What parts of Sac to avoid. Input please

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:21 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM Impreza WRX/ 1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
Originally Posted by newyorkreload
I like how the favorite pats of Sacramento people name off, are not Sacramento. The city limits go north/south from north highlands to the Florin area and east/west of the Sacramento river to Watt ave.
You are very right. lmao. Personally I'd like to live out off of grant line/open houses with quiet land, ranch murieta, Elk Grove, Folsom, Roseville/Rocklin. None of those include Sacramento, hence I do not want to live in Sacramento. hahah

No matter where you go, there will always be a good and bad part of down. Can't be avoided. But as for places to stay away from, I'd say Oak Park, South Sac (everything from Florin over), and West sac near the downtown side <---- not so much bad, but theres always something going on. Or druggies walking around and what not. Just uncomfortable.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
I would suggest staying on the Davis side of the causeway.

IMHO, Elk Grove is going down hill. Lots of foreclosures so that should give you an idea of the future trouble, and the commute from there will suck.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by docdrey
How do you answer this question without sounding like a total racist?
lol. this.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Originally Posted by azer408
You are very right. lmao. Personally I'd like to live out off of grant line/open houses with quiet land, ranch murieta, Elk Grove, Folsom, Roseville/Rocklin. None of those include Sacramento, hence I do not want to live in Sacramento. hahah

Should I have mentioned there was a reason I moved to Canada?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:58 PM

Hahahaha, to be honest I'd love to live in Canada as well. Primarily because the Economy isn't **** from what I know, and the weather is what I love.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:10 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by newyorkreload
Natomas has the highest foreclosures (like top 10 in the state bad), so it has the potential for the most future trouble.
i have to say, the trouble has actually lessened since the foreclosures started in earnest. the hood rich folks cant afford to live here anymore now that they cant suck equity out of their houses constantly and had to go elsewhere.

renting in natomas has always been cheap, and its even cheaper. buying a house anywhere in Sacramento is probably a bad idea unless you plan to live here for a decade or so.

why not try to actually live in davis? its a nice place as long as you don't live to close to the college or too close to the ghetto.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:34 AM
plays well with others

heres my thoughts...

AVOID
  • South Sac - aside from a few small neighborhoods east of UCDMed this area is pretty rough
  • Citrus Heights - lots of petty crime/property crime
  • North Highlands - lots of murders. my cousin has had two people murdered in her front yard on two separate occasions... they've only lived in that house for 2 years
  • del paso heights - ghetto
  • south natomas - lots of former criminals and registered sex offenders
  • rancho cordova - few nice streets nestled in a ****hole.

Average Hoods
  • Fair Oaks - good schools and neighborhoods at every price point. lots of small greenbelt areas scattered around. not a whole lot of community in this area (generally speaking) outside of church/school organizations.
  • Carmichael - ranges from good to bad. good public and private schools. many quiet neighborhoods with big lots. - some areas are totally trashy.
  • Roseville (most areas) - new areas tend to be nicer than the old ones. lots of shopping... ****ty commute to davis though.
  • Orangevale (southern part) - nice because it touches fair oaks. same benefits. elks lodge has pancake breakfasts.
  • Arden/Arcade (some hoods) - mostly nice but there are some pretty ghetto areas. its the original Sacramento 'burb
  • North and West Natomas - decent schools (charter, private, and public), good restaunts etc. its all cookie cutter homes though and is ground zero for the foreclosure mess. (full disclosure, i live in north natomas)
  • Old Folsom - nice area. old craftsman houses, easy access to lightrail and outdoor activities. decent shopping/restaraunts/bars. good schools
  • "New" Folsom - just like natomas but with hills and more sqft-age.

