S-Squared or Motorsports Dynamics (for tuning)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 11:40 PM

Car Info: black 05 sti
S- Squared or Mot Dyn

I'm in the chico area (STi) and i was wondering if one or the other tuners/ vendors were actually better than the other? or is it personal preference. I checked them both out and i like them both. I know most will say probably SS but i heard Mot Dyn has a STi they tuned to like over 400 hp at the wheels?...but get back to me if you can help me....peace
Old 07-26-2005, 03:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
I'll let everyone who has had a tune/work done at SS chime in, but personally, I don't think you can beat SS for knowledge and customer service. Good luck on your choice
Old 07-26-2005, 04:50 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
I don't think Motorsports Dynamics has much experience with Subarus. You would be better off going with a shop like S2 that does nothing but Subarus all day long and knows the ins and outs and all of the quirks.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:44 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
From what I understand, MD refers most people with Subarus to SS anyway.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:40 AM

Car Info: '02 WRagon
henry (head mechanic/tech/tuner/crazy JDM fresh drifto) or Ray are normally swamped...and i wouldn't trust anyone else down there to tune my car...geo or otherwise...(installs are cool by the others...just no tuning). Nate's swamped too, but they seem to be able to get to your car more quickly...plus Henry is more of a Nissan/Mazda/Toyota guy, where Nate is the subie/evo guru.
take it to S-Sq cuz even if you take it to MD and they're swamped, it may still end up at S-Sq....
Old 07-26-2005, 09:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Motorsports Dynamics seem to deal with a wide range of imports that aren't Subarus. Not to mention they're prices are a bit steep in my opinion. I also had an issue with their customer service years ago... was waiting on parts that were in their shop the entire time and had no phone call from them. But their wheel selection is pretty good as they are a Volk/Gramlight dealer.

I say SS for tuning your STi handsdown.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Mot dyn is awesome, but for Subarus I'd stick to s2.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:17 AM

Car Info: '02 WRagon
Originally Posted by sonicsuby
Mot dyn is awesome, but for Subarus I'd stick to s2.
ditto!
can't cap on MotDyn...they just get overloaded because they've got a great rep and people flock there...besides, it's arguably the best import tuner garage in northern cali...
but S-Sq specializes in five-stars & diamond-stars...so you can't beat the knowledge!
Old 07-26-2005, 10:32 AM

Car Info: 2001 Transmaro SS
No matter who you go to right now, be patient. I know SS is always super mega mega swamped (My car has been in since 7/18 for some borked up AC issue). So I guess the term is "manage your expectations" as far as turnaround time and you should be a happy customer.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:17 PM

Car Info: silver '02 wrx
i had a really bad experience with my WRX and MD. they didn't tighten the bolts holding the drive shaft when i got my clutch and flywheel done. they fell out as i entered the freeway about 2 days later.

when i called they asked if i was sure it was from their work. i brought the car back for inspection to ensure everything else was tight. an hour later and they never even looked at it.

henry said what happened "wasn't too cool." i agreed.

he offered me a "huge" discount on the next item i bought from them. i had already purchased and had them install springs, shocks, wheels and tires at full price.

i never went back.

they are also notorious for not calling you when your parts are in. happened to me with every part i've bought from them.

i know henry is a really cool guy just really left a bad taste in my mouth for their shop.

my $.02
Old 07-26-2005, 05:22 PM

Car Info: silver '02 wrx
almost forgot. when i bought my clutch henry asked if i wanted a lightened flywheel. i said sure, why not. i wasn't familiar with the forums yet and the day after started reading about flywheels and CEL's. like clock work 2 days later my CEL started coming on. i called him and they said they had never heard of the problem before. any subaru tuner would've known and explained the difference between flywheel weights available and why you should get one and not the other. my fault for not resaerching first i suppose but i like to think my tuner knows more about my car then i do.

they are great for honda and mediocre for anything else.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:24 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Read up on tuners and decide.

I'd travel 100 miles for a good tune. Distance shouldn't be an issue

Last edited by soggynoodles; 07-26-2005 at 05:25 PM. Reason: protect the post
Old 07-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX Auto with high hopes :l
I had suspension installed at Motdyn, and I ordered parts, wheels, and other stuff from them. They do some crazy stuff to cars and I think they can do quality work on everything, just like SS. I agree they are both slow, but only because of the fact that they are both totally swamped with work (poor guys). Why not check out some bay area tuners, you drive the distance, but it might not take as long at the shop if you time it right. Gruppe-S (www.gruppe-s.com) does tuning, Vishnu might do in-house stuff but dunno on that, some guy told me he gets all his work done at Subydude (www.subydude.com), but I dunno about that either. In the end, I'd call ahead, way ahead.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:12 PM

Car Info: black 05 sti
Talking Yeah...

YEah...I think S-2 does have more knowledge on STi's but i think i'm just going to distribute my money and time between the 2...hope its a good decision. I want to get my suspension/wheels there. I might just get my other stuff at S2 like the ecu stuff....and about that... is it worth it?? the reflash and stuff? or should i get a whole new ecu...like the HKS or greddy e-manage...(stuff like that)
Old 07-27-2005, 06:19 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Go with the reflash.

Also, I would trust S2 more for suspension seeing as they've done quite a few for Subies and Nate used to work for Ground Control. I'm sure they can match or beat MD's prices and if you were going to have the suspension installed, MD would just ship your car over to S2 anyway.

Quick Reply: S-Squared or Motorsports Dynamics (for tuning)?