Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Kellie's 2002 GT35 WRX wagon

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon x2
Thanks, everyone. Gotta go clean up the wiring in the engine compartment now. It's a total mess.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
I rike
Congrats kells
Old 07-26-2011, 08:57 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by soggynoodles
I rike
Congrats kells
Thanks, Sog-EE! <3

Holy messy wiring, batman.

The following pictures are what I found when I went digging tonight. I ran out of zip ties and electrical tape, so I don't have any after pictures.

Name:  12506435.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  59.7 KB
Name:  a3f19594.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  77.8 KB
Name:  1149e26a.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  72.0 KB

And here's what it looked like when I called it quits tonight. Not perfect, but significantly better than before. I've definitely got my work cut out for me.

Name:  4f4f7fba.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  98.0 KB

Last edited by kellie; 08-07-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:44 PM
VIP Member

Chunk of wiring harness from the first picture of the last post now looks like this. Only a few areas left to clean up. Should be done tomorrow. Yay.

Name:  AfterWiring.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  77.8 KB

Any suggestions for making brackets that aren't ghettofabulous? I can wire, I can diagnose, I can fix things, but I can't fabricate to save my life.

Name:  e0e792ad.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  83.5 KB
Name:  bbf32e16.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  80.6 KB
Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 PM
VIP Member

Picked up a friend for my car today. Spent the evening swapping over little parts that my car needed. Glovebox latch, dash trim, center console lid, etc. Tomorrow or Wednesday, I'll do the roof spoiler (mine is cracked), some trim pieces, try to make the washer tank fit, keyless entry control unit (it's not working for some reason), and whatever else I think of as I go along.

Also got the engine harness, so I think I'm going to make a new one for my car since mine is kinda hacked up. It's coming along!

Name:  1059705a.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  103.2 KB
Name:  f76ca8aa.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  89.6 KB
Name:  ab712f40.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  52.8 KB
Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 PM
VIP Member

Crossed a few more things off my list this afternoon:

-Installed washer tank. Front washer nozzles are working now. The rears aren't. Going to have to look into that at a later date.
-Replaced the cracked roof spoiler with a good one.
-Removed the Utec map switch and installed a new blank button in its place.
-Replaced firewall trim strip that was torn and hanging loose.
-Cleaned up more wiring under the dash.
-Diagnosed my ABS light (missing fuse...yay for easy fixes).
-Started to look into my inop keyless entry issue.

Still to do:

-Inspect the vehicle speed sensor and figure out why the speedo intermittently drops out.
-Remove the cluster and figure out why the trip reset button doesn't work.
-Remove the TXS knock light.
-Figure out a better way to mount my boost controller so there's no more gaping hole in my dash.
-Replace the scratched center vents and dash trim.
-Replace AC condenser.

And on and on and on...
Old 08-04-2011, 09:40 PM
VIP Member

My evening:

Name:  efdbb058.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  27a769d8.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  85.7 KB

Knock light is removed. I figured out that the little button thing that's soldered into the cluster circuit board has failed. Trying to figure out what my options are now, as I'm not sure I trust my soldering skills enough to try to replace it. Not to mention finding one...

Still no clue what's up with my keyless entry. There's a ton of crazy wiring under the dash and behind the stereo. I'm exhausted just thinking about it. Wiring diagrams are burning me out already. I've been on a roll for the last month, but I'm getting tiiiiired.

Oh, and I ordered two 3" catalytic converters yesterday. Fingers crossed that I pass emissions.

Last edited by kellie; 08-04-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:28 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kellie
Still to do:

-Inspect the vehicle speed sensor and figure out why the speedo intermittently drops out.
-Remove the cluster and figure out why the trip reset button doesn't work.
-Remove the TXS knock light.

-Figure out a better way to mount my boost controller so there's no more gaping hole in my dash.
-Replace the scratched center vents and dash trim.
-Replace AC condenser.

And on and on and on...
The bolded ones are done.

The wiring in the dash wasn't so bad. It's more or less done. Keyless entry is working (swapped in the control unit from the parts car and now it works). Replaced the dented right front door outer handle. Replaced a bunch of clips and miscellaneous pieces that were broken. Still need to order a couple of things for it though - mainly the clips that hold the washer lines to the hood. And need to figure out why my rear washer nozzle doesn't work too.

