BEWARE of Benihana! They kill people with shrimp.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
BEWARE of Benihana! They kill people with shrimp.

Never been to Benihana, but it sounds like fun!

Family: Man Died After Ducking Flying Shrimp

POSTED: 3:11 pm EST January 12, 2006

MINEOLA, N.Y. -- A shrimp a hibachi chef tossed at a man eating at a Japanese steakhouse ultimately led to the diner's death, his family claims in a $10 million wrongful death lawsuit against the restaurant chain Benihana.

Jerry Colaitis wrenched his neck when he ducked to avoid the shrimp in the chain's Munsey Park restaurant, attorney Andre Ferenzo said in opening statements Wednesday.

Months after the January 2001 incident, the 43-year-old Long Island man died from complications caused by neck surgery he required afterward, the lawyer said.

Benihana lawyer Charles Connick said it was unlikely a chef who works for tips would toss food at customers after being asked not to, as Ferenzo claimed. Even if that happened, Connick added, the cause of Colaitis' death was an infection or neck injury unrelated to the shrimp.

Benihana chefs mix dining with entertainment as they grill Japanese food in front of patrons. Ferenzo said some of them have become more daring in recent years, but Connick said customers enjoy the experience.

"Some customers, especially dads and sons, want to catch the food," Connick said. "The evidence will show that it was part of the show."

Colaitis, of Old Brookville, underwent neck surgery in June 2001, but there were complications, and he had numbness in his arm, Ferenzo said. He died that November, a day after checking into a hospital with a 105-degree fever.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
I got yelled at for calling Benihana a Japanese Steakhouse.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:32 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
I have been trying.. but just cannot figure out anything funny to say.. sorry
Old 01-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
I have been trying.. but just cannot figure out anything funny to say.. sorry
+1 haha I was
Old 01-12-2006, 01:45 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
wtf, this is ghey. I've been to benihana plenty of times, and the times the guy threw the shrimp at me, I caught it in my mouf! wtf is the family going to do with the 10 million anyway? It's not like they can bring the guy back from the dead. If he were still alive, I think they could justify the suit to help with hospital fees and such, but omg, the guy ducked on his own will, and to top it off, it was due to complications from the SURGERY! They should go find the doctor...Benihana is the ****.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:52 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX/05 Legacy
Originally Posted by SubyN00by
wtf, this is ghey. I've been to benihana plenty of times, and the times the guy threw the shrimp at me, I caught it in my mouf! wtf is the family going to do with the 10 million anyway? It's not like they can bring the guy back from the dead. If he were still alive, I think they could justify the suit to help with hospital fees and such, but omg, the guy ducked on his own will, and to top it off, it was due to complications from the SURGERY! They should go find the doctor...Benihana is the ****.
Just because the guy is dead doesn't mean the hospital won't come after you with its bills ...

And the article didn't mention them not suing the doctor. For all we know, they can be suing the fishermen for catching the killer shrimp too
Old 01-12-2006, 09:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
[butthead voice] people are dumb [/butthead voice]
Old 01-12-2006, 09:18 PM

wtf is the family going to do with the 10 million anyway? It's not like they can bring the guy back from the dead.
I know what they can do with 6 million of those dollars...

Jerry Colaitis, a Long Island man. A man no longer alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first shrimp man. Jerry Colaitis will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, shrimpier.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
wtf is the family going to do with the 10 million anyway?
all the answers in life are answered some where in the movies

Originally Posted by Farva in Super Troopers
I'd buy a ten million dollar car. ... You couldn't pull me over, and even if you did I'd activate my car's wings and I'd fly away.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
This is such bull****.

I bet they initially hired a lawyer to find out if there was a case against the doctor. When the lawyer said that a malpractive suit is hard to come by (they are), he probably joking said that going after Bentihavas would be more realistic.

Someone in my family once woke up during a major surgery, told the doctors to stop in a coherent stupor, and yet they continued when it wasn't absolutely necessary (what we were told by many other doctors later). The surgeon kissed my family member's *** for days. Turns out my relative, who was legitimately scared by this ordeal, had nothing to make a case... the lawyers pretty much laughed. Later I asked my lawyer friend about malpractice suits and he told me they are very hard to justify… the ones you hear about on 60minutes are actually rare cases.

Last edited by Salty; 01-12-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by newyorkreload
all the answers in life are answered some where in the movies
Yup...

Originally Posted by Office Space
Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man.
Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause chicks dig a dude with money.
Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.
Lawrence: Well the kind of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.
Peter Gibbons: Good point.
Lawrence: Well what about you now? what would you do?
Peter Gibbons: Besides two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Well yeah.
Peter Gibbons: Nothing.
Lawrence: Nothing, huh?
Peter Gibbons: I'd relax, I would sit on my *** all day, I would do nothing.
Lawrence: Well you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Just take a look at my cousin, he's broke, don't do ****.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:36 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
The victim's name was Jerry Colaitis. Colitis is a digestive disorder. He allegedly died from injuries sustained at a eating establishment but not from eating the food. It's a bit ironic.

Maybe he was afraid that the shrimp projectile was gonna put his eye out? Shrimp do that all the time in their natural habitat. That's how they defend themselves against predators. If you ever see an ahi or other large fish missing an eye, a shrimp did it. Mean little ****ers.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 01-12-2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
Maybe he was afraid that the shrimp projectile was gonna put his eye out? Shrimp do that all the time in their natural habitat. That's how they defend themselves against predators. If you ever see an ahi or other large fish missing an eye, a shrimp did it. Mean little ****ers.
Are you serious about poking eyes out?!?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:50 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
j/k

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush