Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

My new project. Many pictures. 2800 baud users beware.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 01:45 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
Originally Posted by EiGhT08ImPrEzA
i got dibs on the hood!!!! id like to buy the hood please, let me know when u want to sell and how much. also i want the rims. let me know asap
damnit.. why didn't i think of this!

didn't think it was in good condition
Old 10-25-2006, 12:45 AM

Car Info: None.
Someone wanted the rear seat headrests...was it someone from Hawaii?
Old 10-25-2006, 01:07 AM

Car Info: 5.4RS
no it was a guy from nasioc on the mainland
Old 10-25-2006, 08:45 AM

Crud. I can't find an e-mail or PM from him. I'll have to post in the "for sale thread."

Thanks again for your help yesterday!
Old 10-25-2006, 12:48 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
no problem it was in the want ads you emailed him
Old 10-25-2006, 12:55 PM

Day 1: (10/24/06)

Pulled the Bumper, all lights associated, fenders, inner fenders, side skirts, hood. Then pulled the intercooler, all engine harness connections. Pulled radiator, a/c condenser, intercooler. Plugged up holes.

Last edited by Latka; 10-25-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:44 PM

Location: mr. police officer,im not as think as you drunk i am....
Car Info: 02 wrx
You got pm
Old 10-26-2006, 12:42 PM

Response sent!

Today I'm hoping to get (most of) the interior removed and maybe start on the dash.

If all goes well I might pick up the engine hoist and cut out the radiator support stuff so we can yank the engine real soon.

Pictures of course if there is any progress.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Hey Latka...nice job finding that donor.

BTW I would use those 2002 seats...they're great...probably the best seats out of all the recent Imprezas...who cares if it clashes!

Good luck on the project...we're pulling for you.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:03 PM

I would use the '02 seats...and yes, they ARE comfortable. My OCD would kick in though and I'd spaz that the front and rear didn't match.

Update!

Day 2 (10/27/06)

Today I had some help. Dsbaruuuu and 2.5 DOHC (Dave and Fran) came over to help. Fran has the crazy RS with the STi engine in it, and Dave has an RS with a WRX swap. Old ones... I think GC8...either that's the 4 door or ...hell, you guys know what I mean. They both have 2 door RSs.

Anyway - Dave and Fran came over to help. We rocked some breakfast first and then they got started on the interior.

There was a lot of work in there, but after a while we finally got the seats, dash, center console, etc out of the car. I'm supposed to work more on it tomorrow to get the beam out as well as the blower, AC, and Heater stuff. We'll see how that goes!

Once the interior was done they moved to the front half of the car. We pulled the driveshaft out, pulled the half shafts out of the front end, drained stuff, and got ready to pull the motor. Since the '02 Wagon shall never ride again we decided it was going to be easier to cut the front than lift the engine & tranny WAY out over all the stuff.

Eech. Lots of wrench turning to get the stuff out! Dave keeps saying, "ah, that was the easy stuff." Sounds like tougher times are ahead.

We talked about the dash swap and decided we *might* not do it afterall. Might just try to get the single color dash for the "L" (it's currently two tone) and rock that instead. I much prefer the '02 setup, but if it's going to make the project that much longer then it might be easier to just keep what I've got. I'd rather have the car on the road and be able to drive it, that's for sure.

So, will tomorrow be day 3? Only the shadow knows!

-Andy
Old 10-28-2006, 11:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Wow, it's so odd how the driver's door looks like a glass window that had a baseball thrown through it.

Awesome find. Awesome project. I'm jealous.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:01 PM

I have no idea why they cut the door handle off the driver's door, but that's what it sure looks like. The mechanism might have been messed up or something like that.

Thanks for the encouragement though. Right now I'm really trying to decide on wether or not the WRX dash swap is going to be worth it. I'm sure it'll look *****in' when it's in the car, but man that's going to be a *lot* of work.

(edit) (sigh... I forgot about the stupid Disneyland filter on the vBulliten Board software). What if I was talking about a female dog?
Old 10-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
You've got a nice garage setup there! Air tools, hoist... Jealous!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:44 AM

Holy crap it was OCTOBER the last time we really worked on this car. No wonder my "better half" is pissed off at me. Yikes.

A small update for now. I'll have to take some new pictures and post 'em up so you can see that something is actually happening.

Pulled pretty much all of the rest of the junk off of the 02 Wagon. The stupid wiring harness (entire car) weighs like 70 pounds!!! Pulled the carpet, the sound deadening stuff, etc. Right now the front half of the interior is bare & white. The other day we pulled the front and rear subframes as complete units with the steering rack, crossmember, struts, etc... and then the diff, rear suspension & all of that stuff. Holy crap that front crossmember weighs a few pounds.

Last night Big D and I were at it again - pulled the EJ22 out of the 98 "L". We thought we were going to separate the engine from the tranny but some of the bolts were giving us trouble and it was too late to use the air tools... so we ended up taking the whole thing out at once. Couldn't really cut the radiator support / front end like we did on the '02 - even so, I was suprised at how easy the actual lifting of the engine was.

Now we've got to pull the ...err... I'm supposed to go home and pull the front and rear subframes from the L so we can swap it over to the '02. Once that's done I need to slap some wheels on the wagon so we can get some company to come drag it away. Speaking of which - anyone got some 5x100 PCD Steel wheels? I'd rather not spend too much on the wheels since they're just going to go to the scrap yard or wherever.

Once we get the 02 suspension / drivetrain on the L car we're going to start the wiring. ...and by we, I mean Big D. He wired up his car and said that he'd do mine as well.

I gotta pick up a FMIC and the Japanese bumper support, but hopefully I can purchase those in the next day or two. Going to keep the flat hood look, 'ya know. No spoiler, no badges... equal length headers eventually. I want it to look like just another Honda Accord.

-Andy
Old 03-06-2007, 10:55 AM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
will the wheels be comming back or you gonna trash em? i got a set you can "borrow" if i'm gonna get em back, otherwise i got one spare tire you can have. just gotta find 3 more. gl

Quick Reply: My new project. Many pictures. 2800 baud users beware.