front license plate on STi's...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 11:01 AM

Car Info: black 05 sti
Exclamation front license plate on STi's...

Um..i dont want to get a fix it ticket...and the holes are too big on the front bumper. Do i get like bigger screws(what kind) or what to mount the front license plate. Also has anyone seen those plate brackets that are like on hinges? and tilt down while you are driving? i saw them in socal when i went to the falken showoff and at autobac in fontana. i have the plates on in the passenger dash/window. and stuff like the mount on the side? any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated,
Old 09-21-2005, 11:13 AM

Car Info: 05 LegacyGT,06 Black STI Will be home Soon
you could always leave it in your window and tell the police officer very nicely that you live in a bad area and plates get stolen all the time.. Might work I've never tried it but Heard it worked
Old 09-21-2005, 11:18 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
dont work.. tried it

I put my plate into the black border under the top of the bumper... it works and got my no front plate ticket written off
Old 09-21-2005, 11:35 AM

Car Info: 05 STI
Originally Posted by dlouie87
Um..i dont want to get a fix it ticket...and the holes are too big on the front bumper. Do i get like bigger screws(what kind) or what to mount the front license plate. Also has anyone seen those plate brackets that are like on hinges? and tilt down while you are driving? i saw them in socal when i went to the falken showoff and at autobac in fontana. i have the plates on in the passenger dash/window. and stuff like the mount on the side? any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated,

There are two indentations at the plate location. I know it's painful but you use the self-tapping screws supplied by the dealer to screw the plate to teh bumper. But that is what those indentations are for.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:14 PM

Car Info: '02 WRagon
get a spring loaded plate hinge from an older GM w/ the gas filler behind the plate and hang it upside down on the under portion of the front bumper and when you drive, the wind will push it to about a 45 degree angle keeping it from being a huge mirror on the front of your car for the radar gun to beam off.
it'll take some fabrication to make it work and you may need to put rubber stoppers (like the ones on the inside of cabinet doors to keep them from slamming shut) on the back to keep it from slamming back against the paint and causing damage.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
drill your plates to the right fog light cover.

JDM sTyLe!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Troll

Car Info: GT35R White 2005 Impreza STi and a 2000 Camaro Z28/RS
Originally Posted by soggynoodles

JDM sTyLe!!!
Also put it upside down
Old 09-21-2005, 07:08 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Velcro.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:33 PM

Car Info: lowered blk04 with no motor
take the plate away from the dash. you will still get a ticket but if you crash someones gonna have a plate in there head. a cop told me that once
Old 09-25-2005, 08:59 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRB STi w/ s202 spoiler
CVC 5201:
(a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

CVC 5201:
(1) License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows:
- snip -
Old 09-25-2005, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by soggynoodles

JDM sTyLe!!!
Jesus Ed. You know EVOs started that right?
Old 09-25-2005, 12:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I haven't had a front plate in CA till about 6 months before I moved away last June (lived there 8 yrs) and never got a fix-it ticket, but when I did put one on, I folded it. I cleanly folded the bottom in and flat against the plate, and then folded the top in at about a 45* angle. This allows you to put the screws in, then you fold it the rest of the way flat. It looks sorta european as it's not as tall and only displaying the numbers. Hides the screws, can't be stolen, and completely removes it from the air flow. Another option is to mount it in the stock spot, but fold the bottom up and flat if you don't want to hide the state name on the plate. I have pics of my '03 WRX somewhere in a license plate thread in the BA forum, but that was a while ago.

I am sure people will list all kinds of reasons to NOT do it, but I never got bothered about it EVER and I have been pulled over plenty of times between 1998 and 2005. I owned 14 different cars in that time and drove well over 250k miles without a single license plate related issue.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:22 PM

Car Info: Arm Leg Leg Arm Head
The vehicle codes states you can't mutilate a license plate in any way, shape, or form.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by BLegacy
The vehicle codes states you can't mutilate a license plate in any way, shape, or form.
I think it also says you must have a front plate, shouldn't ever speed, tint your front windows, turn without a blinker etc. I was just relaying what I did, and my experience with it. Like I said, I am sure there are plenty of people that will say it's bad, wrong whatever. It's pretty obvious that it's not legal.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:01 PM

Car Info: Arm Leg Leg Arm Head
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I think it also says you must have a front plate, shouldn't ever speed, tint your front windows, turn without a blinker etc. I was just relaying what I did, and my experience with it. Like I said, I am sure there are plenty of people that will say it's bad, wrong whatever. It's pretty obvious that it's not legal.
I understand what your point is. I'm just saying that it's as illegal as not having a front plate at all.

The mutilate plate works for you. As for me, in all 10 years of driving, I've not had a front plate, and have only been cited for it once. A $5 fix-it ticket. I think I'll stick to that instead of having to pay for new front plates in addition to whatever penalty is associated with a mutilated license plate.

Quick Reply: front license plate on STi's...