awd drifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 12:29 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
awd drifting

Hi all. Wasn't sure if this was posted before or not. I was wondering if you could drift an AWD such as a WRX and damage the center diff somehow.

Tim
Old 01-08-2004, 01:27 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
there has been some discussion on damaging center diffs here, but not much. some people contend that using the e-brake can damage the center diff on a WRX (the STi six speed with DCCD will disconnect it) by overheating and 'burning up' the viscous coupling fluid.

however, if you're doing it without the ebrake, it's no differant than getting the car sideways on the power. i haven't heard about any diffs going south, the 5-speed tranny tends to go first.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 96 Impreza L Sedan
About this subject, I have a 96 Impreza MT and would like to know if it's diff. is like the new WRXs and if I am at any risk using my e-brake??
Thanks,
Cody
Old 01-08-2004, 04:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
most AWD cars are at risk using their E-brakes at almost any speeds. That is what I can understand from other discussions. Cheers

WRX Rush
Old 01-17-2004, 08:55 PM

Car Info: 04 wrb wrx
if you use the e-brake to drift, its not drifting. drifting a car is induced by weight transfer, like slamming hard on the brakes to transfer weight to the front so the rear wheels will not grip as well, allowing the car to slide or drift. and when this is coupled with a slight understeer, a 4 wheel drift can be accomplished
Old 01-27-2004, 05:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
If you say that using the e-brake to initialize a drift is not drifting, then you don't know what you're talking about. I've been doing this for years now, only a year with my WRX but 2+ with FR cars and e-brake is a BIG part of drifting. The pros use it so bring that up with them.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:12 PM

Car Info: 95 Legacy wagon
AWD drifting IS possible but I would recommend going with an aftermarket canter diff such as KAAZ or Cusco and adjusting the torque split to 30f/70r... the viscous fluid in the center diffs wears down with time, heat, and abuse so it is best for the long run to go with an aftermarket center diff with the right preload.

BTW I have a sick video of Rhys Millen doing AWD drifts in his rally prepped EVO VII...just plain sick

JAN
Old 01-27-2004, 10:49 PM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Originally posted by InfamousDX
If you say that using the e-brake to initialize a drift is not drifting, then you don't know what you're talking about. I've been doing this for years now, only a year with my WRX but 2+ with FR cars and e-brake is a BIG part of drifting. The pros use it so bring that up with them.
He is right, the e-brake is a big part of drifting, there are instances were you simply HAVE to use the e-brake to initiate the drift... Watch some professional drifting videos and you will see the e-brake used quite often. All the drift cars have the latches on their e-brakes removed.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:04 PM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
The best method for drifting AWD however is the feint drift, a.k.a scandanavian flick, a.k.a sway drift. Anyway basically you turn away from the turn and then flick the car back in sharply and use the inertia, oh yeah a.k.a. intertia drift, to bring the rear end out. I'm sure most of you have seen this video shows the best example of AWD drifting I've ever seen. It's an inertia drift by the JUN evo. It is almost flawless, screw almost, it is flawless. As you can see from the in-car video it involves a little (read: buttload) juggling of the wheel (not like a RWD drift) and of course balancing the throttle properly. Of course 500hp helps a lot too! Oh yeah, he won the drift competition...

http://www.rennfotos.de/videos/junevo1.mpg

http://www.rennfotos.de/videos/junevo2.mpg

http://www.rennfotos.de/videos/junevo3.mpeg

Last edited by KmanRuffian; 01-27-2004 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:08 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
Kman is right, the feint/scandinavian flick/rally flick technique is the best way of getting an AWD sideways -- espescially on loose surfaces. doing it on pavement is pretty damn hard unless you've got bald tires or are going quite fast. it takes quite a bit of weight transfer to overcome the tire's grip on dry pavement.

Quick Reply: awd drifting