so only I can manage to get a fix it ticket for my hood scoop sizing....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 03:06 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Do you still have the stock hoodscoop?

How is your exhaust modified?

If you have the stock hoodscoop leave the cf one on there and bring the stock one with you. Show it's the same size. Or borrow one.

if you still have all your cats and are running just a cat back. Take it in like that. Let them run it on smog..it's pass. And let them run it on sound..it should pass.

Then get it signed off and keep all the paperwork with you. Make copies and mail them to the police officer that gave you the ticket and his commanding officer with notes about what he said and how you were handled.

If people are just making stuff up because they feel like it, people need to be informed. You can also send a copy to the local newspaper. Make sure everyone knows who has gotten copies of the forms.

too many officers are writing stuff like this these days. ASSUMPTIONS.

IF they want to tag us for exhaust they need to have db meeters on hand or proof they are not legal. I think we're getting hosed. We need to fight for our rights. I've gotten tickets for 100% legal parts. Gone to the ref with the same parts on and passed. just a way for the city to squeeze another $40 out of you.

sick of this crap.

Police will pull over the import car with modified exhaust in a heartbeat all the while watching mustang after mustang truck after truck...etc. drive by with LOUDER modified exhaust...often time CATLESS.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
How is your exhaust modified?
if you still have all your cats and are running just a cat back. Take it in like that. Let them run it on smog..it's pass. And let them run it on sound..it should pass.

Then get it signed off and keep all the paperwork with you. Make copies and mail them to the police officer that gave you the ticket and his commanding officer with notes about what he said and how you were handled.

If people are just making stuff up because they feel like it, people need to be informed. You can also send a copy to the local newspaper. Make sure everyone knows who has gotten copies of the forms. too many officers are writing stuff like this these days. ASSUMPTIONS.

IF they want to tag us for exhaust they need to have db meeters on hand or proof they are not legal. I think we're getting hosed. We need to fight for our rights. I've gotten tickets for 100% legal parts. Gone to the ref with the same parts on and passed. just a way for the city to squeeze another $40 out of you.

Police will pull over the import car with modified exhaust in a heartbeat all the while watching mustang after mustang truck after truck...etc. drive by with LOUDER modified exhaust...often time CATLESS.
as our local CHiP puts it...

Originally Posted by RC51Driver
Okay here it is, and not the short form either because well hell it's Calicu****infornia. Okay you're cruzin along in your 2005 WRX STi runing your nVidia exhaust and your modded pop off valve that sounds like a pressure tank getting ready to blevy and both of them in harmony sound like a ship at two thousand feet getting ready to implode. I'm sitting in my black and white just having finished a glazed donut and a warm bottle of Yoo-Hoo. Let me just clariify first of all that I'm not the type of cop that hammers stuff like this. I'm the same age as most of you guys and a consumate car nut. You will have a better chance of having me stop you to check out your mods than to get a ticket from me for illegal equipment. Okay back to the story. So I need probable cause to pull you over, and well the exhaust is all I need, 27151 (a)(b) says modifying any exhaust system is a no no if it causes it to be louder than the stock one. Yeah yeah well what if it is still within the decibel limits set by the state. Well not my job to measure it, it's my job to enforce it, so there you sit. You figure you are getting a fix it ticket for the exhaust and the officer approaches your window and says, "Hey pop the hood I want to see if everything else is within compliance." " Vehicle code section 2804 and 2805 give me the authority to do this. Now you decide to do the road side attorney trick and say, "Hey pig, get a warrant man!!!!" This is where the saying getting pencil ****ed comes from. Okay so 2804 and 2805 says I can. The cop will tell you this and then he will tell you that if you don't comply with his request you will be arrested for, here comes the clencher, failing to obey a lawful order by a peace officer. 2804 and 2805 makes it lawful, now you've done it. He gets you out of the car, throws the cuffs on, writes the report, the pencil **** part, and well you've just accomplished zilch. Oh yeah and your car just got impounded. I know you guys won't like this but hey that's the harsh reality at the extreme. This will probablly happen when dealing with an older officer. They have zero patience and will go to town on you if they feel you have no respect for their position. The best piece of advise was already given. Don't drive like an ***, be polite. I've pulled lots of people over for driving fast, not thinking,etc,etc. and they were very polite and cordial and walked away with nothing more than a little time taken. Hey I agree, California is where hot rods and car guys were born, but hey if you don't vote then you let these leftist pinko gun hating, car hating ****birds make the laws and well we have nobody to blame but ourselves.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:18 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
I take it that motorcycles are exempt from exhaust noise limits?
Old 07-29-2005, 03:19 PM
VIP Member

