Going to Thunderhill for lessons this summer

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 11:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Going to Thunderhill for lessons this summer

As the subject says... I'm going to Thunderhill this summer for the High Performance Driving School. I'm sure lots of you guys have been to the class and at least to Thunderhill. Anyone have a tips for preparation beforehand (everything from the mechanical to the cranial)?

thanx,

jason
Old 03-22-2003, 12:20 AM

Car Info: Black WRX Sedan
The thunderhill class is great, I went a year ago - here's some quick thoughts:

Get your reservations in to the hotel early
bring a cooler with drinks, water - they supply some, but better be prepared, it gets HOT there in summer
Be prepared to empty your car of all micellaneous stuff - maybe bring a baggie or two for all that stuff stored here and there
Got helmet?
Bring cool attitude, you'll need it on course, and off. Folks are really nice there and I had fun swapping car stories.
Some folks take out their spare to save weight. I didn't because I wanted to learn how my car drives the way it normally is - with a spare in the back.
Fuel up before going - there's a gas station in Willows next to the hotel. Can't remember but I think I did around 100 miles or so, and the mileage wasn't so good on track.
If you get in traffic, or get slowed down, screw it, pull over at the pit, wait for a gap and go back out - it's your day to learn your car, not follow others
Check out the Rally-X courses on either side of the track entrance and consider comming out for them - they are tons of fun.

Enjoy,

Casey
former BAIC'r now NWIC'r
Old 03-22-2003, 12:23 AM

also - check out my crummy website - if you follow the links to Track Days - you'll get to my Thunderhill page - I've got two in-car videos one short, one long (with out of car shots too). Check it out. In the SCCA HPDE, you'll run on the front 7 turns like I did - plenty of variety, challenge and FUN!!

www.purelyhip.com/subie

Casey
Old 03-24-2003, 01:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Thanx Casey for the info. This is just the kind of info I was looking for. If you can think of anything else, keep on sharing .

What is this about a hotel? Its a one day event, isn't it?

jason
Old 03-24-2003, 03:06 PM

hotel info

Arrival time is around 8am, and Thunderhill is 140 miles from downtown SF. Considering you'll want to be at your most alert all day - and it will be a very long and tiring day at the track, it's suggested you drive up friday night and flop at one of the local hotels - the Best Western is poplular for $65/night - be sure to mention SCCA or AAA if you have it to get the best rate.

Casey