previous accident and new car insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 11:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
well, if it happened in the rain, just print up this picture and send it to the insurance company...

Old 09-13-2005, 12:18 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
[QUOTE=RussB]well, if it happened in the rain, just print up this picture and send it to the insurance company...

hehe nice lol....i do recognize the accident as being my fault with little expierence in how to properly control an out of control car, im not disputing that...but for ***** sake like no one ever had an accident or almost has in the rain
Old 09-13-2005, 12:39 PM

The real culprit is the definition of an "at fault" accident. I was driving on I-5, when a car in front of me swerved into another lane, and I ran over an 18- wheeler wheel and tire laying in the road. Destroyed two rims on my girlfriend's Lexus. There was no way I could have seen it with the car in front of me (that swerved at the last minute), and yet I was surcharged for an "at-fault" accident.

To top it off, there I am, waiting on the side of the road for a tow-truck, and this other idiot who stopped comes up and asks me if it was my wheel/tire in the road. I told him, "Yeah, I rolled my fenders up to the roofline to accomodate that size tire on an ES-300."
Old 09-13-2005, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
[QUOTE=maddhatteroo7]
Originally Posted by RussB
well, if it happened in the rain, just print up this picture and send it to the insurance company...

hehe nice lol....i do recognize the accident as being my fault with little expierence in how to properly control an out of control car, im not disputing that...but for ***** sake like no one ever had an accident or almost has in the rain
lol, sorry. i wasn't implying that you couldn't drive, i was just making the old re92 joke.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by RussB
lol, sorry. i wasn't implying that you couldn't drive, i was just making the old re92 joke.
thats ok i realized the joke and didnt take offense

i called up the insurance people today and they said they wouldnt know until the company comes to a decision if my rate would go up..i dont see why it would...im going to see if i can get back onto my parent's policy since its cheaper anyways....
Old 09-13-2005, 04:54 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
It will probably go up. Claim or not, there is a record of an accident that you will be fouund at fault for. However, if your rates are decent now, they probably won't be too much horribly higher when you renew.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
you should send them a letter with the question "What do you want to know about it?"

at very minimal it delayes the game they are playing with you.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:46 PM

i called them up and said what happened....i really dont see why they need to know, no one got hurt, i didnt make a claim, i walked away clean....i realize that i got into an accident, but i dont think i should be penalized for having an accident in the rain really.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:53 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by maddhatteroo7
i realize that i got into an accident, but i dont think i should be penalized for having an accident in the rain really.
ummm... yeah you should. You wrecked. Maybe you weren't doing anything stupid, but it's still an accident.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:14 AM

eh its like u being in an accident and getting rear-ended and it wasnt ur fault and still getting blamed for it...thats how it is in CA at least and is incredibly stupid
Old 09-14-2005, 10:07 AM

looks like i probably will be going back to AAA anyways, they are $388 cheaper than mercury insurance for myself. I would be under my parent's policy which isnt a big deal.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by maddhatteroo7
eh its like u being in an accident and getting rear-ended and it wasnt ur fault and still getting blamed for it...thats how it is in CA at least and is incredibly stupid
no it's not.

A: in your example, the driver who rear-ended you would be at fault unless you made a very irresponsible move and caused the other driver to hit you.
B: You caused the accident, thus you are at fault, thus your insurance company will consider you a higher liability.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by sonicsuby
no it's not.

A: in your example, the driver who rear-ended you would be at fault unless you made a very irresponsible move and caused the other driver to hit you.
B: You caused the accident, thus you are at fault, thus your insurance company will consider you a higher liability.
hmm maybe i heard it wrong from a person then...thanks for the insight
Old 09-14-2005, 10:52 AM

Car Info: 05 LegacyGT,06 Black STI Will be home Soon
Originally Posted by sonicsuby
no it's not.

I think in Ca It doesn't matter what the person in front of you did, if you hit him it's your fault, I know this isnt right but that's the way ins companies and cops think.. They say you should have kept the 3 sec rule and drove safely. This happend to my sister just not that long ago and she agrued until red in the face.
Although she was alone and there was 3 in the car that cut her off so 3 against 1 worked in their favor.

GL on keeping the rates down I drive like a grandma these days. I've had my fair share of $300 a month ins for 3 cars
Old 09-14-2005, 02:23 PM

wow well i called AAA to see how much it was under my parents... 3458/yr...and i cant go under them anyways since the financing group (carmax) doesnt re-fi anyways, so i cant put his name on the registration to get AAA under them...but i also asked AAA how much it would be for JUST MYSELF for comprehensive/collision and its 2780!!! jesus christ its MUCH cheaper than my parents! and theyve had AAA for 28yrs w\no tickets or stuff in like forever lol

Quick Reply: previous accident and new car insurance?