Best Hoods:
  • Curtis Park - one of the exceptions to the "south half of Sacramento" comment
  • Tahoe Park - same as above
  • Elmhurst - same as above
  • Woodlake - tiny neighborhood right next to the river, surrounded by madness. awesome houses, quiet streets, easy access to downtown
  • Arden Hills/Garden of the Gods - arguable the best areas in Sacramento. seriously good schools (public and private). pricey.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:45 AM
plays well with others

also, you could always go live in the hills like Paul and spend your days hugging all your sweet guns
Old 12-16-2010, 11:13 AM

Car Info: Wrb bugeye
I've been in elk grove for 16 years and watched it go down hill. But for a general rundown of the latest news and their areas. At the second Saturday festival in old town sac there was gang violence that resulted In a murder. Just the other day in what I'd consider south sac a mother was gunned down and 4 were injured also due to gang violence. This is a little further out but in Wilton 2 of my friends got shot at a party,also gang violence. New low income apartmnts in elk grove... Everywhere including around the corner from my house which might be an attributing factor to Why 3 of my cars have been broken into... In my driveway

ya just move to Canada
Old 12-16-2010, 04:10 PM

You have horrible luck. I've came from a rundown neighbor hood from essj to medowview when I first came to sacramento. So it doesn't really seem bad to me but I do see what you're coming from. As for thefts, no one I know who doesn't leave their **** out in the middle of the car or who doesn't have a commonly stolen car has the problem. ie: honda, some toyotas, etc.

Not once has my car been messed with and I park on the sidewalk and live on a corner, I know theres gang violence but thats everywhere. No way to get away from that. And yeah, those low income apartments to take part in the rise in crime but I also think it's the lack of **** the kids in the neighborhood have to do so they go click up and join some gang, making them a part of something and giving them something to do.

On a side note, how's Candia and what part you stayin at?
Old 12-16-2010, 11:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
I live in a town about 70 miles north of Calgary, there are about 90k people here. So it's not too Mayberryish. Most work for oil companies so the local inflation is kinda crazy. But other then it being crazy cold (10-15f all week), it's not bad. I've been pretty stress free now that I'm away from the craziness of Sac town. When I walk around downtown (all five blocks of it) I've not once had anyone ask for change.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:53 AM

Car Info: 2007 Impreza WRX TR
Originally Posted by irrational x
heres my thoughts...

AVOID
  • South Sac - aside from a few small neighborhoods east of UCDMed this area is pretty rough
  • Citrus Heights - lots of petty crime/property crime
  • North Highlands - lots of murders. my cousin has had two people murdered in her front yard on two separate occasions... they've only lived in that house for 2 years
  • del paso heights - ghetto
  • south natomas - lots of former criminals and registered sex offenders
  • rancho cordova - few nice streets nestled in a ****hole.

Average Hoods
  • Fair Oaks - good schools and neighborhoods at every price point. lots of small greenbelt areas scattered around. not a whole lot of community in this area (generally speaking) outside of church/school organizations.
  • Carmichael - ranges from good to bad. good public and private schools. many quiet neighborhoods with big lots. - some areas are totally trashy.
  • Roseville (most areas) - new areas tend to be nicer than the old ones. lots of shopping... ****ty commute to davis though.
  • Orangevale (southern part) - nice because it touches fair oaks. same benefits. elks lodge has pancake breakfasts.
  • Arden/Arcade (some hoods) - mostly nice but there are some pretty ghetto areas. its the original Sacramento 'burb
  • North and West Natomas - decent schools (charter, private, and public), good restaunts etc. its all cookie cutter homes though and is ground zero for the foreclosure mess. (full disclosure, i live in north natomas)
  • Old Folsom - nice area. old craftsman houses, easy access to lightrail and outdoor activities. decent shopping/restaraunts/bars. good schools
  • "New" Folsom - just like natomas but with hills and more sqft-age.

Best Hoods:
  • Curtis Park - one of the exceptions to the "south half of Sacramento" comment
  • Tahoe Park - same as above
  • Elmhurst - same as above
  • Woodlake - tiny neighborhood right next to the river, surrounded by madness. awesome houses, quiet streets, easy access to downtown
  • Arden Hills/Garden of the Gods - arguable the best areas in Sacramento. seriously good schools (public and private). pricey.
As a resident of Sacramento for roughly 27 years, this hits the nail on the head.
Although I don't necessarily agree with his "best" hoods, I'd need to know your thoughts on a few things. first - commute, second- political ideology ( this is necessary depending on where you want to live, ie- Southland park, vs. Folsom.) third- do you plan to stay, i.e raise children, you'd want good school districts, high resale, ..... which brings me to another point, rent or buy? Private message me, if you have any other questions.