OH), mostly brick streets, parallel parked waiting for some friends once. I noticed a silver catera w/ dark tint, chrome wheels, and a really loud stereo drive by, four occupants. I wouldn't have noticed it had it not been for the stereo. Anyways, they drive by again the other direction, kind made the hair on the back of my neck stick up, but I didn't really do anything. Third time I see them coming up in my side mirror, so I hit reverse to give myself room to nose out, at this point they're turning around in the street in front of me. I check traffic quickly as I'm cutting the wheel and bringing the revs up then take off. Suffice it to say I was driving . . . fast thru these narrow brick streets. Tires were making a ton of noise because I had limited traction and was braking hard and making quick turns. Ducked into an alleyway behind a building a few blocks away and sat for a minute, called my friends told them to get the hell out there, that we were leaving. Still not really sure what it was all about, but I got yelled at by a cop who happened to be in the area (no citation) and was paranoid the rest of the way home.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:06 AM

Car Info: 04 wrx
Hit the brakes .. they'll drive right by ..
Old 12-24-2005, 09:51 AM

If an unmarked car tries to pull you over and you don't stop won't you get in trouble for running from a cop?
Old 12-24-2005, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by T-Will
If an unmarked car tries to pull you over and you don't stop won't you get in trouble for running from a cop?
not if it's unmarked and you drive normally, but it would be prudent to get on the phone w/ dispatch or 911 and explain.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:06 PM

How do you "get on the phone" with dispatch? Can you just call them right up?
Old 12-24-2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by T-Will
How do you "get on the phone" with dispatch? Can you just call them right up?
yes. 911 works as well, if you dont happen to know, or 0 if you know what city you're in.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jdepould
not if it's unmarked and you drive normally, but it would be prudent to get on the phone w/ dispatch or 911 and explain.
now see if i wouldve know THAT, i wouldve just drove to my house 2 blocks away and made him get a real cop and cite me in my damn garage, but i did not know that, is there sum kinda guide book of what to do when your being followed? sounds ridiculous but apperently i need it cuz i have no idea what im talking about...i guess i am completely 110% in the wrong for running from an unknown car who has followed me.. again if he had noticed i was doing sumthing questionable or if sumhing i did caught his eye( dont think i did), i would rather him pull me over 3 miles earlier rather than follow me til i did sumthing worse.. and for the record, a marked patrol car did not come to his aid... another unmarked car stopped for a few seconds and took off.. just dont understand.. wutever fnck it ,it happened
Old 12-25-2005, 05:11 PM

If you have time to take it to court, I would at least explain it, and say that you're not trying to get out of the ticket, but that you'd like to explain the context of the citation. If you're reasonable about it (depending on the judge) they will probably take it into consideration.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by jdepould
If you have time to take it to court, I would at least explain it, and say that you're not trying to get out of the ticket, but that you'd like to explain the context of the citation. If you're reasonable about it (depending on the judge) they will probably take it into consideration.
thats exactly what i had planned, i know im not getting this overturned but i just want to explain what happened, even if i dont get a reduction or anything, or even if the judge atleast understands where im comning from, that would be a moral victory for me.. i already did it, there was a little bit of bad judgement on my part.. i did break the law but under different circumstances i wouldnt have done that.. well see
Old 12-26-2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by midnitewrx02
thats exactly what i had planned, i know im not getting this overturned but i just want to explain what happened, even if i dont get a reduction or anything, or even if the judge atleast understands where im comning from, that would be a moral victory for me.. i already did it, there was a little bit of bad judgement on my part.. i did break the law but under different circumstances i wouldnt have done that.. well see
good luck!

Quick Reply: what would you do if you were being followed? (was: got a question)