Time to start saving -/- OR -\- I smoke weed and do 90 on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
You're not thinking this through. Of all alcohol-related deaths, how many of those occured when the alcohol was being consumed safely and legaly? In other words, if you take the ODs and drunk driving out of that statistic, how many deaths are really attributable to alcohol as it is legally allowed to be consumed? My point is, you're using deaths caused by illegal alcohol consumption as an argument that other drugs should be legal too.
If the alcohol was consumed safely and legally-then the people wouldnt be dead-would they? The point is that alcohol is abused more so than any illegal drug.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Troll

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec-B
Originally Posted by mashpro
If the alcohol was consumed safely and legally-then the people wouldnt be dead-would they? The point is that alcohol is abused more so than any illegal drug.

Well then I call bull**** on the 0 deaths because of Marijuana... So you are telling me that NO ONE has died while driving under the influence of Marijuana. I know people tend to drive alot slower under the influence of Marijuana, but their reaction times go to absolute ****. I am sure the death rate for being under the influence of alchy is 1000x more then the death rate of being under the influence of marijuana while driving, but there is no way in hell it is zero...

Unless that study was just based soley on, over-dose of alcohol, and not drunk driving.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by GT35 STI
Well then I call bull**** on the 0 deaths because of Marijuana... So you are telling me that NO ONE has died while driving under the influence of Marijuana. I know people tend to drive alot slower under the influence of Marijuana, but their reaction times go to absolute ****. I am sure the death rate for being under the influence of alchy is 1000x more then the death rate of being under the influence of marijuana while driving, but there is no way in hell it is zero...

Unless that study was just based soley on, over-dose of alcohol, and not drunk driving.
OD's-not drunk driving. I'm still looking for what case study it was linked to so I can source the info.
I will find it, it's just a matter of time.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MOPAR Baby!! yeeaaaahhh
Please post again, and this time reference my point.

You can argue pro-alcohol anti-weed until you're blue in the face but the fact is that the numbers weigh HEAVILY against your arguement.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:51 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by Mr. Furley
You can argue pro-alcohol anti-weed until you're blue in the face but the fact is that the numbers weigh HEAVILY against your arguement.
I'm not arguing eithe rway. I'm just pointing out flaws in the pro-drug argument being made based on accidental death statsitics. And still nobody has addressed that point.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:13 PM
VIP Member

I'm not arguing eithe rway. I'm just pointing out flaws in the pro-drug argument being made based on accidental death statsitics. And still nobody has addressed that point.
Ok well in a perfect world where everyone drank in their homes with their good friends and never left the house until they were sober the number of deaths would be dramatically less. Probably limited to health related problems and some accidentals. But the truth is we dont live in pleasantville and people do drive drunk and act stupid often causing injuries and/or death. In a controlled environment alcohol and weed are probably comparatively safe but the fact is alcohol has a much greater chance of impairing you to a point where you will become a danger to yourself and others. Weed makes you eat ho-ho's, philosiphize and sleep a lot. Is that what you were looking for suv's??
Old 05-12-2006, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Ok well in a perfect world where everyone drank in their homes with their good friends and never left the house until they were sober the number of deaths would be dramatically less. Probably limited to health related problems and some accidentals. But the truth is we dont live in pleasantville and people do drive drunk and act stupid often causing injuries and/or death. In a controlled environment alcohol and weed are probably comparatively safe but the fact is alcohol has a much greater chance of impairing you to a point where you will become a danger to yourself and others. Weed makes you eat ho-ho's, philosiphize and sleep a lot. Is that what you were looking for suv's??
Sigh. You're hopeless. Please explain to us al what alcohol related deaths have to do with prison overpopulation because people are too stupid to

Old 05-12-2006, 01:26 PM
VIP Member

Sigh. You're hopeless. Please explain to us al what alcohol related deaths have to do with prison overpopulation because people are too stupid to
It has absolutely nothing to do with prison overpopulation. I didnt know you were still on that point. I do believe most of the people in prison should be in prison, i blame the "you arent responsible for your own actions" attitude this country has because it has given parents a cop out and they no longer feel responsible for raising their own children. If anything goes wrong or their kid kills 20 people in school "the video games made him do it" or "theres too much violence on tv".
Old 05-12-2006, 02:08 PM

If anything goes wrong or their kid kills 20 people in school "the video games made him do it" or "theres too much violence on tv".
Actually most people that are locked up, are in for nonviolent crimes-a huge jump in those locked up for a drug crime.

The percentage of violent offenders held in the state prison system has actually declined from 57% in 1978 to 47% in 1997. However, the prison and jail population has tripled over that period, from roughly 500,000 in 1978, to 1.8 million by 1998. According to data collected by the United States Justice Department, from 1978 to 1996, the number of violent offenders entering our nation’s prisons doubled (from 43,733 to 98,672 inmates); the number of nonviolent offenders tripled (from 83,721 to 261,796 inmates) and the number of drug offenders increased sevenfold (from 14,241 to 114,071 inmates).
As such, 77% of the growth in intake to America's state and federal prisons between 1978 and 1996 was accounted for by nonviolent offender.
According to data from the Department of Justice, 52.7% of state prison inmates, 73.7% of jail inmates and 87.6% of federal inmates were imprisoned for offenses which involved neither harm, nor the threat of harm, to a victim.
The European Union, a political entity of 370 million, 8 has a prison population,
including violent and nonviolent offenders, of roughly 300,000. This is one-third
the number of prisoners which America, a country of 274 million, has chosen to
incarcerate for just nonviolent offenses.
The 1,185,458 nonviolent offenders we currently lock up represents five times the
number of people held in India’s entire prison system, even though it is a country
with roughly four times our population.

Let me site my source before I forget.
http://www.justicepolicy.org/downloa...toffenders.pdf
Old 05-12-2006, 02:27 PM
VIP Member

I dont support hardcore drugs. Period. There are too many weak minded people that get completely overcome by them and their life goes down the drain because of it, I have seen this happen with some of my friends. I dont think legalizing these drugs is the answer because that wouldnt change the hugely addicting & overpowering effect they have. Is the answer locking all the drug users up? No, obviously thats just going to fill the prisons as evidenced by those numbers ^. We have to do something about all the cocaine pouring into our country from south america which = BORDER SECURITY. But if you want border security you're automatically labeled a bigoted racist so nobody with political clout has the ***** to do soemthing about it because if they do they get reamed by the ACLU.