Let Talk SCCA Classing

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Let Talk SCCA Classing

I am in the process of selling my Camaro C-Prepared car and just bought an 04 STi to use as a dual purpose car (street / auto-x)
Before I start screwing with suspension bits; I am a little unsure what classes the car runs in an mods-wise I can get away with in each class
I know the STi used to run A-stock and if you aren't careful you end up in BSP... can anyone talk about specifics?
Old 02-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Don't forget STU.

Don't know much about the other classes but STU is a street tire class. You are allowed street tires, suspension bits, exhaust, intake, tune, etc. However, you aren't allowed to modify boost.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:02 PM

I've autocrossed my '04 STi in BSP three years now and won my class 2 years. I run STi pink springs, strut braces F&R, Cusco sway bars F&R, stiffer strut tops, Cobb turbo back exhaust, Cobb Access Port (stage 2), and a tune done by Mike at GST running on 100 octane. Everything else on the car is stock. I'm at approximately 385 hp and 405 lbs/trq at the flywheel.
2008 I won the PAX Championship with this set up using Hoosier A6 tires. I'm really happy with this set up. After the tune I took it to the drags and ran a 13.08, outside air temperature that day was 95 degrees, so on a cool day I think it'll do 12.95. I belong to a small AX club but we still have a good turnout with some excellent drivers so I think this set up would be competetive at a larger event.
This year I think I'll run STU and try for PAX again without the expensive tires. The cool thing about the access port is I can switch back and forth from 19.5 lbs. of boost (BSP) to 13 lbs. (stock boost for STU) in seconds. The PAX number for STU is more favorable and may possibly make up for the difference in boost.
For you going from a big horsepower rear wheel drive to a mid-horse AWD will be a fun learning experience. Just remember you can get on the throttle sooner and let the center diff. do it's own thing in the "auto" mode.
Have fun and good luck!
Old 02-08-2009, 08:23 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
Well, you can run in AS, STU, BSP, SM, FP, or XP. It's best to pick a class and mod accordingly. AS you can do shocks, front swaybar, catback, and r comp tires. STU you can do basic suspension work (coilovers, camber plates, f/r swaybars, f/r strut tower bars), and wheels you like, but are limited to 140+ treadwear rating tires with a max width of 245. Have to keep stock boost levels, but you can do a catted tbe, intake, turbo inlet pipe (though certain ones such as the aps hard pipe are illegal due to the modifications to the fuel lines needed to install it), and header. This is the class I ran in for the past 3 years and it was a lot of fun, but the mod bug bit me. BSP is a great place to run. You basically have to run stock block/turbo, but everything's free up to/including the intake manifold. You can cut fenders to fit wide r comp tires, suspension rules are similar to STU. SM is where i've ended up. You can swap turbos/motors in this class, but it's definitely a $$$$ class. If you have any questions about a particular mod you want to do let me know and i'd be happy to point you to which class it'll put you in
Old 02-08-2009, 09:30 PM

BSP - fun class; was dominated by C4 Corvettes when I was still in the business.
Farther than I want to take a street car. SM is a REALLY cool class, but way too much $$.

Does STU limit you on chassis bracing?

I ran an FSP Mark I GTI years ago (damn that car was easy to drive), so the idea of a non RWD car is not too scary to me.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 PM

Yea it basically limits you to f/r strut tower bars. No x/v brace, trunk cages, subframes etc. Not event fender cowl braces. Can't update to the stiffer 07 ones either (no update/backdate allowances in street touring)
Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 PM

Is the front STB even worth doing? On my 02 WRX I didn't feel any difference at all (although I admit it was a crappy ebay special); and I had to worry about it wearing a hole in my AC lines
Old 02-08-2009, 10:19 PM

Honestly I don't think so. There are better places to put your money. I never ran one, and don't feel the need as the shock towers are so close to the firewall.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
wow good info soem real racers
Old 02-09-2009, 10:04 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by sigma pi
wow good info soem real racers
parking lot cone racing ftw
Old 02-09-2009, 10:43 AM

If roadracing was any harder they'd have to call it autocross