Impreza 2.2 for FSP autocross

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 10:50 AM

Car Info: Subarus!!!
Impreza 2.2 for FSP autocross

Hi All!

My friend and I are thinking about building an earlier Impreza Sedan into a FSP autocross toy. Why the 2.2? We have several engines, and much practice keeping them running. We have not selected a starter car as yet, but are leaning toward one of the early ('95ish ?) 2 doors. In the end, however, it will be whatever we can get into cheaply.
Whatever, I wonder if someone on the list has been over this ground already, and would share their hard earned knowledge.
Note that this will be a dedicated autocross car, so we can do things like individual throttle bodies, or carbs, straight pipes for the exhaust, LSD rear end, and pretty much whatever we want with the suspension, wheels, and tires. What we do _not_ want to do is spend a whole lotta money on the project; if it gets too spendy, it's not gonna happen at all . . . What we do want is a fun car that is at least reasonably competitive at the regional level. The drivers are going to be the limiting factor here, alas :-)
Any thoughts (even if they're negative) greatly appreciated.

ByeBye! S.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:52 PM

hey,

i know very little about auto-x, but i do own a 95 impreza 2 door 2.2l.

from what i have peiced together the worst dynamic of the car would be chassis flex. teh GC has alot more flexible frame then the GD. so you might try or atleast further research reinforcign teh unibody either by welding it, filling it w/ foam, or getting soem good bracing.

i have seen 1 EJ engien, and that was only a picture, with individual throttle bodies. it looked AMAZING! i have no clue how this would react or what type of gains you would see out of it. however with proper mods you can make the 2.2l very quick. with soem good exhuast(no cats), headers, maybe an intake and a tune (check out teh SMT6 perfect power) you should be rocking.

as for suspension. i knwo the megan makes some decent coilovers fro about 800. that will probabyl be the cheapest that you can get for a good set of coilovers. other wise you will have to do lowering springs. another idea is to get some ebay coilovers. i found a pair for bout 100, that had 500f/450r lb/ft springs. you would need soem aftermarket struts to back these up however, maybe AGX. you will want a larger rear sway bar for sure, a 20mm or maybe bigger. another thought is to keep teh open rear diff i have heard (only theoretically) that the open rear is better for auto-x, probably has somethign to do with keeping the back tires from breakign loose.

hope this has been some help. atleast its somethign to think about.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:36 PM
KC

Car Info: 2003 STX Pro-Solo/Solo-II National Champion
Check the motorsports forum at http://www.nasioc.com Nothing against this site, but much more traffic in regards to auto-x.

--kC
Old 01-31-2006, 08:34 AM

Car Info: 00 RS
Don't even screw with the throttle bodies. Not worth it. Get a super light flywheel (9.6 lbs ACT), some sweet suspension and tires. This is all you need for Autocross. Torque will be your best friend out there. You probably will never leave second gear. More airflow is going to eat up your low end torque, and put it all way up at the top where you're not going to need it.

So, Rockin suspension and super torquey components. Flywheel, drive pulleys. I think thats it.