Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

The mini-mod forum! (odd ball mods have a new home)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Ash

Car Info: 02 WRX wgn full STI swap
The mini-mod forum! (odd ball mods have a new home)

This is a great idea. I'm happy to share my small projects with fellow I-clubbers.

Name's Ash- the car's an 02 WRX wagon
The intent is to abuse it over 200,000 miles or so. I drive my car off the beaten path as much as possible and abuse the hay out of it. Which has led to all sorts of small changes here and there. Aside from the APS rt spec engine and other normal mods.

Need more light at night? I bought a couple H4 55/100watt motorcycle bulbs at a local shop and squeezed them into the stock fog lights. So now whenever I turn on the high beams I have an extra 100watts out of each fog light in a rather large flood pattern. While not quite as bright as a couple kC daylighters, they're way stealth and you'd never now any different when the normal fogs are on.

What you need... There's alot to this mod. You'll need a 30 amp auto relay ($6-8 at radio shack), some power wire (10-14awg), the wrx wiring diagram, and some talent with a dremel.

1-use the cut-off wheel on the dremel to cut the small welds on the side of the bulbs that hold the round part to the body.
2-drill the hole out on each foglight just large enough to get the H4 through the hole (you'll still be able to go back to the stock bulbs if you're carefull). I used an air compressor to blow the small shavings out of the lights but there weren't many.
3-crimp the base of the bulb body with a pair of pliers just so it'll squeeze in flush in the hole. use the same retaining clip to hold the bulb in that came out with the stock bulb
4-wire the low beam side of the bulbs to the stock fog light wiring. I cut mine thinking I could always put them back together. wire the high beam side to the to the relay and the relay to the hot lead going to the stock high beams as a trigger.

I realize this is not very detailed... Just trying to get across the scope of the work. I'm happy to help any and all accomplish this or any of my mini mods... just send me a PM for more detail.

more to come...

blinking lights when locking and unlocking with remote
cheap lumbar support in seats
stealth stereo amp in the rear hatch (wagon only)
1" suspension lift!

Cheers,

Ash