Oil starvation due to oil pickup tube snapping off...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:04 AM

Car Info: Silver 06 STI - Helix catted dp - Cobb stage 2
Oil starvation due to oil pickup tube snapping off...

My motor is in pieces at the shop right now. Went in to look at it and they showed me that the damage was only to the #1 rod bearings and the crank shaft. What a bummer though because the car only has 23,000 mi and it's getting major heart surgery. They said they are going to replace the main bearings, rod bearings, crank, the one rod that got super-heated, and they're throwing in the piston rings at my request. I'm happy that they're doing it right, but still wondering whether I should keep it or sell it. Curious what others would do. I'll have it back next week.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:06 AM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
I'd say give it another chance, one more thing wrong and I'd sell that ****...
Old 07-27-2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by SubyN00by
I'd say give it another chance, one more thing wrong and I'd sell that ****...
I was thinking the same thing. I'll pretty have a whole new bottom end so that's a plus.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:15 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by Derwood
My motor is in pieces at the shop right now. Went in to look at it and they showed me that the damage was only to the #1 rod bearings and the crank shaft. What a bummer though because the car only has 23,000 mi and it's getting major heart surgery. They said they are going to replace the main bearings, rod bearings, crank, the one rod that got super-heated, and they're throwing in the piston rings at my request. I'm happy that they're doing it right, but still wondering whether I should keep it or sell it. Curious what others would do. I'll have it back next week.
"Gentlemen, we can rebuild her. We have the technology. Better than she was before. Better, stronger, faster. "
Old 07-27-2007, 11:15 AM

definately, but then you're back to square one with breaking it in...

and plus with new engine components, you're always gonna be listening to the engine for noises..."wait, what was that noise" or "oh, that didn't sound good"
Old 07-27-2007, 11:18 AM

definately, but then you're back to square one with breaking it in...

and plus with new engine components, you're always gonna be listening to the engine for noises..."wait, what was that noise" or "oh, that didn't sound good"
Yup, I'm going to be super paranoid. It's be nice if I could have them throw in some forged light weight pistons and make it ready for some serious upgrades once it's out of warranty.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:21 AM

haha, did the stealership do this under warranty?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:23 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Yup, I'm going to be super paranoid. It's be nice if I could have them throw in some forged light weight pistons and make it ready for some serious upgrades once it's out of warranty.
PROTIP: forged pistons do not work very well on daily drivers.

the pistons will expand under heat so when the car is cold, there is a lot of piston slop until the engine comes up to temperature. When this happens, there is more then normal ware on the piston and block. Forged pistons are meant to be used on vehicles that are started up and run for a long period of time or not used very often.

semi-forged pistons are perfect for a street vehicle since they do not have the same expansion characteristics that the fully forged pistons exhibt.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:28 AM

haha, did the stealership do this under warranty?
Yes, they were pretty cool about it. They had me bring in my records to show that I had changed the oil and all that. I have a written record and receipts. I was surprised to find that I had changed the oil 10 times already. I always use mobile 1 to try and avoid situations like this. Once they found the oil pickup tube had snapped from probably being overheated when it was braised on, they let up on their semi-suspiscious tone and all was good.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MOPAR Baby!! yeeaaaahhh
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious

the pistons will expand under heat so when the car is cold, there is a lot of piston slop until the engine comes up to temperature. When this happens, there is more then normal ware on the piston and block. Forged pistons are meant to be used on vehicles that are started up and run for a long period of time or not used very often.

semi-forged pistons are perfect for a street vehicle since they do not have the same expansion characteristics that the fully forged pistons exhibt.
How does one go about "semi forging" a piston??
Old 07-27-2007, 11:29 AM

Yes, they were pretty cool about it. They had me bring in my records to show that I had changed the oil and all that. I have a written record and receipts. I was surprised to find that I had changed the oil 10 times already. I always use mobile 1 to try and avoid situations like this. Once they found the oil pickup tube had snapped from probably being overheated when it was braised on, they let up on their semi-suspiscious tone and all was good.
sweet. Good to know...
Old 07-27-2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious

Who makes semi-forged ones? Does Crawford or Mahle or other big name companies? Links?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:31 AM

Who makes semi-forged ones? Does Crawford or Mahle or other big name companies? Links?
Mugen...
Old 07-27-2007, 11:59 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I have three sets of JEs on the shelf.....
Old 07-27-2007, 12:53 PM

I just read up on forged vs. semi-forged. It seems that forged don't expand as much but they expand faster. This is a problem if you get on it before the motor is properly up to temp as seizing can occur so they need bigger tolerances. As far as semi-forged goes - one guy said all cast pistons are semi-forged. Don't know how correct that semi-forged statement is.

Quick Reply: Oil starvation due to oil pickup tube snapping off...