Advice for a rookie autoxer

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 08:30 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan 5spd
Advice for a rookie autoxer

I recently purchased an 04 WRX and have intentions to autox it over the summer. My roomate has a 1976 BMW 2002 which he has autoxed for a few years so he plans on being my coach. However, due to the fact that a wrx is very different than a 2002 he can not give me much specific advice on my car. If anyone has any basic advice on minor upgrades for the car that would be great. I don't have much money to blow on performance parts at this point and I would also want to avoid voiding my warranty. So any pointers on inexpensive upgrades (tires maybe?) would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 RS, Subrosa Letum
The VERY first thing you should do is figure out what class you would like to compete in. Some modifications will limit you to certain classes.
For handling, the best results come from a larger rear sway bar with stiff endlinks then probably wheels and tires.

I recently found out about understeer on a wet highway off-ramp and am seriously considering getting a limited slip front diff'.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:02 PM

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon - Java Black
The best way to spend your money is on "seat time". Enter as many autox as possible. After you have learned how to drive your car effectively, then start making upgrades to the car that will be consistant with the class the car will run in. The first change would be better tires as the factory RE92's are garbage from a dry weather/performance driving standpoint.

While your friends BMW is very different (lighter, rwd etc) the basics of autox are the same. Learn the course. Walk it as much as possible before driving. Think "ahead" and look ahead when on course. Add a few pounds of air to the tires and have fun Good Luck!
Old 12-31-2003, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the advice. I plan on running the car completely stock at first. Plus the RE92's will be good in the snow of the crappy PA winters. However, this summer I may get new tires and save the RE92's for winter. Any recommendations on a good performance tire that still has all season capability?
Old 12-31-2003, 10:06 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
i would highly suggest running your first auto-x season completly stock (tires and all). this will really help you learn the car. once you are doing well with that, then figure out what class you want to be in. stay in d-stock or go stx or street mod, or esp and mod your car accordingly. do your mods in slow increments, only one thing at a time. that way you can see how that new part affects the car and can learn to drive it again. one of the biggest mistakes that i have seen people make is that they start off racing with a heavily modified car and they don't do well for at least a year or so cause thats how long it takes them to learn the car and they are always getting beat by stock or near stock cars

a stock car doesn't take as long to learn on cause it is so much more forgiving. a modded car doesn't have as much room for error and so it can be more difficult to learn

and tires is the best spot to start for modifications

there is my $.02
Old 12-31-2003, 10:11 AM

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon - Java Black
I'd recommend checking out www.tirerack.com. Once there you can compare almost every "decent" tire, from all-season to competition tires. You can check there specs (tread rating for instance) and reviews of buyers.

Be sure to check if your local autox events will allow you to run different tires. Some regions are very strick about treadwear ratings, sizes and the use of "r" compounds. Others, of course, couldn't care less.

I've heard good things about the Falkon Azenzus (sp?), but I've never used them. I use Khumo Victoracers for autox, but they wear so quickly I don't use them on the street.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:40 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Believe me I'm taking notes. I'm stoked for my first autox which may be sooner than later if I get enough of a break from my college classes to do some of the local club's winter events. My roomate agree's with all you in saying to leave my car stock so I can learn it well. My wallet and I both agree that its a very good idea. I'll be needing the money for a helmet anyway.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:41 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
for the car, change the alignment. i don't think that most stock classes bind you to the stock alignment. putting more front camber will help reduce understeer, espescially if you replace the stock RE92s with something more grippy. running something along the lines of -1 to -1.5 in the front, and -.5 to -1 in the rear will help, and is cheap.

from a driving standpoint, pay lots of attention to the course. walk the course several times, and learn it well. visualizing a run before you drive it can help to, ditto visualization in between runs. picking out markers that won't move for braking, turning in, and getting on the gas will help to. things like paint lines on the pavement, patches and the like are pretty good if you're out on an open airfield without many points of referance. oh yeah, and relax. don't take it too seriously, and be prepared to be slow the first time out.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:35 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally posted by dropkick_muppet
. oh yeah, and relax. don't take it too seriously, and be prepared to be slow the first time out.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:30 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX in World Rally Blue
SCCA classification rules web site

I got this from a member of the Kansas City Region SCCA chapter:
_ http://moutons.org/sccasolo/index.shtml

He did say that this site is for reference only - whats there is NOT binding at the track. If this site doesn't match what is printed in the SCCA rules book then the rule book wins. He also said that if you're going to auto-x, its a good idea to get a copy of the book. They don't cost much, and it helps a lot to have one handy since the competitor, not a tech inspector, is responsible for classifiying the car at an event.

The autocross guys I've talked to said that if you don't want to get into a battle of the checkbooks, stay in the bone-stock class. Good tires and a catback exhaust are about the limit of what you can put on and stay there.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: evo
talk to all the cool people that will be there, cause will you get some good advice and maybe some bad but it will be a blast for sure.

Quick Reply: Advice for a rookie autoxer