Just got my hood popped by Rancho Cordova PD...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 10:50 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by BLegacy
I was told by a dealership technician (with the highest credentials an auto manufacturer can bestow upon a tech, and experience in smogging cars), that aftermarket intakes on EFI cars (pretty much all cars with an air box) are smog legal, as long as all OEM connections (vacuum hoses, recirculation valves, temp sensors, etc.) are still attached onto the intake and fully functional, and that there are no extra fittings which can result in a non-smog legal status (active fuel or nitrous line; but if they are inactive and disconnected, they're okay).

It's a general misunderstanding that all aftermarket intakes are illegal, unless a CARB EO# is issued for it. This is because most POs don't know which connections are stock and which are illegal, so they write up a citation for illegal modification, and send the car to a ref to verfiy whether or not the intake is legal.
Isn't there a carb regulation that specifically states it's illegal, unless explicitly allowed? Just like SCCA classification rules?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by Mr. Furley
I dont even have bling & the ******* still sent me to the ref
where you being a ***** to him? I've gotten pulled over in Sac for having my front plate too low. He saw my catless tbe and blinging FMIC. He check out the car, asked me to fix the plate location and told me to have a nice day.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
What is the legality in having a POPO open your hood. I know that you dont have to open the glove box or trunk unless your are actually being arrested. They will mess with you about it, but they know the laws both ways.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:29 AM

Car Info: 05' White RS
Originally Posted by Mr. Furley
I dont even have bling & the ******* still sent me to the ref
eh? an Sti isn't bling? that's funny.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0
eh? an Sti isn't bling? that's funny.
He has a wrx.

YWIA
Old 06-08-2006, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 05' White RS
Originally Posted by davisSTI
Hey all,

Just an warning to those Rancho folks, hope this doesn't happen to you.

I work in Rancho and after work my coworkers and I play hoops at a local middle school. I was going home after playing around 7 pm. I pass by a couple of Rancho Cordova PD on the side of the road and before you know it one of them pulls me over. He tells me that my exhaust is too loud and is making a rumbling sound. He tells me that my exhaust has been modified and he ask me to pop the hood so he can take a look. Funny thing is that probably have one of the quietest TBE setup for the STI, catted helix dp and greddy evo 2. In addition this is a residential neighborhood with lots of stop signs and road humps to slow traffic down, so I couldn't have pass him going more than 10-15 mph. Really this road gets congested. Not sure why he thought my exhaust was too loud.

Well I have been on the fence about getting rid of my daily driver and the STI and just getting one car. Or take the STI to the next level. Well, the decision has been made much easier now. No my next car just has to be fast stock.

Take care and thanks to all whom contribute to this forum. It is quite informative.

-Darren.
Looks like an STi to me.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:50 AM

Car Info: Arm Leg Leg Arm Head
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Isn't there a carb regulation that specifically states it's illegal, unless explicitly allowed? Just like SCCA classification rules?
I'm not aware of anything like that. Maybe you're talking about CVC 27156 (c) which states "(c) No person shall install, sell, offer for sale, or advertise any device, apparatus, or mechanism intended for use with, or as a part of, any required motor vehicle pollution control device or system which alters or modifies the original design or performance of any such motor vehicle pollution control device or system."

The intake must function just like the OEM intake, and have all the necessary attachments. It basically needs to be a direct replacement part. But, it also needs to have all the OEM attachments, too. It's just like installing a catback exhaust, or copper spark plugs, or even headers on a car without the cat converter/manifold combo as long as all all the oem connections are still attached, and you aren't deleting any cat converters.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by soggynoodles
where you being a ***** to him? I've gotten pulled over in Sac for having my front plate too low. He saw my catless tbe and blinging FMIC. He check out the car, asked me to fix the plate location and told me to have a nice day.
well, not everyone has the kind of gag reflex you do nor would they participate in such behavior.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:58 AM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by BLITZSTI
well, not everyone has the kind of gag reflex you do nor would they participate in such behavior.
OMG :rotfl:
Old 06-08-2006, 12:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
breathalizer
Old 06-08-2006, 12:30 PM

Car Info: Bastard child of Saab and Subaru.
Originally Posted by 06WRX4ME
What is the legality in having a POPO open your hood. I know that you dont have to open the glove box or trunk unless your are actually being arrested. They will mess with you about it, but they know the laws both ways.
if you dont pop your hood, they can have your car towed, and have you arrested.

spontaneous safety checks are legal.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
makes sense.
I just hope that when I do get some mods on my WRX that I dont get hooked up for it. that would suck.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0
Looks like an STi to me.
Uh, dude, Furley has a WRX.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:04 PM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
Originally Posted by BLegacy
It's a general misunderstanding that all aftermarket intakes are illegal, unless a CARB EO# is issued for it. This is because most POs don't know which connections are stock and which are illegal, so they write up a citation for illegal modification, and send the car to a ref to verfiy whether or not the intake is legal.

I found that out personally. No matter what paperwork I showed the po-po it was off to the ref. Everything was legit!

Ref just said, "they send everyone to us". It's a money maker for sure. SMOG check and then court fees. Judge just threw it out of court, but still payed $10 plus my day off.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:31 PM

Car Info: Arm Leg Leg Arm Head
Why would they arrest you, and on what grounds, if you don't want to open your hood? I don't think they'll arrest you, but they can make the whole situation difficult for you. "You gotta be where in 5 minutes? Sorry, since you don't want to open your hood for me, and I have the legal authority to check to make sure your vehicle is not in a hazardous state, I'm going to have to your vehicle to a _____ and then determine if it's in proper working order. However, you're free to go about your business. I'll call you when we're done."

POs are only allowed to check things that are in plain view. If they start opening panels and ****, then, they're violating the law. The solution? Black metal panels over things that you don't want seen in plain view. Hell, put some tamper-proof screws on them so they can't remove it. I don't know if I'd go as far as putting a key lock on them, though. Even though they'll need a warrant, a locked area under the hood casts extreme suspicion, so it'll probably backfire lol

Quick Reply: Just got my hood popped by Rancho Cordova PD...