Anyone know where to get edible raw fish?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 04:37 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
Anyone know where to get edible raw fish?

Hey guys, I'm in Davis for school and trying to make some sushi. I could go to the many sushi places but it's fun to make sushi.

I'll be going to Kim's Mart in Davis for some stuff. I've also gone to the Korean market in Sacramento on Folsom where I picked up some unagi. But I'm having trouble finding edible fresh salmon or tuna. Do you guys know any Japanese markets anywhere from Vacaville to Sacremento?

Oh, and the smoked salmon at Noah's Bagel? Is it edible raw?

Last edited by BoxerRumble; 10-14-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:16 PM

Car Info: 1995 Legacy L wgn & 1995 Legacy Brighton wgn
you could try Sunh Fish on Broadway, it's right across the street from the Target, on 14th street i think (i forget which cross street it is.)

it's cash only, so don't bring your card in there or they'll tell you to go to the bank. they've got really good stuff though, i used to work at a restaurant that used them as their sole supplier for sushi fish.

also, when you're looking at fish to eat raw, be aware that by law, only fish that is FDA approved for use in sushi and sashimi can be sold for that purpose. anything else might leave happy little parasite friends in your intestinal tract (which will be just as much fun for you, as for them, i can assure you!).
Old 10-14-2006, 07:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Costco is where I used to get my salmon sushi fish.

Don't be a ***** about about it.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Team Brown
http://www.otosjapanfood.com/

:YWIA:

L.Rivers
Old 10-15-2006, 01:36 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
not sure, but my favorite sushi place in Davis is Zen Toro hands down. Check them out and get to know Andy and Scott.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rivers
holy crap, i'd forgotten all about Oto's. and i used to go there all the time when i was a kid too! yeah, the've always had really good stuff. my grandma would only buy her japanese food (well, the groceries anyway) from Oto's (except for mochi and manju, she had another place for that stuff), if that means anything to you.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:11 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX wagon
me and my friends in davis have always wanted to try makin sushi too...so i can use this too find fish too. let me know how it goes.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:06 PM

sushi is easy to make. just get a good mat, make sure the rice is prepped correctly, and don't cut the fish too thick.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:48 PM

Car Info: WRB Bugeye Sedan
Originally Posted by Rivers
+1 for Oto's!!! They've got the best sashimi-grade stuff available in the area!

Taro Arai (from Mikuni's) recommended Oto's to me during a "Sushiology" course he was teaching at their Roseville restaurant. It's a fun class and they teach you everything about Sushi but how to make Mikuni's secret sauces (mmmnnnnhh, BBQ-albacore....). It's a bit pricey but really fun, heres a link if anyone's interested:

http://www.mikunisushi.com/?mvcTask=...06b49bea0df28f
Old 10-15-2006, 05:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I get my fish for sushi from oto's as well. But in Davis i'd simply crack the yellow pages and start calling places asking them if they sell sashimi grade fish.

Anything smoked (unless you're privately smoking and immediately eating it) is cured in advance. Are you saying that you have a source for the raw fished prior to smoking for use by the bagel shop? If so then i'd be wary...

Getting good at making sushi rice can be tricky at first. I learned to make it in culinary school in the most traditional fashion our chef instructors knew (and what was available to us). Simple pot with short grain sushi rice and the appropriate amount of water/rice. Cook for a certain amount of time you'll have to judge yourself based on your equipment and amount of rice. Then finally, learn when to turn off the heat after which you'll immediately cover the pot with foil and let sit to further steam. OR a cook rice maker, of course...

Once the rice is nice and sticky but at the same time NOT overcooked and mushy, simply combine the rice in a large bowl with your pre-made sushi-zu (simmered rice wine vinegar and dissolved sugar - google for recipe) using a bamboo paddle (or something similar so you don't damage the rice). At first you're gonna think the amount of vinegar is WAY too much for the amount of rice, assuming you did the recipe correctly. Don't worry... the strong smell will go away as you combine the two. As you combine the mixture with the rice you'll eventually spread the rice so it thinly coats the entire inside of the large bowl you're using. Somehow the air helps speed the sushi-zu reaction with the rice. Once it cools to room temperature on the sides of the bowl you'll see how the vinegar taste is hardly noticeable. The finished product should be somewhat sweet, reasonably sticky and with a faint hint of vinegar. Now all you need is an online “how to” guide on how to put it all together with Nori.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:21 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
bump, thanks SRIC, you guys are great, I actually went to another Korean restaurant a few months back when this was posted, but I wanted to get sushi ingredients now, we haven't made sushi in a long time.

Thanks Salty, I'll follow the instructions, a friend of my gf's friend's friend use to work at a restaurant and so my gf's friend taught us. But you're instructon looks very good. I would also liek to add that having a cold knife and hands help with the stickiness of the rice.

I'm gonna head over to Oto's right now , they close at 7 on Fridays.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Troll

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec-B
THE OCEAN!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Your mom
Old 01-26-2007, 05:57 PM

Car Info: Sline
Osaka Suishi
Old 01-26-2007, 06:29 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX wagon
call me if u have any leftovers mike..i wanna see how good this sushi is that ur gonna make