Looking for a open source tuner.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:25 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx
Looking for a open source tuner.

Willing to pay someone that can Flash my car for me.. Can't afford the AP right now.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by yasierakbar
Willing to pay someone that can Flash my car for me.. Can't afford the AP right now.
GIVe a call to Ed and the boys a eq tuning you won't think u drive the same Subaru after u leave !!
Old 01-16-2010, 12:55 AM

Car Info: 2002 subaru wrx and 2013 Impreza
depends on your set up. a tune from them can be almost as much as a AP. so just gotta weigh out what you want more.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:45 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Why not pay a little more for an AccessPORT and get all of benefits that open source can't provide?
Old 01-16-2010, 08:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Why not pay a little more for an AccessPORT and get all of benefits that open source can't provide?
Why pay for an AP now when he can pay for this now and then an AP later to get it right!
Old 01-16-2010, 05:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
why deal with someone who wants to cheap out on a not so cheap car?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:05 PM
In Russia, Title Choose You.

Car Info: Everywhere
such as?

Originally Posted by yasierakbar
shoot me a pm

Originally Posted by RussB
why deal with someone who wants to cheap out on a not so cheap car?
Ok, lets have a rational discussion about this: what part of opensource is inferior to COBB or cause the car to run any worse?

Assuming the same "tuner" for both......

Last edited by Vladi; 01-16-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Captain Save A Ho all up in hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
What benefits are you talking about specifically?

-- Ed
Old 01-17-2010, 10:48 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by mr_silas
depends on your set up. a tune from them can be almost as much as a AP. so just gotta weigh out what you want more.
That's true... certain setups can cost quite a bit to tune properly. But those types of setups especially require custom tuning, which you would have to pay for after buying the AP anyway.

The AP does have off the shelf maps for more basic setups, so I suppose that could be an option for some people that did not want a real custom tune. But you have to remember that while the Cobb off the shelf maps are an improvement over stock, they can leave a lot to be desired and in most cases a custom tune will provide significantly better results.

That being said, I have nothing against the AP. I believe its a nice tool for easily switching maps, being able to log the ECU, and reading CEL codes. This is great for certain people who will take advantage of these features, but the reality is that most people don't. Instead they get a tune on the AP then put it in their glove box or closet until they're ready for another setup and tune. For this type of person, I believe the AP is a waste of money and they would be better off with a good Open Ecu tune.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 01-17-2010, 10:59 AM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
Talk to VLADI WRX
Old 01-17-2010, 11:03 AM

Car Info: Nadda
AP IMO isn't the right way to go anywho, talk to anyone with an ECUtek and anyone with real knowledge of tuning.

ECUtek is still popular in asia, as it has over 60 things you can tweak for a custom tune, that's why AutoHQ uses it and they have someone trained in Japan to pull out safe power from just about all the settings of the ECUtek. AP has maybe 8-10? Sure it has some capabilities and is simpler. But again, sometimes to get the best of something, it's more complicated than than the normal plug in process.

But as for open source, above was already listed as who to contact =)

Last edited by iLoqin; 01-17-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:20 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by iLoqin
AP IMO isn't the right way to go anywho, talk to anyone with an ECUtek and anyone with real knowledge of tuning.

ECUtek is still popular in asia, as it has over 60 things you can tweak for a custom tune, that's why AutoHQ uses it and they have someone trained in Japan to pull out safe power from just about all the settings of the ECUtek. AP has maybe 8-10? Sure it has some capabilities and is simpler. But again, sometimes to get the best of something, it's more complicated than than the normal plug in process.

But as for open source, above was already listed as who to contact =)
That's a very old view on AP vs. Ecutek. When Protuner first came out it only allowed access to a small handful of maps. Now, however, it gives access to all the same maps as Ecutek and some others that Ecutek has yet to discover. The Open ECU tools can also provide access to all the same maps when set up properly.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 01-17-2010, 11:24 AM

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX
just do it right and get an ap
Old 01-17-2010, 01:22 PM
In Russia, Title Choose You.

Car Info: Everywhere
Originally Posted by colton.
just do it right and get an ap
As opposed to "doing it wrong" and getting an opensource tune for a fraction of the cost?
It costs more, so it MUST be better right?

Every other Accessport owner I know spent 600 for those "extra benefits" just to flash to a OTS stage2 and have those "benefits" laying around in their garage or closet at home. Meanwhile the rest spent less than half for a custom opensource tune and have a much MUCH better performing car that they get to enjoy daily.

Last edited by Vladi; 01-17-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for a open source tuner.