Homeowner defends himself and his property against would-be burglars

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 07:24 PM

Car Info: Bastard child of Saab and Subaru.
I was being facetious.

9mm... hope that works out for you.

Short barrel pistol grip shotgun here. It's all about stopping power.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I think the fact that they were non-fatal shots will help him a lot. Makes it look more like he was firing to keep them from hurting him, without killing them. Whether or not thats the case or if he fired without thinking
Old 05-14-2006, 11:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
seems pretty simple to me. someone entered his house uninvited with malicious intent.

my father in law is a career law enforcement officer, over 25 years on the job. he'd have done it in a second.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:23 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by MBasile
I think the fact that they were non-fatal shots will help him a lot. Makes it look more like he was firing to keep them from hurting him, without killing them. Whether or not thats the case or if he fired without thinking
Agreed, it can only help him with the police ruling. Because a homeowner has no way of knowing the state of mind of a perpetrator, be it drug-induced or whatever, one rule of thumb says to shoot to kill because we have no way of knowing if one or both perps were armed (or if there was yet a third perp unseen by the homeowner).

If there are other family members home at the time, the situation can get trickier. Unless you know for sure that none of them are anywhere near the line of fire, one stray shot can be deflected by things like wall studs or brickwork, with unexpected results. Gotta try to stay calm before pulling the trigger because a stray shot can also enter a neighbor's home. I think Mr. Smith knew what he was doing by crouching to steady his aim but cradling the phone on his shoulder must've been distracting.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush