Ford's future in WRC uncertain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 11:10 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
Unhappy Ford's future in WRC uncertain?

uh-oh, on top of all the new rules it looks like there might be one more manufacturer dropping out of the WRC or contesting a limited schedule:

http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/News/2003/0...rdDecision.htm

i'd hate to see Marko Martin and Francious Duval out of the WRC due to budget problems. financial issues seem to have plagued Ford for the last couple of years. They dumped Sainz and McRae because of money issues, and had a hard time getting the new Focus developed. hopefully they'll work something out, and be able to compete during the whole season next year.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:40 AM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
forget ford, i heard subaru was thinking about dropping out due to the rule changes!!!!

probably just politics, but sheeit. that would suck ***.

and i don't foresee marko martin having any trouble finding a new ride. i think skoda's looking for drivers. i think martin would team up well with tina turner... can you say roadhead?
Old 10-20-2003, 11:56 AM

i haven't heard anything about Subaru dropping out due to rule changes, but you're right, that would be a much bigger concern than ford anyday. my guess is that it's just a public complaint about not getting something that they wanted in the 2004 season, but i thought it was worth mentioning.

if ford did drop out, i think it would be hard for Martin to find a new ride. McRae hasn't found a new ride for next year, and with teams only running two car, i don't know where a seat would open up.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:07 PM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
Well that's okay. Let Ford drop out. We could sign Marko Martin instead of Richard Burns and we would have one hell of a team.

Petter Solberg and Marko Martin. OH YEAH!!!!

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Old 10-20-2003, 12:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
All you guys talking **** about Burns. He'll fit right in next year. As for Ford, I just read the same thing on WRC.com. I have a hard time buying that story. I can understand though, adding two rallies is going to be quite a bit more expensive, although the lack of the gravel car/crew will cut down on that expense somewhat. I really like Ford in the WRC and with their history in the sport, I think they really want to be there as well. At least Malcolm does

-Brian
Old 10-20-2003, 02:47 PM

Malcolm Wilson definitely wants to be in the WRC, but he is the director of the program, not the bean counter. it'd be a shame to see them drop out, as it would mean less competition, and worse racing for the fans.

now, as for signing Marko Martin to Subaru, i have two thoughts:

1) hell yeah! he'd be quick, and it'd be fun to watch him drive the WRC impreza.

2) he used to drive for Subaru!
Old 10-20-2003, 05:46 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
That would be a shame if Ford dropped out... i dont like them much but it would be a big loss to the amount of competition in WRC
Cheers
-jeff
Old 10-22-2003, 07:02 PM

I'd really hate to see Ford drop out, they have such a long history in rallying. Ford is my second favorite team behind you know who. The new Focus has been doing really well, and of course Martin and Duvall are talented young future stars. You would think that with all the money Ford pours into motorsports, they could spare a few million for the WRC, which is growing in popularity every year.

BTW, with VW's considerable coffers behind them, why can't Skoda do a little better?!? With Hyundai out, the WRC can't afford any also-ran teams. I'm glad Mitsu is returning, without some more competition, it looked like the WRC was going to become an all French affair.