Well... I figured out why my car was so slow

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 01:18 AM
Troll

Car Info: GT35R White 2005 Impreza STi and a 2000 Camaro Z28/RS
Well... I figured out why my car was so slow

Well today i was driving talking with a fellow sti driver, and we where messing around on the highway a little bit and then pulled into a gas station to talk about some things... I was telling him how my car looses ALOT of power outa no where for no obvious reason, and how when we ran logs on it, it didn't show any signs to why it was loosing power. SO! its now time to leave and head home after talking for awhile...

I start my car up BOOOM cloud of smoke comes flying out the back... Blue smoke to be exact...The motor sounded PERFECT though so i was like hmmm, turned the car off. Then i popped the hood, checked the oil.... Hmm what oil? There wasn't any... So i start looking around and notice that my firewall and the coolant line going into the turbo has oil ALL over it... So i was like well thats just swell....

So i look and we find out it is spraying out of the tube that goes from the wastegate to the front of the turbo... I was thinking thats a pretty damn weird spot to have oil coming out of considering well there SHOULDN'T BE ANY!!..

I decide to get even more adventurous and pull off one on the Front Mount tubes, and what do i find in the tubes?? ALL of the oil that I was missing pretty much, it also had a green hint to it so I tasted it... Sure enough... Coolant was in there too...

Ahh Problem Found!! Turbo = Done for, the seal went back in about 2,000 miles, so this is fun, no more driving my car, luckily it is scheduled to be dropped off already at S-Squared because Nate was gunna figure out why it was slowing down when it got hot... Problem Found and Solved LOL..

I added more oil. And got her home, where she is now crying in the garage
Old 08-28-2005, 01:22 AM

Car Info: Silver 09 STI
sux man, hope everything gets sorted out.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:29 AM

Car Info: Sline
Yeah, that BLOWS. Did u figure out how/why the oils being blocked?
Old 08-28-2005, 01:31 AM

Car Info: 94' GSR, 99' TypeR B18, 99' GSR bumpers, Pearl White Mercedes Benz Paint
Talking

That F'in sucks bro. Hey, maybe now maybe my car'll beat you...muhahahahahahaha. well at least now u cant make me **** myself when i ride in it. the beast was too much power for a shrimp like you.

haha late bro.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:51 AM
Troll

Originally Posted by jvick125
Yeah, that BLOWS. Did u figure out how/why the oils being blocked?

It wasn't being blocked, the seal on the turbo blew straight up... I am thinking what happened is this

Ok I use to only have problems when the car was hot. So what I am thinking is when it got hot, the hole in the seal would expand and stuff would get through causing me to slow down... And since it kept spraying through the hole, the hole just kept getting bigger and bigger.. So oventually tonight it had enough, and just blew completely...
Old 08-28-2005, 01:55 AM

Car Info: Silver 09 STI
Originally Posted by LookingForPower
It wasn't being blocked, the seal on the turbo blew straight up... I am thinking what happened is this

Ok I use to only have problems when the car was hot. So what I am thinking is when it got hot, the hole in the seal would expand and stuff would get through causing me to slow down... And since it kept spraying through the hole, the hole just kept getting bigger and bigger.. So oventually tonight it had enough, and just blew completely...
or it could have been caused by the overheating when you ran out of coolant cause you had no overflow resevoir. i bet that turbo got mighty hot with no coolant.....
Old 08-28-2005, 02:00 AM
Troll

I'm more thankful that, those turbine blades where able to keep intact with all that **** coming through, they could have EASSSSILLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYY Blown off..... And can you say BYE BYE Motor?
Old 08-28-2005, 07:12 AM

Well S-Squared does have a 30-14 in stock if you are man enough
Old 08-28-2005, 08:04 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Did that turbo come with any kind of warranty? 2000 miles is pretty damn low to have an internal seal blow.

Make sure to have your compression checked while the car is in the shop. Hopefully the damage was isolated to the turbo.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:40 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
heh. gg
Old 08-28-2005, 09:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Team Brown
where did you get that turbo from?

cause there should be a warranty on that shyt. I would be pissed right now cause like you said that shyt couldn't have went straight into the motor and byebye
Old 08-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Troll

Originally Posted by MARKSTI
Well S-Squared does have a 30-14 in stock if you are man enough

HAHA Don't Tempt me.....

Originally Posted by Egan
Did that turbo come with any kind of warranty? 2000 miles is pretty damn low to have an internal seal blow.

Make sure to have your compression checked while the car is in the shop. Hopefully the damage was isolated to the turbo.

I'm not 100% sure if the turbo came with a warranty or not, Im sure it did. Since it just happened last night I haven't been able to talk to anyone about it. The seal was faulty from the factory is my bet, because It was doing the slow when it was hot thing from day 1, and it kept getting gradually worse now that I think about it.

Originally Posted by Rivers
where did you get that turbo from?

cause there should be a warranty on that shyt. I would be pissed right now cause like you said that shyt couldn't have went straight into the motor and byebye

The Turbo was from Slow Boy Racing

Last edited by LookingForPower; 08-28-2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Team Brown
well if its from slowboy there betta be a warranty on that sucka, well good luck on it
Old 08-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Troll

"Warranty:
Merchandise is warranted against defects of material or workmanship when properly installed. Any claims for damage or defects to products must be reported prior to installation. All merchandise warranties are limited to replacing or repairing any part returned to us which upon inspection, is found to be defective. Claims for labor charges will not be allowed."

Straight from Slow Boy.... Well it was definately a Defect, considering it blew in 2k miles but bleh I don't want to wait months while they "inspect" a turbo that blew in 2,000 miles. the ONLY thing it could be is a factory defect, its not like S-Squared installed it wrong and it blew lol.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:35 AM

Car Info: 05 STI
Originally Posted by LookingForPower
"Warranty:
Merchandise is warranted against defects of material or workmanship when properly installed. Any claims for damage or defects to products must be reported prior to installation. All merchandise warranties are limited to replacing or repairing any part returned to us which upon inspection, is found to be defective. Claims for labor charges will not be allowed."

Straight from Slow Boy.... Well it was definately a Defect, considering it blew in 2k miles but bleh I don't want to wait months while they "inspect" a turbo that blew in 2,000 miles. the ONLY thing it could be is a factory defect, its not like S-Squared installed it wrong and it blew lol.
It can't hurt to call Mike at Slow Boy and get his take on the situation. Was this the 30-12? I've had mine on now for 7000 miles and 5 track days with no issues.

Quick Reply: Well... I figured out why my car was so slow