??? about dccd and autoXing

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 09:46 PM

Car Info: WRX STI 2006
??? about dccd and autoXing

I have a 06 STI should I run it in auto or lock or where when I go autoXing I am going to my 1st event with the sti. I am used to driving a ls1 camaro and thats way diffrent then this beast. any dvise would be a big help.

Thanks
The kart
Old 10-01-2005, 12:56 PM

Car Info: '05 STi
from what ive read lock is for gravel only because its too hard on tranny otherwise
Old 10-01-2005, 02:15 PM
VIP Member

autooo
Old 10-01-2005, 04:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Auto, otherwise play with it. Huh camaro to an Sti, that's step in a different direction. Keep you revs high and DCCD in auto, you should have a pretty good time.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:11 PM

I agree with the others, Auto seems to work best for me.

On a side note, it might matter less on an '06, since the torque split is now limited to 41/59 instead of 35/65 as it was on 04's and 05's. The Auto setting on '06's is also supposed to be quicker to react to yaw changes.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:37 PM

auto worked ok. Then I ran all they way back dropped a 1/2 sec then next one up 1.2 sec off my time. That worked the best I tried them all. I think r compounds are going to be my only mod for next season or that and coilovers and maybe swaybars. Thanks all for your help.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:55 AM

Did you feel like you drove the course the same? I have trouble being consistent enough to trust my times. Last local event of our season is this sunday, maybe I'll mess with the DCCD after all.

BTW, depending on how seriously you plan to take autocrossing, you may want to hold off on coilovers. There are some mods you can do without leaving stock class. Front Sway bar (VERY MUCH WORTH IT, especially on race tires) and cat-back exhaust are open to modification / replacement in stock. Coilovers are a definite class bump, and the stock shocks are actually pretty good...

Just my .02, you've gotta drive what you like.

Last edited by Itazura; 10-05-2005 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:59 AM

Car Info: 06 Aspen White STi
Talking

Auto off, bias all the way to the REAR!! Rotates the car so much better and eliminates a lot of the understeer.... my fastest times were all from full rear bias.

Same goes for going on a track...
Old 10-08-2005, 08:09 AM

I felt I did cleaner when It was one up from all the way back. There was alot of understeer. I am still getting used to driving it.It a whole lot diffrent then running a 4 gen z28 with 315x4 and a bbk. I will start with the sway bar. The cat back I need to find something quiet. I ran longtube headers and no muffler for 4 years. I want to find a pretty quiet exhaust. Thanks all for the help.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:50 PM

At our season ender event yesterday, I did some experimenting...

First 3 runs (of 5) were in auto, because I wanted to post a good time and it's what I use most. (it worked, my 3rd run held up and got me a 1st place trophy.)

41.819 (+1 cone)
I felt that time was pretty strong, and moved to full rear bias on the center diff.

41.767 (+1 cone)

switched back to auto for comparison's sake

41.414 (+2 cones)

it's hard to describe without having a course map, but there was an offset gate section that went up a hill from the start, followed by a medium length (top end of 2nd gear) left hand sweeper on the hill (lots of camber to make it a pretty easy turn). With the DCCD in rear bias, I had just enough oversteer to be tons of fun. The jury is still out on this one, until I can figure out how to get split times at an auto-x.

The next section was a series of 5 S-turns that actually drove like a slalom, with the last 2 "flicks" being shorter than the first 3. I didn't feel much difference here between the two settings. I think I drove pretty much the same (other than the second run, where I took out the cone from slow-hands-itis) and I suspect the car's "brain" had already set the car to a rear-bias during this section of the course.

After the esses, it was another left hand sweeper through 3 tight-ish offsets and a gorgeous, long, fast 7 cone slalom that ended through the finish gate.
In the tight stuff, I really felt the difference between the auto and rear bias settings. In auto, when I let off the brakes to start my turn I could (almost) immediately mash on the gas and let the front pull me out of the turn, and the back would follow along. With the DCCD on "rear", I hit the gas and plowed (severely) through the cone on the outside. I definitely feel that the auto setting was faster here, although if I were a little more patient and / or set up for the corner differently I might have been able to negotiate this better than I did.

In short, I think that different courses / conditions affect the DCCD brain differently. Also, bear in mind that my car is damn near stock (although I run in STU) Faster stuff seems to suit the rear-bias well, although if your inputs are smooth I think the computer will set the diff. there anyway. In slow stuff, my answer right now is to stick with the auto setting, but I'm less sure now than I was earlier in the season. I will be messing with this more next year, for sure!

BTW- I goofed the 5th run early, so I decided to get ultra-aggressive for the rest of the course to see what was left in the "raw time". I snagged another cone in the last slalom (inside rear tire, just a hair too close to the cone.) In retrospect, I should have run with the DCCD in rear again to see if I could adjust to the way the car reacts... oh well, next time!

Last edited by Itazura; 10-10-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:10 PM

I need to go out to a scca event and also join. I been going to american autox events and those are big and fast coarse. I need some 710's and a extra set of rims.