Anyone Live In Reno?!?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
There is a significant difference between asking for some good scenic roads and asking for some good "twisties", if you catch my drift.

I can only assume when you talk like a jackass, you drive like one too.

And if you want some scenic roads, just pick any one of them. They are all good up here.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:28 AM

Car Info: another turbo, but not an import
Sorry I didnt realize that "twisty" related to "a jackass". I will be more careful how I choose my words in a Nevada forum in the future.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:15 AM
banned

Car Info: ummm?
Originally Posted by ptownBob
Sorry I didnt realize that "twisty" related to "a jackass". I will be more careful how I choose my words in a Nevada forum in the future.
hello there sir,

Old 04-11-2008, 11:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by ptownBob
He's right though. I mean, if you were looking for a scenic drive to take good pics you'd say "Hey, where are some good roads to take pics of my car" not "hey were are some good twisties?"
Old 04-12-2008, 06:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by Nick Koan
All of them are good.

But please don't be some sort of touge jackass on our roads please! There is a beautiful road course in Fernley that'll beat the pants off of any backroad in the area AND you can actually learn how to drive your car instead of just pretending like you know how to drive your car.
wow, this from a staff member....

his question was "anyone have any recommendations on Tahoe/Reno backroads/twisties?" , and this is the kind of reply he gets? wow...
Old 04-12-2008, 06:42 PM
VIP Member

ptownbob is a very respected person in our groups and meets.

all he did was ask if there were any recommendations for backroads/twisties in the area to have a nice drive when he goes to taho in a few weeks, and instead he's met by a STAFF MEMBER and insulted, and get's completely abrasive replies.

"There is a significant difference between asking for some good scenic roads and asking for some good "twisties", if you catch my drift."

yeah, and you interpreted his nice question wrong and made quite unnecessary replies to him.

he didn't say anything about driving fast, breaking laws, or anything of the sort. he just wanted to know good backroads that aren't straight to drive on when he visits.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:11 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by Rescuer
ptownbob is a very respected person in our groups and meets.

all he did was ask if there were any recommendations for backroads/twisties in the area to have a nice drive when he goes to taho in a few weeks, and instead he's met by a STAFF MEMBER and insulted, and get's completely abrasive replies.

"There is a significant difference between asking for some good scenic roads and asking for some good "twisties", if you catch my drift."

yeah, and you interpreted his nice question wrong and made quite unnecessary replies to him.

he didn't say anything about driving fast, breaking laws, or anything of the sort. he just wanted to know good backroads that aren't straight to drive on when he visits.
Sorry, but like Nick said- asking where the "twisties" are is a significantly different question than asking where the good scenic roads are. Intentional or not, correct or not, the question had certain implicit connotations. Nick's response was appropriately measured and worded.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:29 PM

Car Info: WRB WRX 2007
I just want to let you know that not all people are like this in reno, if you take mt. rose highway from reno up to Tahoe there are some great scenic places to stop and take some pics, then when you hit tahoe is amazing of course... but if you have any more questions about meets and good twisties I will be happy to help out, I have lived here since day 1 of my life and I hate when a$$holes talk trash and make reno look bad. welcome to the reno family and just remember south or north of town is good anywhere else bad.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:41 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Kevin M
Sorry, but like Nick said- asking where the "twisties" are is a significantly different question than asking where the good scenic roads are. Intentional or not, correct or not, the question had certain implicit connotations. Nick's response was appropriately measured and worded.
calling somebody a jackass (from a staff member), and making assumptions about somebody "learning how to drive" is appropriately worded?

"I can only assume when you talk like a jackass, you drive like one too."

yeah, looks like it's appropriately worded...

sure, whatever you say...
Old 04-12-2008, 08:18 PM
banned

can we split the drama out? Bleh.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by Rescuer
wow, this from a staff member....

his question was "anyone have any recommendations on Tahoe/Reno backroads/twisties?" , and this is the kind of reply he gets? wow...
Sorry, just trying to promote responsible driving. Maybe I did misunderstand what his intentions were, but he made no effort, except for what I thought was a poor deflection attempt.

Many clubs I am a part of are to promote responsible driving on public roads and taking it to the track. This one here is really no different either. When I hear words like "twisties" is just makes me think of all the idiots (not saying he is one or isn't) that try to think they are "cool" cause they can drive fast on mountain roads.

If you can't see that, then I feel sorry for you. I'm just trying to keep the roads where me and my loved ones drive on safe.

Last edited by Nick Koan; 04-12-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Rescuer: The irony of your user name in this situation was not lost on me.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:03 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Nick may have worded it strongly, but it's his backyard. When you grow up in the mountains, you're hypersensitive to people that might not be used to the risks associated with driving fast on real mountain roads, and the danger they pose to themselves and others trying to push it on a road they're unfamiliar with. I personally wouldn't send someone to a curvy road when they worded it like that because I wouldn't want them to lose it on a weird corner. Just because we're staff members doen't mean we're not entitled to the same opinions as everybody else.

Sending someone to a "good set of twisties" is a recipe for someone to write off a car at best, and get injured or worse, and some of us have a lot of personal experience with that. I grew up with (and worked) in both SAR and emergency dispatch for El Dorado and Amador, as well as the National Forest land on the north side of the lake, and it gave me a new perspective on trying to tear down mountain roads after seeing the kind of things that happen. Make sense? You haven't been around all that long (no offense intended, just fact), so you're not aware of some of the history with aggressive driving in this club; at one time, every "drive" that someone organized ended up with at least one car getting heavily damaged as a result of poeple pushing their limits on unfamiliar roads.

Scenic drive has a very different connotation than "what are some good twisties." That's the reality; I'm not going to tell you what to think of my statements as adults can interpret for themselves, and we ask the same courtesy.

Last edited by sybir; 04-12-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:05 AM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Perhaps before jumping down ptownbob's *** you should ask "hey what is your experience level" prior to you calling someone you have never met/talked to before a jackass. At that point you could have made the decision to inform him of experienced roads or novice roads. He didnt imply that he was going to drive like a "jackass". I dont see how you could possibly take out of what he said that he was going to drive in such a manner. As rescuer said ptownbob is a very respected memeber and probably has more driving experience than most people who own these types of cars. As a nevada resident you have now possibly given bay area people a bad taste in thier mouth for your region, though i can not speak for them that is what you have done for me.

The autobahn is a series of long twisties, it was designed that way so people didnt fall asleep at the wheel when driving at high speeds. the reason they are not tight turned roads is because when driving at highspeeds one hopefully would not lose control.

My point is you didnt ask. you assumed. just so you know bob isnt some 21 year old jerk off that just got his mom and dad to buy him a STI ok. when YOU assume you make an *** out of you and you only.

we have all had experience with bad things happening. but that doesnt give you a right to call someone out when all they were doing was asking a simple question. There were many other ways you could have responded to that question/comment and you chose the wrong way out.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:06 AM
banned

wow. just. wow.

Quick Reply: Anyone Live In Reno?!?!?!?!?!