question about powdercoating/painting rims in the sacramento area...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:16 AM

Car Info: 2018 STI Limited
question about powdercoating/painting rims in the sacramento area...

Hey guys,

So I really liked the look of the black with red lip 57f time attacks on a black sti and was going to buy myself a pair, unfortunatly someone snatched them up before I could buy them. Well I got to thinking and realized I already have forged bbs and could put that 1500 I would spend on the 57fs towards something I could use a little more, like a stg 2 set up!

So I decided I would just have my gold bbs redone in all black then repaint the lip red. I build models as a hobby so im pretty handy with paint, so I was thinking of doing it myself. I wasn't sure how good that "rim spray paint" was so I was hoping I could get some opinions from people that have used it.

Also I was think of having it professionally done and was wondering if anyone has had it done before where? Hoq much? And how good of a job?

Thanks for any advice

Will
Old 06-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Do not powdercoat BBS's.
Do not powdercoat BBS's.
Do not powdercoat BBS's.
Do not powdercoat BBS's.
Do not powdercoat BBS's.

This comes straight from BBS themselves on questions of refinishing. Done wrong, you anneal the metal and make it soft.

Now that that's clear, get good spray paint like VHT wheel paint, and good primer, and remember that prep is everything. Sanding isn't enough, I'd recommend getting the wheels bead-blasted to get the stock paint off.

You should also probably shop around, lots of people are trying to off or trade silver BBS wheels for golds, and then you're not trashing a good gold set.

The one guy I'd recommend for wheels does it in his spare time and I don't beleive he's particularly interested in working with you.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:45 AM
banned

Car Info: ummm?
Originally Posted by sybir
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Now that that's clear, get good spray paint like VHT wheel paint, and good primer, and remember that prep is everything. Sanding isn't enough, I'd recommend getting the wheels bead-blasted to get the stock paint off.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

The one guy I'd recommend for wheels does it in his spare time and I don't beleive he's particularly interested in working with you.
well....
yes, the VHT paint is perfect.
yes, i paint.
yes, they come out perfect. (WHICH.... considering your history... i dont know if you deserve it.)
BUT, i forget everything....when money is involved.

/SYBIR..Kidatari.. please post pictures for the newb-a-tron.

Will... if you want them painted, and are serious about it. PM me. MANY MANY MANY people here have dealt with me on painting things, comes out perfect...EVERYTIME.

PJBerry/soggy/sybir/kidatari..... anyone wanna speak up? Pics? I'll post some of the intakes(SPT)/Intake(Manifold)/BBS/etc etc.

Last edited by Mad Ra88it; 06-01-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:08 AM

Mad rabbit - if you really think I sold you a dead psp then ill give you the cash you paid for it to clear all this up. But I will stand by the fact that it was working the last time before I sold it to you and have no idea what happened. I'm would never **** someone over like that, I thought maybe you might have broke it and were trying to blame it on me, that's why I blew it off. Obviously if you are still upset then something went wrong on my end, so pm me and we can work something out.

Anyway onwards with what's at hand. So you said not to paint bbs but the moved on to tell me how. So is it really that bad to paint bbs? Is it better to paint silver bbs? Maybe since it hurts the bbs and I don't want to screw up my goldies ill pick up a cheap pair of silvers.

Mad rabbit - before we get into any kind of deal why don't we talk pricing first and what you do to the rims. Also how long does it take?

Thanks guys
Old 06-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

It's not bad to paint them, it's bad to powdercoat them.
Powdercoat = heat cycling which can weaken them.
Paint is fine.

All I was saying on gold vs. silver is that there's usually people who want clean gold BBS's, and you might be able to get a set of silver ones that need work for cheap instead of losing the golds. No difference on painting either color, just the demand on OEM gold.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
Painted with VHT Hi-Temp Wheel Paint by Mad Ra88it.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:43 AM

Car Info: 2006 CGM WRX
so is this a deal with just BBS rims to not powedercoat them, or aluminum rims? a friend of mine wants to get her stock celica gts rims powdercoated black.. which are aluminum...she was also quoted $80 per rim
Old 06-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Forged rims. Cast are fine and I've done multiple sets.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:52 AM

WOW! Those rims are gorgious he does very good work.

I think I will keep my goldies, then I can still rock the classic black on gold look. Plus you are right silvers sell for close to nothing, especially 05s. Is the VHT paint spray can or like a paint sprayer?

Again thanks for all the input
Old 06-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

It's spray cans. You normally have to order it, since you need cases of the stuff (12 cans is a good start for full coverage). You'll need a good primer too, VHT prime coat works well.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:05 AM

Dang 12 cans, well I guess that's right for 4 rims and a good amount of coats.

I already found some silvers so hopefully I can pick them up this weekend and start next week. This was the sti won't be out of commision either.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:19 AM

Car Info: '02 WRagon
plasticoat wheel paint is very good also.

took about 6 cans to do a set of 15" ITR wheels for my integra.
came out super clean.

key is light coats and let them dry for a good base, then a few good coverage coats w/o any runs. i wetsanded in between (w/ 1000 or 1500 grit IIRC).
four coats of high temp clear on top and they looked like new.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:17 AM
banned

Car Info: ummm?
Originally Posted by 1FSTREX
Mad rabbit - if you really think I sold you a dead psp then ill give you the cash you paid for it to clear all this up. But I will stand by the fact that it was working the last time before I sold it to you and have no idea what happened. I'm would never **** someone over like that, I thought maybe you might have broke it and were trying to blame it on me, that's why I blew it off. Obviously if you are still upset then something went wrong on my end, so pm me and we can work something out.

Anyway onwards with what's at hand. So you said not to paint bbs but the moved on to tell me how. So is it really that bad to paint bbs? Is it better to paint silver bbs? Maybe since it hurts the bbs and I don't want to screw up my goldies ill pick up a cheap pair of silvers.

Mad rabbit - before we get into any kind of deal why don't we talk pricing first and what you do to the rims. Also how long does it take?

Thanks guys
I'm over it now. There was a huge Dim spot. You wouldn't reply. I have since sold it.

--It doesnt hurt the wheels to paint...

It takes me a weekend to paint. 2+days to have them bead blasted prior to painting. You'd need to order paint, or you can pay me for the paint and I'll grab it and give you an extra can incase you curb or anything like that later down the line. Pricing.... you can PM me. Or, you can PM Sybir for what I charged him. I have to pay for the bead blasting, which...you could take them there, I don't charge any more for bead blasting then the place does ($70/hr).

Originally Posted by 1FSTREX
WOW! Those rims are gorgious he does very good work.

I think I will keep my goldies, then I can still rock the classic black on gold look. Plus you are right silvers sell for close to nothing, especially 05s. Is the VHT paint spray can or like a paint sprayer?

Again thanks for all the input

Spray can. But, if not done right... you will have runs, thin coats...etcetcetc.

I can take them to get mounted and balanced, which is done by one of the most amazing places around. The BBS pictured above, were mounted at the place I'm talking about, they came out perfect.

PM me if you want prices. I'm really fair with them, considering I do this in my free time, and the quality of the work is amazing.

here are a few other things I've painted.

(Stock WRX Intake Manifold)

(SPT Intake Manifold...I've done 2 of them.)

(WRX Valve Covers...my personal ones, 4coats of primer, 7paint, 3clear)
Old 06-03-2007, 08:51 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by Mad Ra88it
(WRX Valve Covers...my personal ones, 4coats of primer, 7paint, 3clear)
ur motor has been "tuned!"