speedometer off by 3 to 4 mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 11:31 PM

Car Info: 1990 subaru Legacy L Wagon
speedometer off bu 3 to 4 miles

Ok well drove home tonight with wife in lead and she saids she had to slow down to keep with me but my speedometer said i was at the post limit.
when we got home I got the laptop and the GPSand fired it and drove.. it started off as looking not that bad but as i got up to 45 to 50 mph it look like I was off by 3 to 4 mph as the GPs has a lag of a min or 2 so about a mile off + or -.

So what is the fix? I know it livea ble but I like to see if it is fixable.

If I remeber it could be the speedometer cable but I just don't remember what causes this.

I just hope its not the tranny my wife will kill me if it is as we took the last of the tax refund to get this wagon too.(she wasn't happy at the time) She said the wagon ran great all day but for the gas gauge acts up and goes to empty them goes up slowly to near normal.(this hppen to me Sat night too).

I going to take that as some wiring just needing some TLC as the radio wastaken out and some of the wiring is in need of being fixed but there looks to be no cuts just pulled and unpluged from the radio.

There is also some wire that seem to be upluged from some place ot some add on that was removed..

Need a wiring layout to see what is what ..Is there good repair book that has the good wiring layout? I can do electrical stuff if i know what is what but I leave the mechanical to those who know it.

Ok any help or pointer wold be of help

thanks

CC
Old 04-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
You didn't say whether it's off high or low (or which car your wife was driving), which makes helping a little difficult. If it's off high (you're doing an indicated 65, but it's actually only 60mph, it's becasue your tires are either shorter than stock, or very worn. What size are the tires, and what does it indicate on the doorsill plate for recommended tire size?

If it's off the other way, you're likely taller than stock, which is possible. The speedo cable has nothing to do with it, and if it's proportional, it's not the speed sensor either.

There's not really a fix, just do the conversion in your head or change tire sizes to suit.

Pick up a Chilton's or Haynes book at any larger bookstore and it will help you with the basics, but nothing short of a factory manual will have full wiring schematics.

The fuel tank sender is either bad, or has a bad ground. The whole assembly is behind the rear seat, but if you're not sure of what you're doing, leave it to a pro.

A statement like "There is also some wire that seem to be upluged from some place ot some add on that was removed.." is completely useless if you want to get help, as we have no idea what it looks like, where it comes form, where it goes to, whether it's aftermarket or OEM, etc.

On the earlier cars like yours (BC/BF, sedan/wagon), there's a much bigger community at legacycentral.org, and a lot of the guys are heavily into DIY and home repair; you're going to find that most of the community here is working with the newer turbo Scoobs, and Imprezas instead of Legacys, which are completely different animals and have almost nothing in common besides general chassis layout, at least from a troubleshooting perspective, so we're not going to be able to give you the insight some of the LegacyCentral guys can. Basically, very few people here have any experience troubleshooting the older Subarus.

To put in perspective, ther's only 4 guys here that have had a BC/BF in the last few years; one hangs out more on legacycentral, and the other 3 (including myself) owned Legacy Turbo cars that are again very different from an engine management and wiring perspective, and hell, my car didn't even have a working speedo

Not trying to discourage you, just point you towards the guys that are the best equipped to help. Thawa and TheSubaruJunkie over on lc.org are good guys locally who will usually try to help out as well.

The number to the shop I mentioned is (916)442-6409. Joe can go over the car and tell you what's up with it.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:53 AM

Thanks sybir that about what needed to know..I not one to do home repairs but I try do as much as I can before going to a Pro to keep cost down.
I been into sence i was 6 and I use to help re-build wiring harnessess for older cars at one time. I just hate seeing wire hanging and not cleaned up.

Sorry I didn't make that clear on the speedometer. it running below speed I got out with the GPS which is very good at judging speed and it said if i was at 45 on the speedometer I was going 42 to 44 mph.. and what I mark as 50 mph is 45.

I'll go get the tire checked out as they are in good shape and still look new I will check out the tire size in the morning but I think there are the right size paper work cam with the wagon.

the wife was in a SUV ther got her for the weekend but she was right people were passing me on I5 and well I don't want some going postal for my but going to slow.. I'll call Joe and also check out the other forum thanks.

thanks again

CC
Old 04-04-2006, 02:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
BTW, if you take the car to a place with an AWD dyno (hint: DBTuned), they can compare your actual speed (via the rollers) to your speedo speed and give you the difference. I found out that my RS was off by 6mph at 60mph with my Azenis' on.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
Ack, I suck at reading comprehension :\
Old 04-04-2006, 10:01 AM
dz

Car Info: 1996 Mustang GT/2013 Outback Limited
Every speedometer is off to some degree, the speedo in my STi reads 5mph higher than the OBDII data from the ECU. To be honest, I am not sure which is right and I don't really care...
Old 04-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
If it's a cable operated speedometer you can sometimes have a place change some hardware. Don't know where or how much. If it's electronic you can use something like a Black Robotix Yellr Box to skew the pulse signal. Watch out for issues that might come up if each wheel has a speed sensor like for ABS. I'd check the tires first. If the tires are right I would just make a correction with larger or smaller tires the next time you buy new tires.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Troll

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec-B
Originally Posted by dz
and I don't really care...

+1, Don't see the big deal about it... haha
Old 04-04-2006, 04:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Yeah, a lot of STi's seem off (high) by about 3-5mph.

I think its to keep speeding down :roftl:
Old 04-05-2006, 06:25 AM

I did check the tires on the car are p185/70/14 which are one of the listed size in the manual..will deal with it for now.

Ok thanks

Off to DMV land to day to get all the paper work finalized...fun fun...

CC
Old 04-07-2006, 03:21 AM

checked air on tire at what tire shop saids to keep at and what on the dore but I think it the size over all.. will drop by the tire shop and see what they think.

CC