Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

just installed my SPP precision optics bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 11:44 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

I also ordered and received my bulbs from them. I have an H1 for my JDMs I took the one bulb out and put the new SPP bulb in... When standing OUTSIDE the car the SPP bulb looks VERY clear, a nice clean white, if that is possible...lol I said to myself nice, something that doesn't look like that cheap ebay crap. The bulb IS tinted with blue... after much reading I was disappointed by that but I said I would still give it a shot. Put the other bulb in and also very clean looking. Decided to go take a spin, I really can't tell if there is anymore light out put... to be completly honest I think there is less, although the light is nice and clean looking I still think the stock bulbs that were in my JDMs put out more light, but they are that nasty drab look.

On a PLUS note though at the same time I put in the SPP bulbs in my head lights I also bought PIAA crystal Ions. They are excellent! I was never a fan of yellow fogs but these are simply awesome! Even driving through a tunnel with my damn sunglasses on I could see the yellow light...heheh I have the mesh foglight covers, so it DOES prevent some light to show through and shine, but I will comprise that because I do about 60 highway miles a day to work, and would rather have a rock hit the mesh then break the forglight housing since it's glass..

Overall though I do like both bulbs, the SPP's look very clean and white from the outside but don't really have the light output I was expecting where as the Ions look fantastic and when looking at them straight on you see all shades of the light spectrum, purple, blue, yellow, white. :-)

-Nigel
Old 12-23-2003, 01:12 AM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
Honestly, In my opinion, if you're going to spend enough money for japanese made headlight bulbs, go for the tinted ones. Buying those very slightly tinted (like PIAA Superwhites) would probably leave you disappointed, in both color department and how the road is lit, considering what you paid for them.

Almost every headlight bulb has an improved lighting claim, like 55W=100W or something to that effect; those numbers don't really mean much. They *say* that it emits light equivalent to a bulb of higher wattage, but in reality there's hardly any difference. The only respectable bulbs that actually emit more light via better filament design or gas mixture are Philips Visionplus Or Philips XtraVision.

As others have said, a tinted bulb will actually decrease the amount of light put down on the road. The thing is that a lot of people don't really notice the difference mainly because the halogen bulb puts out so much light in the first place, it isn't readily apparent how much they've dimmed. There is a tradeoff of how much you want to see and what kind of color you want. As you get to darker blue bulbs the black road starts to blend into your headlights, leaving only the road markers to guide you. A person that drives more in the city and doesn't need to see so far ahead because the streetlights wash his/her headlights out anyway wouldn't need to care, but a person living in the countryside where there are long, dark roads would benefit greatly from bright lighting and could avoid an accident ..

Nowadays, there are tons and tons of different tinted bulbs out there. Many of them may be originating from the same factory in Taiwan, or Korea, but no one really knows. All of them have the usual claims in big fonts on the outside of the box they come in. Some of them lie about the kelvin ratings .. (6000K, etc.), some of them don't. One particular brand to avoid that is being sold on ebay is called "Euro Dezigns". But what appears to be the case is that the JDM headlight bulbs are usually of higher build quality.

I'm not sure if you're into the tinted bulbs, but there is a wide variety of japanese tinted bulbs out there that range from very light tint to a dark tint, and even some that are coated with a chrome outer layer to prevent your headlights from looking blue when they are off. Most japanese bulbs have coatings of good optical clarity too. Oh, lastly, for some reason I have never seen any overwattage JDM bulbs. That means you are assured that the bulb will not blow a fuse or burn any headlight wiring common to those other bulbs that are ramping up the wattage to 80w and 100w, all while the packaging claims the bulbs being brighter while using stock wattage.

All in all, you should buy bulbs according to your needs and preferences, but try not to be fooled into some of these stupid claims made by some sellers.

I don't know why I started babbling about this. Must be something in the Jamba Juice I drank. Damn fiber boost hahah . . . .

Well, I hope this was helpful in some way! Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Laters,
Dan