GOTO:Racing Takes Second in Season Finale

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 11:38 AM

Car Info: #93 Koni Challegne Subaru Legacy GT, 96 Impreza L
GOTO:Racing Takes Second in Season Finale

11/15/2004 Willows, CA – The US Touring Cars finished their season with one of the closest lead battles to date, as veteran Tom Lepper duked it out with GOTO:Racing’s own rookie driver Brian Lock for supremacy of this 3 Mile Road course in Northern CA.

After a troubling test session, a mass-air-flow sensor glitch was corrected by the GOTO crew and the DMS/Subaru Santa Cruz WRX hit the track. Saturday qualifying saw Lepper skip his qualifying session, and Lock took the Pole unchallenged. Sunday’s Main Event included a rare rolling start for the USTCC field, one that had the Subaru at an uncharacteristic starting disadvantage. “Right from the start I knew this race was going to be different,” said Lock after the race, “the NA induction of the Accord really gave him a jump off the start, while I had to wait for my turbo to spool for full power.”

On lap two, Lock made the slingshot pass in Turn 7, but the race was far from over. In the following laps, the leaders came upon lap traffic drivers that were locked in their own battles, and no one was going to let anyone by without a fight, no matter what place they were in. “I went 4 off twice trying to avoid lap cars, and both times Lepper got by. Lucky for me he was having just as difficult a time as I was. He was forced to completely bypass Turn 7 to avoid hitting a slower car. I took advantage of course.”

Lepper was forced to overdrive turn 9 in an effort to stay ahead, giving Lock the lead again with half a lap to go. But an incredible late breaking manuver on the final turn was enough to give Lepper the checkered flag. When asked about the race Lepper replied with a smile, “He made 3 mistakes, I made 2. I won.” He went on to say, “Brian is a good guy, and he is learning fast.”

With three Poles and two podiums in just three races, Brian Lock is not only learning, but mastering US Touring Car. Next season his goals are clear: “The Championship. But with the new rule changes, I expect it will be nothing like this season at all. But that is why I came to USTCC in the first place, to learn by racing great drivers in tight fields. I can’t wait till next season!”
Old 11-18-2004, 07:29 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
hey, good job guys. brian, couldn't you have brake-torqued the turbo in order to take off with the rolling start? like holding throttle and on the brakes to generate boost.......... probably not the best thing for the car but it would probably have allowed you to have a spooled turbo right off the bat..........
Old 11-19-2004, 02:34 PM

I thought about it, but then I would probably just get out braked in one of the first two corners because my brakes would get really hot. I won't really have to worry about it though because I won't be doing them all that often.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:00 PM

Car Info: Maroon
Another BIG Congrat! on your Success in USTCC! When will we ever get a peek at those video's!

C
Old 11-21-2004, 02:03 AM

Here is the whole race of Infineon. You will want to be patient because the last 4 laps or so there is a cool battle with the out of class Spoon JDM RSX. I am working on getting the last T-hill event up, you guys will definetely want to watch that one, it is action from start to finish.

http://www.gotoracing.com/videos/brianustccbig.wmv

Enjoy!

P.S. I am going to get a better camera next year, but this is still watchable.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:00 PM

As if just reading your post is not exciting enough. I'm glad now we can watch you in action.

Big Thanks,

C
Old 11-22-2004, 11:38 AM

You really know how to use the whole track, that battle with the Spoon RSX was awsome. Its obvious you had better braking into the corners, but he may of had the weight advantage that kept him ahead. Great job!

Last edited by Mushashi; 11-23-2004 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:27 PM

Thanks! He was probably about 500 pounds or so lighter than me, that is why he could out accelerate me out of the corners. It made it really difficult to stay in front of him. Just wait until I post my last race at T-hill, that was a battle! I should have it up by tomarrow.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:43 AM

Cool, I'll be watching for it!