previous accident and new car insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 12:45 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
previous accident and new car insurance?

Ok, I wrecked my car 2.14.05 (88 5.0) and i had AAA at the time, i didnt destroy public property and no one was involved in it but myself and i didnt get hurt at all, so now i have mercury car insurance and i got a letter today stating that i need to inform them about this previous accident...i dont get why i need to since it happened under AAA and i didnt make a claim or report at all through AAA or CHP/Fairfield PD....so um...why do they need to know? the letter says:

Dear Mr. --------

Mercury Casualty Company is requesting that you provide the details of the 2/14/05 accident in Fairfield. This information needs to be provided by Septermber 16, 2005. Please remember that all accidents need to be reported to the insurance company.

like i said...the accident was like 2 months BEFORE i got mercury insurance and i never made a claim/statement from AAA or any law enforcement...just took my car and sold it as a non-op to a friend
Old 09-13-2005, 01:10 AM
Troll

Car Info: GT35R White 2005 Impreza STi and a 2000 Camaro Z28/RS
Becuase it still shows up on your record, and they want to see what happened so they know if you are a risk or not. Basically they want you to tell them it was your fault, so they can charge you more a month. They aren't going to make a claim and take money though if that is what you are worried about.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:55 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX/05 Legacy
How did they find out if you never reported it?
Old 09-13-2005, 01:59 AM
Troll

Originally Posted by bemani
How did they find out if you never reported it?

good point, i just read it again. Ya if you didn't report it, and there wasn't a police report.... How did they find out that th accident happened?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:33 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
No police report, and no insurance claim = no accident ever happened.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:51 AM

well when a cop/chp usually comes to the scene he has to take some kind of info down...maybe they got that, however the cop did ask me if i wanted to make a report i declined since he said it would cost 10$ and do jack **** for me lol ...but i want to know how the hell they were able to obtain it since i wasnt with their insurance policy at the time until about 2-3 months later!

ps - yea i also bet its because they want to squeeze some more money out of me

Last edited by Hatteroo; 09-13-2005 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:35 AM

Hmm, I wonder if it somehow it made it's way to your driving record anyway, thanks to the cop. Also, would insurance companies have access to bodyshop records if you had someone repair any damage? Or, if there was a bodyshop, would they have at least notified AAA that a claim might be coming, even if you eventually paid for it yourself?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:45 AM

i never made a claim with AAA for the car. I only had liability on the 5.0 and i totalled it in the rain, didnt hurt anyone or anything, i didnt get hurt or destroy any public property so the cop said i was perfectly fine and didnt have to report it if i didnt want to. i never took the 5.0 to a body shop or anything, i just put it up for sale and sold it as a parts car a few days later after the accident...i didnt get my RS until maybe 2 months later or about...so im going to call up my insurance company today and ask them wtf?

also im not sure if it did go on my record or not...i'll have to find out i guess...i gotta renew my license anyways
Old 09-13-2005, 08:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
it sounds like they got the info off the police writeup. since the car is gone and no formal report was taken, couldn't you just come up with some story about how you were in a bit of a fender bender and decided to be done with the car and get something new?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:17 AM

i guess i could russ....ill contact them today and be like wtf mate? unfortunately for me, i have to stick with them for a bit longer for insurance since ive been driving for about 2yrs now...or will be in nov... oh well....but they shouldnt raise my rates to begin with since i didnt get into an accident under their policy and i didnt even make a claim with my previous company.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:36 AM
dz

Car Info: 1996 Mustang GT/2013 Outback Limited
You may not have filed a report, but the police officer that responded to the scene did. The insurance company has access to anything that the officer put in his report. If you tell a different sotry than the officer and evidence at the scene you will probably get dropped by your insurance company. The fact that you had an at fault accident will cause your insurance to jump the same amount if you file an insurance claim it as it would if you do not...

I am just guessing that the accident was your fault since you were the only one involved. If there was some other reason that it happened and you can prove it you can fight your way out. The problem here is that you did not file a report of your own and now no longer have your word against that of the officer and his report so that is what will be considered fact at this point - unless you decide to hire a lawyer.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:38 AM
dz

Car Info: 1996 Mustang GT/2013 Outback Limited
Originally Posted by maddhatteroo7
but they shouldnt raise my rates to begin with since i didnt get into an accident under their policy and i didnt even make a claim with my previous company.
That is not how it works. They do not care who you were insured by at the time of the accident, only that there is an accident on your driving record. This is going to cause your insurance company to raise your rates or drop you no matter how you look at it.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Troll

Ya they don't care who you where insured by, because an accident means you are at higher risks. On that note, if you never made a claim they shouldn't raise your rates. Tell they what happened, tell them that it was an accident, where no damage was done, and the damage that was done was to myself and no claim was ever made. They should ignore it, because you never made the claim...

Either way, that cop definately did turn in the report, and it is now on your driving record. So basically no matter what insurance company you goto that accident is going to be on your record and they will all question is. Tell them what really happened, and see if they won't raise your rates.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:28 AM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
If you spent less than $500 to repair the car, you maybe able to get away with it for some insurance companies. If it goes over that threshold, you maybe in for a point.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by dz
I am just guessing that the accident was your fault since you were the only one involved.
yea it was my fault i guess....i was going down an overpass, going around a 45 degree turn, my transmission kicked (thats why i replaced it since it was broken to begin with) causing the rear tires to fish tail a little and natural instinct kicked in and i tried to correct myself but i over compensated and ended up actually rolling the car into a ditch. it was also raining heavily that night as well

Quick Reply: previous accident and new car insurance?