I'd post pictures, but the pictures I took really don't show much. Unless you want to see my door handle. That sounds dirty. The car is getting closer and closer to being finished.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:46 PM

Car Info: 1994 wrx wagon (ya the real thing)
ahhh that engine bay is way clean now!!!

car is in much better hands then mine. keep up the good work kellie.

and more pics!!!

whens it getting a prodrive front lip

Last edited by kyledupreez; 08-07-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:58 PM
VIP Member

Thanks, Kyle! I'm going to take good pics of it after I detail it, but that probably won't be for another month or two. Prodrive front lip? Probably about the time people stop building steep driveways and installing speed bumps. I don't think I could ever have a front lip, I'd tear it off in 3 days.

But it's so pretty...

Okay, maybe after I replace the front bumper.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:59 PM

Car Info: 1994 wrx wagon (ya the real thing)
haha that why you have custom made wood ramps to get over said obsticales. haha thats what i do.

prodrive on tha sitting a little lower with wider wheels would look so clean!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:21 PM
VIP Member

I was concerned about the placement of the cats for emissions testing because the only place to put them was in the middle of the car and I worried that they wouldn't get hot enough. Ended up being a total non-issue though. Had some v-bands put in, made a catted section with two 3" cats, drove straight from the exhaust shop to the emissions station and passed with flying colors. I turned the boost all the way down, and the results were:

HC - 0.1545 GPM (limit 1.2 GPM)
CO - 2.5505 GPM (limit 15.0 GPM)
NOx - 0.2266 GPM (limit 1.5 GPM)
Old 08-23-2011, 04:22 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
nice!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 PM
VIP Member

I'm almost embarrassed to post about this. Almost. It's been a long week and it's only Wednesday...I think I need to stay away from cars for awhile.

Yesterday when I got to the smog station and turned off my car in the smog bay, it started smoking like crazy. I popped the hood and saw that the coolant line to the turbo was leaking. I pulled the car into the parking lot, let it cool off, then cut off the end of the hose and put it back on. The hose had BURNED to the nipple on the turbo. It isn't exactly rated for that sort of heat. Pulled the car back in, they started testing it, and it started spewing coolant again. I forgot to put the cap on the reservoir. Go me.

Then I took the car to the drag strip tonight with the cats still on it. On the way there, I noticed that it was running super rich...anywhere from 11:1 to 9.5:1. My first run, I knew something wasn't right. It wouldn't boost past 12-13 lbs. Hoping it's just a boost leak, but it was too dark to see much of anything. It was my first time ever drag racing, and my best 60' was 2.561. My best time (don't make fun of me) was a 14.624@106.85. Big, huge, gigantic fail.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by kellie
I'm almost embarrassed to post about this. Almost. It's been a long week and it's only Wednesday...I think I need to stay away from cars for awhile.

Yesterday when I got to the smog station and turned off my car in the smog bay, it started smoking like crazy. I popped the hood and saw that the coolant line to the turbo was leaking. I pulled the car into the parking lot, let it cool off, then cut off the end of the hose and put it back on. The hose had BURNED to the nipple on the turbo. It isn't exactly rated for that sort of heat. Pulled the car back in, they started testing it, and it started spewing coolant again. I forgot to put the cap on the reservoir. Go me.

Then I took the car to the drag strip tonight with the cats still on it. On the way there, I noticed that it was running super rich...anywhere from 11:1 to 9.5:1. My first run, I knew something wasn't right. It wouldn't boost past 12-13 lbs. Hoping it's just a boost leak, but it was too dark to see much of anything. It was my first time ever drag racing, and my best 60' was 2.561. My best time (don't make fun of me) was a 14.624@106.85. Big, huge, gigantic fail.
If I remember correctly... I think it's running a 1 bar wastegate spring. Sounds like it could be one of the vac lines running to the wastegate.

Enjoy the car... it has a LOT of potential. The car full tilt was the baddest Subaru I've ever had the privilege to drive. Down right scary.

def

Quick Reply: Kellie's 2002 GT35 WRX wagon