stock ecu vs. s-squared tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 09:34 AM

Car Info: XCALABR
Originally Posted by RussB
i'm no tuner, but i've spent a lot of time logging my own car before and after being tuned, and at various states of tune...

your tuned logs are in fact showing lower timing, but they're also showing considerably more boost (especially on the upper rpm range) and what's likely a bit leaner afr. your injectors are running about 5~10% lower duty cycles on the tuned logs. does it look safe? sure it does... the IAM is still at 16. even a hint of bad gas or knock will knock that down considerably. the knock correction is a touch low in areas, but that could be any number of things. it doesn't necessarily mean that there's knock, it just means the ecu couldn't add additional timing.

AFAIK, the SS reflashes start with a default IAM of 8 just like the stock ecu. if it's not happy, it won't advance to 16. if it's really unhappy, it will drop.

those dyno plots... what program are they from? they sure aren't from the mustang dyno, and i know they're not from delta dash.

i could hear the knock so i know it was there. along with the car lagging a little for a few hunderd rpm's and then picking back up a fter.

it just boggles my mind how this tune performed just like the stock ecu did with the same mods on the car.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by calibredwrx
I don't doubt their knowledge and mechanical abilities, however, from my experience the tune was not worth it. Seeing as the stock ecu performed at basically the same level the tune did, and there were no knocks with the stock ecu.
So your telling me your "stock" ecu showed the same numbers as a reflashed "ECU"
What magical fairy dust did you sprinkle on your ecu.
This is what a stock ecu car suppose to look it. This dyno sheet is from EQ tuning.

Last edited by soggynoodles; 05-03-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ali G
Ah yes, the "road dyno" feature - the poor man(or is it cheap bastard)'s excuse for not having a real shop and a real dyno.

Did both of those "dyno" graphs come from the same exact stretch of road under the same exact weather conditions with the same exact amount of weight in the car?

Try this for me, do a HP run up a hill then do another run down a hill. Even the slightest hill will do, I bet you get some screwed up numbers.

You are too stupid to have a modified car and as I said before I am glad SS will no longer have do deal with a bath house felcher like you any more.

i believe i heard of someone else starting off this way as well, so it's nothing new.

and what's with the personal attacks, i am not attacking anyone, just simply showing the info. the numbers are doing all the talking, so if you want to, direct all that hostility towards them.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
i believe i heard of someone else starting off this way as well, so it's nothing new.
Bill from I-speed?
Old 05-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Troll

and what's with the personal attacks, i am not attacking anyone, just simply showing the info. the numbers are doing all the talking, so if you want to, direct all that hostility towards them.
Actually the numbers are not doing all the talking, but they say a lot about the person that made them up. In case you are a window licking retard, let me point out that I am talking about you.

There is no way a stock car is throwing down the numbers you claim it is compared to what the tuned ECU put down. That is the plain and simple truth. You are attempting to smear a shop because of a little issue you had and did not allow them to correct. Then you did not lay all the facts out on the table with how they handled the situation and the fact that they refunded your money (or a portion of it because you still have a licensed ECU in your car). You are dishonest and based on your actions anything you say myst be taken with a grain of salt. Please kill yourself.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
i think we all know who's winning the candy this week...

i'm hoping the award integrates dyno graphs and the prize.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:08 AM

once again, the stock ecu with all the same mods on the car that were on it with the tune.
the numbers are straight from the ecu.
they did give me a partial refund however due to the extended dyno time they used on the car to get the tune i ended up with, i was charged for that. not a problem, i understand they have to charge for the use of their equipment. the refund isn't the issue, hence not mentioning it initially.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
calibredwrx, are you planning on getting a re-tune, or has this whole experience turned you off of ECUtek?
Old 05-03-2005, 10:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
If your comparing a ecutec road dyno to a mustang dyno(or any different dyno against another) your not comparing like data as far as power goes. You probably should have taken it to another tuner who has access to a real dyno and listened to thier findings. Good luck with running the stock ecu with the mods you have, I hope you find a tuner that sets up your ecu(or piggyback) to your liking.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
once again, the stock ecu with all the same mods on the car that were on it with the tune.
they did give me a partial refund however due to the extended dyno time they used on the car to get the tune i ended up with, i was charged for that. not a problem, i understand they have to charge for the use of their equipment. the refund isn't the issue, hence not mentioning it initially.
I'm not attacking you, however when calling in to question the service of a shop, you should include all events (like the fact that they refunded your money to try and satisfy you as much as they could), whether you believe the events to be pertinent or not.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:15 AM

Car Info: 2005 SRR WRX
Originally Posted by soggynoodles
So your telling me your "stock" ecu showed the same numbers as a reflashed "ECU"
What magical fairy dust did you sprinkle on your ecu.
Can I ask what mods do you have on your car?
This is what a stock ecu car suppose to look it. This dyno sheet is from EQ tuning.
I'm thinking your so called "stock" ecu isnt so stock unless of course somehow it is just gifted?

My car logged about the same power Soggy with my mods before the reflash, 166whp then up to 212whp after the reflash. So again 193whp with a stock ecu seems very hard to beleive.

Secondly calibredwrx, I too was not 100% happy with my initial tune, sure I never did any data logging or had another tuner edit nates work but I trusted Nates ability to tune and left things alone. What I wasnt happy with really didnt have anything to dowith Nates tune, it was the OL/CL delay present that robbed me of quite a bit of power but instead of doubting Nates tuning ability and immidiately going on the public attack of S-S I allowed time for any changes the car may go through after the initial tune. After nothing changed I called S-S and explained the situation. Nate and Joe gladly took time away from whatever they were doing to solve the issue and make things right. Yesterday Nate spent over an hour on the dyno "taking care of the customer" without charging me a dime. I offered since it did take so long but both Nate'snd Joe's response was "don't worry about it, go have fun" (something to that extent).

So basically, shame on you man, you really should have kept this between you and S-S.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:17 AM

at this point i don't know what to do as far as a tune. i won't go with anything other then a ecutek flash, so the only thought i have now is possibly getting tuned by gruppe-s. if i even get tuned.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Troll

Nobody believes your stock dyno graph. I am guessing that you don't either otherwise you would have made a post like:

"Stock ecu tune with unreal HP numbers"

Instead you came in here attempting an underhand bi-tch slap a great shop with a real tuner.

Anyone that relies on a road dyno is a moron. I understand using one for a short time while your dyno is on order but that is about it.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
at this point i don't know what to do as far as a tune. i won't go with anything other then a ecutek flash, so the only thought i have now is possibly getting tuned by gruppe-s. if i even get tuned.
Not going to have Ed at EQ look at it? It seems he was nice enough make the graphs and to host them for you, but you'd rather take your car to Gruppe-S (nothing against Mike or Ed, I think they're great guys and tuners)?

Why the lack of trust with Ed? I've seen some good looking graphs come from his camp.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:23 AM

i don't know how else to tell you the ecu is back to the stock setting. i only have the uppipe, dp, and catback now and that is what was on my car with those charts.
i also don't know how else to say this but i gave them the chance to fix it, and if getting a data log on the road is an issue, why did they do it at s-squared to get the info as well.

Quick Reply: stock ecu vs. s-squared tune