Texas arrests people for being drunk. In bars.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 11:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Texas arrests people for being drunk. In bars.

wtf

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...OE-UK-BARS.XML

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

"We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said.

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.
Bunch of back asswards hicks.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:53 AM

Car Info: 05' White RS
Sounds like a plan to me. I am sick of bar junkies walking the street and comming into stores.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Meep Meep!
What if it is your birthday, and you didn't drive? You still get nailed?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:15 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

"We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said.

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.
So why didn't they nab them when the got in their cars? How did they know these individuals were going to drive? What if they had a designated driver?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:25 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Seriously. How do they know they weren't jsut going to sit on their *** until they were near sober and then walk wherever they were going?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:25 PM

Heh, here's a quandary. Where is it legal to get drunk? In your private residence/non-commercial property. Where can you get alcohol? Neither of these two places...
Old 03-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Heh, here's a quandary. Where is it legal to get drunk? In your private residence/non-commercial property. Where can you get alcohol? Neither of these two places...
Sounds like you're supposed to buy the booz then take it home and drink it. But then all of the 'mericun bar owners will cry about the lost jobs and outsourcing.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:03 PM

And if you live in a dry county?
Old 03-23-2006, 01:14 PM

Car Info: Sline
This is retarted. Bars are private property, how can they arrest anyone for public drunkeness? It is LEGAL in TX to drive with an open container. Hmmm... THAT might be a place to start their effort to reduce drunk driving.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
Sounds like the same solution they're using for street racing here in Kali.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by pbchief2
Sounds like the same solution they're using for street racing here in Cali.
Arresting drunk people in bars?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by jvick125
Arresting drunk people in bars?
No, arresting people for what they think they might do based on pure wild speculation and the incessant need to powertrip. Seems like it should be illegal..

I was just at a bar a little bit ago and we were discussing this. Alcohol is great for the gov't because they get to make lots of money taxing it, people pay for it, get taxed on the purchase (with their money that has already been taxed) and then the police officers get to arrest you for using it, and make lots of money on that as well. Amazing.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
No, arresting people for what they think they might do based on pure wild speculation and the incessant need to powertrip. Seems like it should be illegal..

I was just at a bar a little bit ago and we were discussing this. Alcohol is great for the gov't because they get to make lots of money taxing it, people pay for it, get taxed on the purchase (with their money that has already been taxed) and then the police officers get to arrest you for using it, and make lots of money on that as well. Amazing.
read my other post, I get the concept. I just didn't understand what PB was saying.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by jvick125
read my other post, I get the concept. I just didn't understand what PB was saying.
Ah - gotcha... Maybe he was referring to that 'street racing educational police video' where the guy was pulled over because his taillights and muffler were modifications that showed intent to street race. Seems about as sensible as arresting drunk people in a bar because they showed intent to eventually make it home. What a crock huh?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
The fact that tinted window, a sticker, or gauges is probable cause enough to pull you over for illegal mods. Arresting you in the bar drinking=the new street racing modification. Everytime I hear of about someone being pulled over they have street racing mods. I was recently(today) pulled over in and asked to pop my hood. I was pulled over for front tint and a blow-off valve in Elk Grove. So after a quick look under my hood the occifer told me I could go, no ticket.

I should mention the fact that I drive a stock n/a audi

Quick Reply: Texas arrests people for being drunk. In bars.