New law passed (regarding street racing in Elk Grove)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 07:19 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by sonicsuby
I got stopped in Roseville by a bike cop back in 1998 for making a U-Turn at a stop light in my Nissan truck. I hammered the gas, and with all like 80hp spun the *** end around (no weight over the rear tires for the win). This was back before I learned to look a little harder for cops in the area, like directly behind me at the light. He pulled me over, we laughed about how dumb I was for doing that in front of a cop and he let me go.
you are damn *** lucky as I have never talked to or seen a plesent bike cop, and I am not talking about being pulled over by one either.

I guess its bad when I call them Ponch and ask where Baker is at..
Old 06-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
you are damn *** lucky as I have never talked to or seen a plesent bike cop, and I am not talking about being pulled over by one either.

Their not that bad. Owning a BMW I run into them alot when they take their bikes in for service. There also all over the other boards I read. Yes they mostly exist for traffic enforcement. But they're just doing their job. I've had some bad and good experiences with them in the 'field'. It all averages out.

This whole us vs. them thing is just a big game. If you get busted then you lose. The object is to not get busted. Think like they think. Have fun with it. Nothing gets my heart pumping like discovering I'm about to be targeted while I'm doing something that is most llikely to get me in trouble. Then the releif comes when I am able to avoid the situation or just plain get lucky.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:05 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red

I've met one. I forget his name, but he used to hang out with us at UCKK of all places and talk to us like rational people about what's really going on. He was pushing 50 or so, and had done a lot of different stuff within the department. He never popped a hood there (luckily for a whole metric assload of people there) and helped us to keep the idiots away.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MOPAR Baby!! yeeaaaahhh

Everytime i see one even walking around in a store or something they look like they have a huge chip on their shoulder & most of them have a pretty ****ty attitude... how does one get picked to be a moto cop anyways?? do they just round up all the *******s they cant stand, give em a bmw bike & tell them to have at it??
Old 06-30-2006, 08:42 AM
Father Time

Originally Posted by Mr. Furley
...do they just round up all the *******s they cant stand, give em a bmw bike & tell them to have at it??
Some agencies are switching to Harleys now.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:01 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by R4ND0M_AX3
Some agencies are switching to Harleys now.
Switching back to harleys?? guess those beams are getting a little expensive for them... i cant think of another reason for that cause i know those harleys are slower... you know last time i got pulled over by a bike cop i asked him how much it weighed & i was pretty dismayed at what he said..... over 1000lbs fully loaded
Old 06-30-2006, 09:12 AM
Father Time

Switching back to harleys?? guess those beams are getting a little expensive for them... i cant think of another reason for that cause i know those harleys are slower... you know last time i got pulled over by a bike cop i asked him how much it weighed & i was pretty dismayed at what he said..... over 1000lbs fully loaded
There are some performance requirments all of the bikes have to meet. The Harley failed a bunch of times. They had to put a larger motor in. HD also had to come up with an ABS system. It's kind of a hack that takes up most of the right side case.

HD dealers used to have police programs that lease the bike to the agency for $1 per year. Then they get the bike back and sell it for $15K+ Not sure what the current program is.

Harleys cost as much as Beamers, sometimes much more.

The CHP still hasn't decided what it's going to buy. EG is already switching. I'm sure the new HD dealership there helped with that.

There are so many politics involved.

Some troopers back east are getting Hyabusas and going to superbike schools.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:19 AM
VIP Member

Some troopers back east are getting Hyabusas and going to superbike schools.
Ok now THAT is scary.... i think thats way too much of a toy to give someone thats supposed to be working... im sure they will be GPS tracking those guys though to make sure they arent breaking the sound barrier haha
Old 06-30-2006, 09:57 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
no because your vehicle is defined as something other than a motorcycle because of other charactersitcs like having more than three wheels.
So all I have to do to get around the modified exhaust/noise regs. is swap in a Harley motor or two and remove a wheel?
Old 06-30-2006, 10:06 AM
Father Time

Originally Posted by iceman302
So all I have to do to get around the modified exhaust/noise regs. is swap in a Harley motor or two and remove a wheel?
I'm sure there are other things you would have to do to reclassifiy your car as a motorcycle.

You might even have to wear a helmet and be able to reach both pegs and drive with your headlight on all of the time.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:07 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
They buy whatever is cheapest to operate, period. Whoever gets them the better deal get sto sell them the bikes. Except for the performance criteria that Dan mentioned, cost is basically the only factor.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Father Time

Ok now THAT is scary.... i think thats way too much of a toy to give someone thats supposed to be working... im sure they will be GPS tracking those guys though to make sure they arent breaking the sound barrier haha

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...e-interceptor/
Old 06-30-2006, 10:15 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
I'm sure there are other things you would have to do to reclassifiy your car as a motorcycle.

You might even have to wear a helmet and be able to reach both pegs and drive with your headlight on all of the time.
OK... so swap in two Harley motors, remove a wheel, add 2 pegs, wear a helmet (done that before), and remove 1 headlight and wire it to a keyed source. That all sounds easy enough.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Father Time

Originally Posted by iceman302
OK... so swap in two Harley motors, remove a wheel, add 2 pegs, wear a helmet (done that before), and remove 1 headlight and wire it to a keyed source. That all sounds easy enough.
Good luck insuring your home built motorcycle.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Father Time

A motorcycle also has to weigh less than 1500 lbs.

Quick Reply: New law passed (regarding street racing in Elk Grove)