correct, "loud pipes save lives"
Old 07-29-2005, 03:25 PM

Car Info: Arm Leg Leg Arm Head
Originally Posted by T-Will
I take it that motorcycles are exempt from exhaust noise limits?
No.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:30 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BLegacy
No.
www.dmv.ca.gov

Originally Posted by R4ND0M_AX3

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:54 PM

Car Info: Arm Leg Leg Arm Head
leginfo.ca.gov

27201. For the purposes of Section 27200, the noise limit of 92 dbA
shall apply to any motorcycle manufactured before 1970.

27202. For the purposes of Section 27200, the following noise
limits shall apply to any motorcycle, other than a motor-driven
cycle, manufactured:

(1) After 1969, and before 1973 ............ 88 dbA
(2) After 1972, and before 1975 ............ 86 dbA
(3) After 1974, and before 1986 ............ 83 dbA
(4) After 1985 ............................. 80 dbA

A co-worker of mine got a citation for loudpipes on his Harley.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:51 PM

Car Info: 2006 Impreza WRX LTD
I was 5th gear 5000 3.149 inches turbo back (no cats) and i'm pretty sure Staties were looking to the sky for the helicopter they thought they heard, since they were stopped on the other side of the hghwy.

next thing ya know two chargers pull me over when i tried to pull into DDonuts off the highway.. hard not to find me i guess. Now i have a modified exhaust ticket 50 bills and its ok.. pay to play but i think im geting a highflow cat dp now since 5th gear @5 grand throws a check engine light an it cuts out hard. (if anyone has experienced this on the 06 wrx please PM me)! thank you

accessport v.2 stage 93 octane-invidia catless bellmouth dp(heatwrapped) -custom 3 in. midpipe (heatwrapped)-shorty intake custom maf mount-rsr cat back(heatwrapped)

Last edited by jdm-w; 03-16-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Troll

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec-B
what the hell....
Old 03-16-2008, 03:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: a blue car
Originally Posted by jdm-w
I was 5th gear 5000 3.149 inches turbo back (no cats) and i'm pretty sure Staties were looking to the sky for the helicopter they thought they heard, since they were stopped on the other side of the hghwy.

next thing ya know two chargers pull me over when i tried to pull into DDonuts off the highway.. hard not to find me i guess. Now i have a modified exhaust ticket 50 bills and its ok.. pay to play but i think im geting a highflow cat dp now since 5th gear @5 grand throws a check engine light an it cuts out hard. (if anyone has experienced this on the 06 wrx please PM me)! thank you

accessport v.2 stage 93 octane-invidia catless bellmouth dp(heatwrapped) -custom 3 in. midpipe (heatwrapped)-shorty intake custom maf mount-rsr cat back(heatwrapped)

....thanks youtube
Old 03-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
LOL@only 5 gears.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:12 PM
banned

Car Info: ummm?
LOL at 3yr old post!
Old 03-16-2008, 05:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Mad Ra88it
LOL at 3yr old post!
seriously, the post is older than the username that bumped it
Old 03-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
welcome back thread.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Team Brown
Originally Posted by Double Phister
LOL@only 5 gears.
lol @ 6 gears only

and ross still hasn't been to a meet.

Quick Reply: so only I can manage to get a fix it ticket for my hood scoop sizing....