Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

amateur photographer

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010 | 10:04 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Price of used glass is almost close to what they are new. (in most cases) I would avoid buying used if you could.
Good glass doesn't deprecate.
Old 11-24-2010 | 10:07 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by soggynoodles
Price of used glass is almost close to what they are new. (in most cases) I would avoid buying used if you could.
you didnt read the OP did you? Budget is 1k. You cant really get a camera and good glass for that much
Old 11-24-2010 | 10:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Yeah, and lenses have too many moving parts that can be abused to be comfortable buying one used. Also, if it isn't a weather-sealed lens, who knows if anything has gotten inside. Lastly, if it's from Mike, you have NO IDEA where that thing has been.
Old 11-24-2010 | 12:51 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx
Originally Posted by Simonster
join us
we'll see
Old 11-24-2010 | 01:26 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by theheckwithyou
we'll see
no sorecal allowed.
Old 11-24-2010 | 02:21 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by adizon
Doh, my dream set-up, although I wouldn't mind adding a Canon 10-22mm to the arsenal.
It is awesome I am not going to lie. BUT with a 580exII in the bag and all that glass it is really limiting how far I can go.

For the OP
http://www.black-friday.net/digital-...ck-friday.html
Old 11-24-2010 | 02:21 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Yeah, and lenses have too many moving parts that can be abused to be comfortable buying one used. Also, if it isn't a weather-sealed lens, who knows if anything has gotten inside. Lastly, if it's from Mike, you have NO IDEA where that thing has been.
It shoots **** well JK JK JK JK
Old 11-24-2010 | 02:22 PM
9 to 5 mod

no sorecal allowed.
We both have shots for hte competition in teh photography forum
Old 11-24-2010 | 03:37 PM

no sorecal allowed.
Old 11-24-2010 | 03:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by sigma pi
It is awesome I am not going to lie. BUT with a 580exII in the bag and all that glass it is really limiting how far I can go.

For the OP
http://www.black-friday.net/digital-...ck-friday.html
Get a purpose bag. You don't always need all that gear. I have a bag that fits my camera w/ 17-40 mounted, 580exII in the side pouch with room for my 50mm 1.4, charger, USB cable and hood for the flash. It's for when I don't need any telephoto. Really easy to pack for long distances if needed. The 70-200 is not something I would ever have along with me "just in case" since it's too massive and expensive. Maybe someday!
Old 11-24-2010 | 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Get a purpose bag. You don't always need all that gear. I have a bag that fits my camera w/ 17-40 mounted, 580exII in the side pouch with room for my 50mm 1.4, charger, USB cable and hood for the flash. It's for when I don't need any telephoto. Really easy to pack for long distances if needed. The 70-200 is not something I would ever have along with me "just in case" since it's too massive and expensive. Maybe someday!
mike is one of those shooters who's always ready for the awesome shot, and plus his camera kit isn't that big. sure those f2.8 glasses are heavy but its only two glasses. i have seen him haul both of those glasses with him even if hes eating a burger hahaha.

however you haven't seen nothing yet, mike u wanna tell them about your "strobist" kit?
Old 11-24-2010 | 04:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
mike is one of those shooters who's always ready for the awesome shot, and plus his camera kit isn't that big. sure those f2.8 glasses are heavy but its only two glasses. i have seen him haul both of those glasses with him even if hes eating a burger hahaha.

however you haven't seen nothing yet, mike u wanna tell them about your "strobist" kit?
That is the long path toward becoming someone who only uses a Point-n-Shoot. I remember helping my dad carry his collection around everywhere which eventually morphed into 3x camera bags packed with Nikon gear, tripods, lights, etc. One day he said to hell with it and has had nothing but point and shoots ever since haha..

I'm kind of that way with my G10 any more. Unless I am somewhere I want to grab a specifically good photo like out shooting cars at the track or kids playing sports, this little guy has never let me down.
Old 11-24-2010 | 04:31 PM

That is the long path toward becoming someone who only uses a Point-n-Shoot. I remember helping my dad carry his collection around everywhere which eventually morphed into 3x camera bags packed with Nikon gear, tripods, lights, etc. One day he said to hell with it and has had nothing but point and shoots ever since haha..

I'm kind of that way with my G10 any more. Unless I am somewhere I want to grab a specifically good photo like out shooting cars at the track or kids playing sports, this little guy has never let me down.
haha actually my dad was like that too... with his canon AE1 program, and gave it up for a point and shoot.

i'm too poor to buy a 70-200L i usually go with a XSI 17-85mm, 50mm(maybe) and a 580exII. But i'm not going to deny if i had a 70-200L i would have it on me all the time.... okay maybe not hahaha
Old 11-24-2010 | 04:46 PM
9 to 5 mod

Insurance is $100-150 a year for ALL my camera stuff (I dont want to say how deep I am in $ wise), so I really dont care that it costs a lot. I leave the charger at home. I have a grip so that lasts weeks. It is not massive. It is about a foot long though now lugging around a 500mm that is over kill :lol; and heavy and huge. (I do not have one)

also f4 vs f2.8 there is a big difference in weight and size. More so how much ISO shutter speed and if I can use ambient. I have 28-135 f3.5- like f5

I have two strobes and two hot shoe flases

OH believe me I use my camera phone more I dont use the point and shoot anymore because I think my camera phone is a close second I brought the camera to the burger place for the photo competition in the photo section here. I bring the kit out once or twice a week. Today i am going to the LA auto show so I brought it.
Old 11-24-2010 | 04:59 PM

Simonster, here's my take on this super awesome world of expensive crap, okay not as expensive as playing with cars.

My family has always shot Canon so it was shoot Canon or be disowned, easy choice there.
I would recommend any of the rebel series to start off except the XS. I have the rebel XSI (which is discontinued), t1i is a great starter camera and if you get the t1i kit that comes with the 18-55mm that would run u about 700 bucks and buy a 580ex2 flash which is another 400 bucks total 1100 and your set!

The what i did when i first started i bought the xsi body and a 50mm f1.8 prime and the images i got from the 50mm was amazing. Of course Soggynoodles would say the 50mm f1.8 is made out of plastic and can break while trying to mount/dismount the lens.

A rule that was told to me is that you invest in glasses (lens) not the camera body.

Quick Reply: amateur photographer