Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Updated photos of my 2004 Bugeye converted STI

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Impreza Bugeye STI
Originally Posted by Jakes02
Thanks for the info. I am assuming the radiator is oem?
Yep, stock for now. I haven't found enough facts about all of the after market radiators yet to determine which one performs the best.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
Sleeper Status. Damn thats awesome dude a friend of mine has had this idea for a while whats the total price wise on this project?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:49 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bluej20
Sleeper Status. Damn thats awesome dude a friend of mine has had this idea for a while whats the total price wise on this project?
Far from cheap... But other than the painting and radiator support welds and AC recharge I did all of the labor(some with the help of friends!). And yeah, still not cheap.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
same friend as bluej20's....did you buy the parts new or find a donor car to swap with?

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 10-05-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:25 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MBasile
same friend as bulbj20's....did you buy the parts new or find a donor car to swap with?
Everything is new. I did get lucky and sell the entire '04 front end to a guy from Dallas that rallies and wanted an extra set of body parts; that helped a little, but didn't nearly cover the cost of the JDM(Aqua fenders and Z/S bumper) body pieces I used.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:48 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
I'm still a big fan of your car. Overall look is great IMO. Bugeyes rule! Keep up the great work!
Old 10-07-2006, 07:05 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by prototypeWRX
Headlights don't make the car go faster nor handle better... I had those headlights left over from when I used to own a 2002. That and I believe the later model STI in japan came with non-projector headlights...

See, from Japan :

But after I build up the internals and a bigger turbo I might add projectors.
Yeah, why change the headlights when you can change the entire front end for thousands of dollars extra? I mean, it's common sense.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:15 PM
VIP Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Drift My WRX
Yeah, why change the headlights when you can change the entire front end for thousands of dollars extra? I mean, it's common sense.
They're just headlights... The car drives the same w/ projectors or not. The bumper adds down force to the front end. I autox(now, and track in a couple months) it

It didn't cost me any more to put the bugeye front end on than it would have to get wider 04 fenders, a vented cf hood and a front bumper. Not to mention, I had the bugeye bumper and fenders already because they were going to go on my 2002 bugeye, but then I decided to trade the car in for an STI. The OEM radiator support and upper tie bar were like $~200 to do the conversion... So yeah... $~200 conversion in my case.

Your so-called "common sense" is nonsense.

Last edited by prototypeWRX; 10-07-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:10 PM

They're just headlights... The car drives the same w/ projectors or not. The bumper adds down force to the front end. I autox(now, and track in a couple months) it

It didn't cost me any more to put the bugeye front end on than it would have to get wider 04 fenders, a vented cf hood and a front bumper. Not to mention, I had the bugeye bumper and fenders already because they were going to go on my 2002 bugeye, but then I decided to trade the car in for an STI. The OEM radiator support and upper tie bar were like $~200 to do the conversion... So yeah... $~200 conversion in my case.

Your so-called "common sense" is nonsense.
Was the front end on your car totaled? Sorry, still don't understand why you would change the front end on your car instead of keeping it stock. The 04+STi has awesome projectors. I'm not trying to be a dick, you've got a real nice car, just don't understand your logic.
j
Old 10-07-2006, 08:25 PM
VIP Member

Red face

Originally Posted by Drift My WRX
Was the front end on your car totaled? Sorry, still don't understand why you would change the front end on your car instead of keeping it stock. The 04+STi has awesome projectors. I'm not trying to be a dick, you've got a real nice car, just don't understand your logic.
j
I like the bugeye look better than the04+ look. And as I mentioned, I had all of the parts already so I went for it. That and stock is boring(my opinion) and the after market front I used is more aerodynamic(fact) than a stock front. And I was able to sell the 04 entire front and made back more than enough money to cover the cost of the paint and welding of the bugeye parts.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:00 PM

I like the bugeye look better than the04+ look. And as I mentioned, I had all of the parts already so I went for it. That and stock is boring(my opinion) and the after market front I used is more aerodynamic(fact) than a stock front. And I was able to sell the 04 entire front and made back more than enough money to cover the cost of the paint and welding of the bugeye parts.
So many more questions enter through my head, but hey, bugeye love! I have an 03 WRB WRX, and definately love it, I've just had it for 4 years, and am ready for the 05's, 06's are growing on me slowly, but definately a sweet car man.
j
Old 10-07-2006, 11:58 PM

Car Info: Sti
Why did you decied to ditch the APS FMIC? Anything you didn't like about it? I'm considering getting one myself any advice?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:31 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BigPimpinTwinki
Why did you decied to ditch the APS FMIC? Anything you didn't like about it? I'm considering getting one myself any advice?
There was definitely a lot more turbo lag with the APS.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:50 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
How's the process west? I noticed it's a little smaller than the APS. I was looking through your pictures, it that the new bumper beam above the fmic? does it require any modification other than said bumper beam?

Last edited by Jakes02; 10-08-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:02 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Jakes02
How's the process west? I noticed it's a little smaller than the APS. I was looking through your pictures, it that the new bumper beam above the fmic? does it require any modification other than said bumper beam?
Comes with the bumper beam. It just bolts on.

Quick Reply: Updated photos of my 2004 Bugeye converted STI