What tracks do you drive on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
Hello,

I think there's one thing missing here...

"Racing" means wheel to wheel action, usually requiring a full rollcage, some fire suppression system (sometimes just a firebottle is fine, in many organizations, "racing" means something automatic/pull a pin type).

"Club Racing" is "racing" but for no, or just about no, money.

"Track Days" is where folks like you and me take their street cars to the "race" tracks and drive around at significantly slower speeds than "racers" usually, and with no wheel to wheel. Advanced groups will have open passing, but beginers will usually be limited to passing on one or two straights and that's it. That's to limit the exposure your daily driver (and your life) get to dangerous situations. Well managed "track days" almost always end with no on-track incidents. No one gets hurt, no cars get hurt. Aggressive or compulsively stupid people get kicked out or off the track.

If you want to get a feel for racing in a production based car, go to a track day and get some instruction from (hopefully) a licensed racer, or at the least, someone with lots of track day experience. The latter is not as desireable and before people beat me down for it, I used to instruct at track days, and now, two years have passed since I last drove on a track. I now know, from my race team experience, that I was a total moron when it came to driving. I knew 1/10th of what I know now and I still think the slowest NASCAR driver could probably drive a beat up civic around most tracks faster than I could drive the WRX racecar. Sure, learning the ropes from me is better than from no one, but a weekend with me in the car with you won't teach you as much as an hour with Gary in the car...

Of course, your other option is to start off in a racing program - a racing school - and learn things the right way, from the start. But before you know that you want to do that, you might want to take a trip of self-discovery and just attend some track days.

Go to google, type in the name of the track near you, add the word track day to your search, and you're bound to find some useful links (ie, google: thunderhill track day and then click on the results and you'll see names of clubs and you'll find schedules of track days. For example, you'll find links to Donutzracing and you'll see their schedule.

Then send an email to their contact info address and say "I've never been to the track, and I'd like to do a track event. I see you have one at [track] on [date]. Is there a chance you can set me up with an instructor for that event?"

That's all it takes. You'll be on your way into the pinacle of our overly expensive hobby. Track guys seem to spend inconceivable amounts of money on cars, tires, events, hotels, food, etc.

Good luck, have fun,
My time at T-hill in my Miata, CCW with the cyclone, was 2:27... 22 seconds slower than the WRX, and 6 seconds slower than Gary when he jumped into MY car that _I_ know better than anyone else and he "showed me how little I knew"

Joel

Last edited by 1.8L; 02-07-2003 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:42 PM

Exclamation thanks...

I figured that patience and some "expertise" are what are required to pull record times at tracks. However, I know for sure that I am not at that level, or close to it, seeming as though I have never been to a track...just watched an autocross, and that's about it.

In time, though, I am sure that I will attend a track day, and learn the ropes for a little while. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone, so I would tend to steer away from being obnoxious (no pun intended).

But thanks for the link info. I am sure to check it out, and time permitting, I am sure to make it to a track in NY sometime when the weather is slightly warmer. Of course I wish that I could afford to go to a racing school, such as Skip Barber, etc. but no such luck. I have a hard enough time trying to keep up with the payments on the car...(although NONE have been late).

Other than that, thanks again for the replies....keep more coming.

Later,
i.