stock ecu vs. s-squared tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 10:26 AM

Car Info: 2005 SRR WRX
Originally Posted by Ali G

Anyone that relies on a road dyno is a moron. I understand using one for a short time while your dyno is on order but that is about it.
I dont condone the name calling here, I met the Equilibrium tuner, Ed, I think is his name. He seemd like a nice guy and even offered me a pretty good deal on a road dyno tuned ECUTek reflash, but I felt having actual dyno tuning would yeild a better and more advanced tune. Just my .02.

Just dont hold one tuners opinion/reslults over anothers as the gospel, especially when they use completely different means of gathering data.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by Killian Maynard
Just dont hold one tuners opinion/reslults over anothers as the gospel, especially when they use completely different means of gathering data.
That is true.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:32 AM

Car Info: XCALABR
there is no lack of trust, nothing against ed, i appreciate him logging the data from the ecu, i just would like some security and the insurance an established shop has. plus i don't know where ed will be after UCD so how would i get to him if i need anything. with gruppe-s, they will be around for a while and in the same place most likely. same reasons why i went to s-s. however the data i got from the ecu with the tune was what made me get it back to the stock ecu.

i can't emphasize this enough. this is NOT an attack or an attempt to hurt s-s. they guys have be great to me. but at the same time, i couldn't sit on the sidelines while my car was running how the ecu saw it.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=
Just dont hold one tuners opinion/reslults over anothers as the gospel, especially when they use completely different means of gathering data.[/QUOTE]

and i am not doing that. more then one tuner has looked that the data and said they had never see one like that.
no other names will mentioned. it's not their issue.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Troll

Originally Posted by calibredwrx
if getting a data log on the road is an issue, why did they do it at s-squared to get the info as well.
Data log is one thing, road dyno is another. I have no issues with a data log but the road dyno is not a tool I would ever trust.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:40 AM

has anyone else data logged their car and seen the negative numbers that are shown in the screen shot of the fine learning table? when i did it at stock, all of them were zeros except for one at -.4
Old 05-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Troll

Originally Posted by Killian Maynard
I dont condone the name calling here,
But you know me, I am all about the name calling...
I met the Equilibrium tuner, Ed, I think is his name. He seemd like a nice guy and even offered me a pretty good deal on a road dyno tuned ECUTek reflash, but I felt having actual dyno tuning would yeild a better and more advanced tune. Just my .02.
What kind of deal did he offer - just curious what he charges. Feel free to PM me if you do not want to post the info here.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:41 AM

to add to my previsous post. it was stock with the mods, some people aren't catching that part.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Troll

has anyone else data logged their car and seen the negative numbers that are shown in the screen shot of the fine learning table? when i did it at stock, all of them were zeros except for one at -.4
I watch my KC all the time through my ECUTEK/PSI3 data monitor. I rarely see my KC below 4 unless the AC is on and it is over 100 degrees outside.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Troll

to add to my previsous post. it was stock with the mods, some people aren't catching that part.
stock with mods? How does that work?
Old 05-03-2005, 10:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I'm sure he means stock ECU map with the exhaust mods (up/turboback IIRC).
Old 05-03-2005, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ali G
Data log is one thing, road dyno is another. I have no issues with a data log but the road dyno is not a tool I would ever trust.

even to get the data log while running the car hard through a road dyno?
the data log just reads what the ecu is doing and seeing, so why not under hard use? just a question, not an attack.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by nKoan
I'm sure he means stock ECU map with the exhaust mods (up/turboback IIRC).

correct, thank you, and sorry i couldn't word it like that earlier.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Troll

even to get the data log while running the car hard through a road dyno?
the data log just reads what the ecu is doing and seeing, so why not under hard use? just a question, not an attack.
I do not trust the road dyno numbers. DeltaDash generates HP/TQ numbers based on how fast the car accelerates from a to b based on the weight of the car (not sure if you input this or it has a set weight based on the type of car that DD detects). So if you are driving hard down a hill you are going to go from 0-60 faster than you would if you were accelerating up a hill. This variance will throw off the results of the HP test.

It is all about measuring how fast the weight of the car can be accelerated. Since there is no HP sensor or TQ sensor in the car that gives these readings, they have to be calculated based on readings from other sensors including the vehicle speed sensor among others.

I do trust hard data/readings from real sensors. And I do believe that something with the tune you had may not have been playing nice with your car. The real issue here is that you should have allowed them to make it right and if they did as you seem to be saying that should have been the end of it. But instead you slammed them through the help of another "tuner" and their bandwidth for document hosting. This not only speaks volumes about your integrity but also that of the other "tuner".

Does that make sense to you or did I type too fast?
Old 05-03-2005, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
the average delta dash owner doesn't have access to the fine learning tables. i believe you need the full version that tuners have for that.

Quick Reply: stock ecu vs. s-squared tune