Full Face, Open Face or Hybrid Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 08:34 PM

Full Face, Open Face or Hybrid Helmet?

Question for the experienced.

I plan on doing a bunch of Auto-Xing and a few track days each year. Is it better to get an open face, full face, or hybrid helmet?

I noted that the SCCA has issued a warning that an airbag hitting a full face helmet could cause jaw fractures. However, other sites have warned about objects hitting the car during a race or track event, that could do serious eye damage.

Oh yeah, I wear glasses. As always, sound advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2005, 09:10 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX/05 Legacy
Whatever floats your boat, you sicko.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:46 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Whichever you are more comfortable with, as long as its SA2000 or SA2005 (when those come out) aproved.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
I prefer full-face, but the whole airbag issue is a very valid point. But for HPDE/Track day events, I'd go with a full-face. SA2005 rated hemlets (the new Snell spec) should be released mid-october, one of those will be legal for 10 years of racing. Just make sure it's SA2000/2005 (auto racing) not M2000/2005 (motorcycle).
Old 08-31-2005, 03:01 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Airbag, schmairbag. Hitting the inside of your full-faced helmet isn't likely to hurt you anymore than hitting the airbag without it provided the plastic doesn't shatter, and I wouldn't expect it to. I've used a closed face helmet the last 2 years, I had no worries about collisions. Besides, with a 5 or 6 point harness, you probably won't hit the airbag anyway without an extraordinarily violent frontal impact. And if you do, the added injuries to your face are probably inconsequential.

That being said... it's pretty hot most of the year at most of the places where you will be wearing this helmet, so as long as there's a windshield in front of you, I would plan to buy open faced. I'm switching for that reason... currently have a black, full face helmet in a Miata. Time for a white open face!

Like kostamojen said, get SA2000 or SA2005. M2000/2005 is fine for most things, like SCCA Solo 2, but if you plan to track it's possible it could be disallowed, though I don't know of that happening to anybody.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:35 AM
Troll

Car Info: GT35R White 2005 Impreza STi and a 2000 Camaro Z28/RS
I run full face, it definately gets hot as ****. When I was at sac raceway it was 105 out, and i had to sit there in a full face masked. First thing i did was poped the damn eye covering off, tryed to get as much air as possible.

I couldn't even imagine how bad it would get if i had to wear it through a heat, and not able to turn my AC on at all. Then again, no mater what helmet you wear you are gunna get hot, and I like the pertection of a full face. I also definately have never been worried about smashing against the air-bag and snapping my jaw. If that happens I think your brocken jaw might be towards the end of the things you have to worry about....
Old 08-31-2005, 08:50 AM

Thanks, everyone. I guess I should wait until October to get the latest one that's good for the most years.

That begs another question. The 5 or 6 point racing harness seems to be an excellent idea. Can you install a 5 or 6 point harness on an '04 WRX wagon seat? Or, do you need to get a seat specifically geared for racing? I would wonder about that since the side airbags are in the seats themselves.

If you can get it for the '04 WRX seat, would you suggest harnesses for both driver and passenger? For those times when you have an instructor ride along with you?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:30 AM

Car Info: '02 WRagon
Lightbulb

funny, we just had this big issue over helmets mulled over on hybrids.jp forum...

i rock a full face because of a couple different reasons...1. the visor will normally shut upon impact keeping debris and glass from getting into your eyes...2. better protection over a openface 3. you can use a tinted visor as a sunvisor by pulling the visor down halfway in the early mornings/late afternoons when the sun is low on the horizon.

the jaw fracture is a SCCA myth/speculation...SCCA's decision to ban SRS and fullface is from misconstrued analysis of an FIA study on SRS in conjuntion with HANS type devices...
the FIA study showed that airbags did not help any more than HANS device alone.
NOT that airbags are anymore dangerous with or without a fullface helmet.

here is the thread about the SCCA/FIA discrepancies from hybrids.jp

full helmet thread here.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:36 AM

Car Info: '02 WRagon
Originally Posted by biznessdude
Thanks, everyone. I guess I should wait until October to get the latest one that's good for the most years.

That begs another question. The 5 or 6 point racing harness seems to be an excellent idea. Can you install a 5 or 6 point harness on an '04 WRX wagon seat? Or, do you need to get a seat specifically geared for racing? I would wonder about that since the side airbags are in the seats themselves.

If you can get it for the '04 WRX seat, would you suggest harnesses for both driver and passenger? For those times when you have an instructor ride along with you?
also...you should only consider running a 5/6 point harness, if you run a cage or rollbar...

the 3 point OE belt is designed to allow the body movement to the side in case of rollover...
if you pin yourself to your seat w/ a 5/6 point harness and are in a rollover you run the chance of snapping your neck because your body will not be allowed to move in a way to prevent your neck from being forced off your shoulders.
if you run a rollbar or cage, then you will have the strength of the cage to prevent the roof from caving in and coming down on your head/neck. which in this case a 5/6 point harness IS much safer.

another note on the Airbag debate...if you are running a trackday you should definately disconnect the airbag at the plug normally under a cover or panel on the bottom of the steeringwheel before you go out or remove your airbag completely from the vehicle to prevent accidental inflation of the airbags.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the excellent advice!