Originally Posted by Kevin M
One word dude-

WEBINAR!
/uncle_tickles.jpg
Old 03-04-2008, 10:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by Double Phister
I need a tool or command to tell me what the IP of a device on an Ethernet network is when I know it's MAC. Non-Windows solutions need not apply.

A sniffer would be a last resort.
arp -a?

Assuming it's in your arp cache anyway, which it should be if it's on your network.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
These things (headless WinCE or WinXP Embeded devices with a webserver) are DHCP out of the box. Which also means they are DHCP when they fail.

Most are not connected to a network until someone goes to service it. If they are connected they are almost never on a network with a DHCP server. So they assign themselves a random IP.

So the DHCP solution isn't one.

And doesn't ARP only work if have previously talked to it or you are not using a switch?

I need to be able to have a customer (usually in another state) walk up to one of these things, plug in a crossover ehternet cable and figure out it's IP.

The current method is to install a custom SNMP trap. Powercycle the device. Wait for it to spit out it's IP during boot and get it on the trap. Problem is that for more and more customers this trap isn't working and I can't figure out why. (firewalls or MS updates, not sure). Or they don't have the software and are in the middle of nowhere without internet access.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
point a web browser to www.whatismyip.com?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Father Time

Originally Posted by Nick Koan
point a web browser to www.whatismyip.com?
that gives you the IP (or NAT'd IP) of the machine the browser is on. I need the IP of a box hanging on the wall.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Troll

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec-B
why are you putting boxes on your wall, and why does it have an IP?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 AM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
Don't all boxes that hang on walls have ips?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:00 AM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
is the box going to be changing, or would it be feasible to setup a static IP on each one, and just create a physical map showing all the IPs?

There are a software packages that install on the client computer and communicate MAC address and IP to a host, and archive it for you to see, but again, I don't know if the client computers will be changing all the time or will be static
Old 03-05-2008, 10:00 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
that gives you the IP (or NAT'd IP) of the machine the browser is on. I need the IP of a box hanging on the wall.
http://www.securitysoftwarezone.com/...od2467-24.html
Old 03-05-2008, 10:27 AM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
Name:  Uhoh2.gif
Views: 7
Size:  1.0 KB

Hopefully his programming skills are a little better than his grammar/spelling skills.

NetCut is a Software that helps you admin your network by purely on ARP protocol . List IP-MAC Table in secs, turn off & On network on any computer on your LAN including any device like router , switcher. Also, netcut can protected user from ARP SPOOF attack High intimate :Pure ARP protocol kernel.enhenced cut off funcation, that no one can escape from your cut off unless he have netcut installed and with protected funcation enabled. Easy to use: One click to Protect user Computer Function!!! No one in the network can cut you off with ARP spoof technology anymore . Effective: one Click to Cut down any computer s network connection to the gateway. IYFT:Get all IP addresses of the computers in your LAN(Local Area Network) in Secs High applicability:Work in office LAN,school LAN,or even ISP LAN Have Fun with play the online computer make them online or off line remotely Safe: TRACE Free, No one will TRACE out what happen and last More Stable,swich-hub or hub or cable lan any Lan use Ethernet
Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 AM

engrish?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:12 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
yes, because everyone that codes uses English as their primary language.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:20 AM

hehe, i remember the day I found out my favorite mod for IRC was written by a guy who only spoke German. **** freaked me out...I was like...was he coding in german too. Hehe, I was a dumbass at age 11...
Old 03-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Father Time

Originally Posted by SubyN00by
is the box going to be changing, or would it be feasible to setup a static IP on each one, and just create a physical map showing all the IPs?

There are a software packages that install on the client computer and communicate MAC address and IP to a host, and archive it for you to see, but again, I don't know if the client computers will be changing all the time or will be static
Default setting is DHCP. Changeing to Static would require knowing the IP so you can log in and edit the network settings.

Some fail. When they do the revert to DHCP.

I don't have any problems here in the office getting into these and setting them up. It's just the remote customers that want to do the same thing that I'm trying to solve a problem for.

I just tried arp -a. Only entries are my IP and the router.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 PM

Default setting is DHCP. Changeing to Static would require knowing the IP so you can log in and edit the network settings.

Some fail. When they do the revert to DHCP.

I don't have any problems here in the office getting into these and setting them up. It's just the remote customers that want to do the same thing that I'm trying to solve a problem for.

I just tried arp -a. Only entries are my IP and the router.
but aren't MAC addresses specific to the server? therefore you'd need to know the server IP address inorder to obtain the information?

Quick Reply: IT, Web Dev, Software Development